Which camera bag to choose from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luenny

Sep 5, 2007
Hi all,
Newbie question here. I currently have a camera bag that holds all my camera equipment but it is a cheap one and it is not weather proof. I would like to know from the seniors here if it is wise to spend extra money to get a good weather proof camera bag for my DSLR or not? If yes, which brand should I go for (not too expensive please).

im using a Domke J-1 !!

Hmm ... can I know how much is it? Is it weather proof (i.e. camera won't get damage if you're caught in a heavy rain)? Other information (how much can it fit, where did you buy it, etc)? Sorry really new to this. Thanks.

Mine is Lowepro Backpack. So far protected my camera from a few heavy rains liao. Got it for $159

Hmm ... can I know how much is it? Is it weather proof (i.e. camera won't get damage if you're caught in a heavy rain)? Other information (how much can it fit, where did you buy it, etc)? Sorry really new to this. Thanks.

i bought it 2nd hand - $250
saw in cathay photo - $451

as i dun have much equiptments, i juz settled with it. the bag condition is still good.

made from balistic nylon, water resistant. u can google it though : Domke

Hi all,
Newbie question here. I currently have a camera bag that holds all my camera equipment but it is a cheap one and it is not weather proof. I would like to know from the seniors here if it is wise to spend extra money to get a good weather proof camera bag for my DSLR or not? If yes, which brand should I go for (not too expensive please).

what u have now? and what's the items that u normally bring out? u can see all the recommand here are very x...

What I am having now is a brandless bag that I bought a long time ago. It is nylon I think but it is those clip on type not zipper type which means there's a big hole on the side where water can get in if it rains. My equipments are Nikon D200, SB800 and 3 lens (I think the biggest lens I have in terms of physical size is the Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro VR).

What I am having now is a brandless bag that I bought a long time ago. It is nylon I think but it is those clip on type not zipper type which means there's a big hole on the side where water can get in if it rains. My equipments are Nikon D200, SB800 and 3 lens (I think the biggest lens I have in terms of physical size is the Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro VR).

What's your budget?

can try the BS section for 2nd handbag, quite a worth for value..

got a Lowepro stealth reporter 100aw at $48
can hold my 350D with kit lens, 50mm f1.8 and 70-300mm lens...
still got some space (for a flash).

however i do recommend a backpack, cause before u know, your equipments are getting heavier and heavier...:sweat:

if you dont have too much gear, and dont really plan on adding too much i'd recommend the lowepro slingshot aw. when i was using it it housed my xti, 17-85is, 70-300is, misc filters,cleaning gear, charger, etc... think i could have fit one more lens or flash.

it has a cool weather covering that covers your bag, saved my gear plenty of times (lowepro bags with AW in the model have this covering...so you could choose a better suited bag).

cool thing about the slingshot is that you have easy access to your camera, instead of a backpack where you have to take it off, grab your cam and then put it back on....

try the Lowe pro Nova series
Quite value for money
Nova 4 AW should be good enough
check ebay can get it for below 100

Well, if you have friends going to HK, can get them buy bags for you. Seems alot cheaper there. Got my F-2B for about SGD$175.

Was using the crumpler for my 30D and a few lenses. Bought it new at $170.
Good padding inside but not sure weather proof or not.

I have a billingham hadley pro and a crumpler 7mil and a lowepro slingshot 200. I did not get a backpack cuz I need to take out my cam easily. My first bag was the billingham then it became too small so I got the crumpler. The crumple can fit quite a numer of things but it is really heavy and tiring onthe shoulder. So I got the lowepro. The slingshot design seems to distribute the weight much better than a normal shoulder sling bag. Will put the slingshot to test on my upcoming trip to shanghai. I have carried all my bags on overseas trips so comfort is REALLY impt if you are bringing it aroun for 2 weeks.

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Hmm ... seems like there's a lot of choices here but the lowepro and crumpler ones seems to be the popular choice. Can I know where is the website for crumpler? Is it available locally?

I think I will need to get a backpack design because I have a huge tripod to bring along and I think some bag packs allow you to hook the tripod up with it right? Currently I have to sling my bag on one shoulder and sling my tripod - which I'm told is around 6kg on another shoulder. It makes it very hard to do anything without dropping either the bag or the tripod. Other than backpack design, is there any other design that allow you to carry the bag and tripod together? Thanks again.

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Hmm ... seems like there's a lot of choices here but the lowepro and crumpler ones seems to be the popular choice. Can I know where is the website for crumpler? Is it available locally?

I think I will need to get a backpack design because I have a huge tripod to bring along and I think some bag packs allow you to hook the tripod up with it right? Currently I have to sling my bag on one shoulder and sling my tripod - which I'm told is around 6kg on another shoulder. It makes it very hard to do anything without dropping either the bag or the tripod. Other than backpack design, is there any other design that allow you to carry the bag and tripod together? Thanks again.

This is the website: http://www.crumpler.com.sg You can also go to their stores at Wheelock, Paragon or City Hall. TK Foto at Beach Road has a good selection too.

Thanks Galdor. I guess the best is still to check out the actual product and see for myself. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.