Which camera better for sports photography? (300D and D70)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sound-of-rev

Sep 15, 2003
Hi all,

previously i owned a F717 and it simply couldnt make it in the field of sports photography. The shutter lag is too slow and I always missed the moments.

I sold it and now got a budget of about 2.5k. I read most of the threads comparing these 2 cameras and found out that more prefer the D70 for action photos. However, i went to visit some 300D bros photo gallery and saw their sports photographs, I think theirs not bad too. I guess its really the man behind the lens.

So, with a budget of 2.5k, should i buy
1) a slower 300D, so that i can save about $300 more
2) a faster D70 to further assist me in taking action shots (Im not really pro as i just started out 1 year ago)

Some extra questions..

Which zoom lens should i buy? preferbably more incline towards taking action shots. Is tripod a must when at maximum zoom?

hmm thats all for now :D

d70 got no vertical grip..or when is nikon bringing it in? :think:

i tink the lens come into play too...generally both should do ok wat...

SpitFir3 said:
nope not 1DS..

D2H or 1D or 1DMKII

high fps cams
ops :embrass:

anyway, sound-of-rev should consider the system as a whole instead of just these 2 cams

quekky said:
ops :embrass:

anyway, sound-of-rev should consider the system as a whole instead of just these 2 cams
yah.. so which system u guys think is better?

10D is not good enough, so 300D :nono:
may be D70?
Lens at least 70-200 f/2.8

Hahaha...F5...weewoot...honestly 300D and D70 CMI for sports. If you shooting sports exclusively, save up for a much faster digi body, ideally D2h or the canon 1D MkII. Or better yet, get a nikon F5(weewoot) or a EOS1v(weewoot) and use the remainder of your cash for a fast zoom lens(f2.8 minimum)...speed is what u need.

sigh... sad to say, i also agree D70 and 300D CMI. if u want to capture fast motion sports, min a high-end D2x series or the 1D... and MKII! :bigeyes: and, yup, like patryk said, min F2.8. i tried using my 300D to capture a fast dance sequence recently... sigh... no go. :cry:

if we take a look @ film bodies:

f5: 2000 bucks+
f100+grip: 1500 bucks+-

1v+grip:2000 bucks+-
3+grip:1500bucks+-
1n+grip:1300bucks+-

clive said:
if we take a look @ film bodies:

f5: 2000 bucks+
f100+grip: 1500 bucks+-

1v+grip:2000 bucks+-
3+grip:1500bucks+-
1n+grip:1300bucks+-

remember to factor in the cost of a good lens. A F100 with grip gives you 5fps and you have just about enough to get a used 80-200/2.8 :D

wah judging from the comments..majority say both D70 and 300D CMI for sports..
that means not much difference when using D70 and 300D when shooting action pics la?
Mostly i will shoot soccer actions.

Anyway...the cameras u guys recommend is wayyyyy above my budget.

If 300D and D70 not much difference when taking action pics, i think i rather get the 300D, save $$.

So what lens u guys think i should get?

thats why i strongly believe that this "pure brand" combo is still by far the cheapest 2nd hand worth:

1n+pbe1: 1000 bucks
28~70L: 1200 bucks
70~200/2.8L non IS: 1400 bucks.
2xtc: 300+bucks
total: ~4000 bucks

compared to f5: 2000 bucks
afs 28-70: 2000 bucks
afs 80-200: 2000 bucks
2xtc: 300+bucks
total: ~6500 bucks

even with afd 80-200 (@1200 bucks), the canon equivalent combo is still ~1000 bucks cheaper.

[warning: this is just a side by side comparison. purely stating the price facts only. do not read too much into it ;-) ]

with this combo u can shoot..well, virtually anything :cool: :devil: with the exception of losing out abit on the
-longer side (>400mm?)
-"available-darkness" side (faster than f2?)

for soccer:
-minimum requirement: "any" make of 70/80~200 f2.8 and 2x tc

-absolute minimum cost: "any" make of 70~300 f4~5.6

why recommend something that high priced?

like a friend shared with me, for sports, it's either the frame counts or not. i would certainly discount the 300D a little, but still possible. 10D works fine too. but between 300D + D70, i'd settle for D70.

a 70-200 or 80-200 f/2.8 lens is a compulsion for sports (generally speaking, depending on the sport). but 300 f/2.8 and above it required only IF you're a fulltime pro, of most of us are not. :)

a 300D/10D/D60 is good enough...
all you need is a fast lens..f2.8 for faster.... :bsmilie:

oh, and a couple more tips for you:

1. use only the central AF point
2. get used to your camera's shutter lag
3. anticipate moments of action and shoot just before BAM! impact
4. don't fire a GPMG :D
5. tripods are NOT welcome. monopods are good though.

remember, there is no better camera. there is only a system you'll like or don't really get used to using, because in another person's hands, it can do the job you can't do it with. :)

the camera body is no doubt important, but wide aperture lenses are a must - because you can close the aperture down, but you can't open up the aperture of a "slower" lens ;)

Between a D70 and a 300D I can't comment on which camera to choose as I do not own either. However to dispute the fact that cameras or lenses other than the highest end 'pro' stuff just can't do an apt job for a hobbyist in action photography, I have to disagree. If the buffer is too small and write speed too slow, learn to anticipate the action. If the lens is too slow in low light or to freeze action, bump up the ISO or choose an event in better light. With the low noise sensors even on budget DSLRs, I doubt this will be a problem. Remember an article on Luminous Landscape stating that on a 10D (similar sensor as on 300d), the noise level of an ISO 1600 photo looks similar to that of film rated at ISO 400. What's important is to hone one's skill first.

This is my first attempt at action photography and I had a 10D w/o vertical grip, using a 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens. Not fantastic but it is possible.

My 2 cents. :)

Absolutely. D70 CMI my @r5e.

If you have a bottomless bank account then fine. If you have no bank account to speak of, then even a 300D will do. Between the two, the D70 is significantly better for shooting sport. Yes you can get nice pics with a 300D so to a good extent it's the photographer that counts. But give the same snapper a better camera, and his pics get better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.