Which Camera Bag is Faster? Fastpack 250 or Slingshot 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

movingmoments

Sep 24, 2007
For those who are fortunate to have these two renown bags or maybe in the midst of getting rid of one, which has better accessiblity in getting your equipment out in a moment notice?

I am considering the fastpack primarily because it can accomodate a notebook but am unsure how the camera can be whipped out quickly like the slingshot can. Speed is a deal breaker for me as much as I would like to carry everything in one bag.

Thanks for your feedback!

If you are buying a new bag, then the answer is neither.

If you are thinking about speed (photojournalism), then the choice is simple.

For lower budget, it is the Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter Series.

For a slightly bigger budget (by not too much), you have KATA SB-902/904/907. See Marky's SB-904. I am sure he will tell you how amazing the construction and materials are.

I owned all the bags before and my main bag is now the SB-907 because I have to carry my computer and all my gear for assignments. It is a little heavy, but I am using the Insert Trolley, so that takes the load off my back. Worthy investment into a bag designed by the folks from the Israeli military (ex-commandos).

For those who are fortunate to have these two renown bags or maybe in the midst of getting rid of one, which has better accessiblity in getting your equipment out in a moment notice?

I am considering the fastpack primarily because it can accomodate a notebook but am unsure how the camera can be whipped out quickly like the slingshot can. Speed is a deal breaker for me as much as I would like to carry everything in one bag.

Thanks for your feedback!

Slingshot 200 confirm cannot carry notebook plus your camera and gear. Fastpak 200 is plenty big and has another compartment for a small - medium notebook. Fastpak 250 must be bigger than, I assume. So if u only have these two choices, your choice is clear!

For a slightly bigger budget (by not too much), you have KATA SB-902/904/907. See Marky's SB-904. I am sure he will tell you how amazing the construction and materials are.

I owned all the bags before and my main bag is now the SB-907 because I have to carry my computer and all my gear for assignments. It is a little heavy, but I am using the Insert Trolley, so that takes the load off my back. Worthy investment into a bag designed by the folks from the Israeli military (ex-commandos).

But don't your shoulders hurt after slinging it for long periods? My do. :bsmilie:

But don't your shoulders hurt after slinging it for long periods? My do. :bsmilie:

KATA makes an awesome sling/strap call the APSS. Very nice. Distributes the weight very evenly and it is broad, like a bass guitar strap. Designed to be used with heavier loads (like my KATA OC-84 super carrier). Makes my life easier.

Also, your shoulder and back muscles grow stronger to accustom itself to the weight. Lowe Pro makes the worse straps. Totally useless. But then again, good straps costs a lot more to make than the standard generic ones. So you get what you pay for.

KATA makes an awesome sling/strap call the APSS. Very nice. Distributes the weight very evenly and it is broad, like a bass guitar strap. Designed to be used with heavier loads (like my KATA OC-84 super carrier). Makes my life easier.

Also, your shoulder and back muscles grow stronger to accustom itself to the weight. Lowe Pro makes the worse straps. Totally useless. But then again, good straps costs a lot more to make than the standard generic ones. So you get what you pay for.

Maybe I should get a good strap. Was thinking of getting a backpack instead. But it will be harder and slower to reach my camera. :)

Maybe I should get a good strap. Was thinking of getting a backpack instead. But it will be harder and slower to reach my camera. :)

An alternative is to buy a "backpack converter strap system" for your shoulder slung bag. I will bring one down and show you guys when I am back for the kopi session. Cheers.

Slingshot 200 confirm cannot carry notebook plus your camera and gear. Fastpak 200 is plenty big and has another compartment for a small - medium notebook. Fastpak 250 must be bigger than, I assume. So if u only have these two choices, your choice is clear!
Fastpack 200 cannot carry notebook IIRC. While the camera and lens compartment is the same for Fastpack 250 and 350 they are designed to carry 15" and 17" notebook respectively.

fastpack 200 has no laptop cmpartment...there's fastpack 250 n 350 with the laptop compartment..the bigger number are the bigger in size.

just got the fastpack 250 and trying it out... but sure feels sturdy and a lot better then the slingshot, esp when i can share my load on both shoulders instead of just one...:)

My reason for the Slingshot and after having using it for a while is the ability to swing the bag to front and get the gear out almost instantaneously and that I mean without having to remove the bag, squat down, unzip, take out the camera, zip up, wear the camera strap over the neck, pick up the bag, wear it over the shoulders and shoot.

The Slingshot advantage is also the ease of which one could change lens uncumbersomely, all by having the bag swung right in front of you and out of the way by swinging it back. Very neat. But unfortunately it does not accomodate a laptop; besides, upon prolong use my lower back hurts which is most likely due to the uneven weight distribution, caveats of carrying a weighty sling bag.

When I first laid eyes on the fastpack, it seems to marry the best of both worlds: speedy access and storage for a laptop in the form of a lower back friendly backpack. But upon closer examination, I still couldn't figure how to access the gear without first removing the bag and correct me if I'm wrong is feature promoted for the fastpack(quick access).

So for those of you who have the fastpack 250, please ascertain if quick access is possible like the slingshot and if it lives up to its claim, show me how it is done. Thanks!

My reason for the Slingshot and after having using it for a while is the ability to swing the bag to front and get the gear out almost instantaneously and that I mean without having to remove the bag, squat down, unzip, take out the camera, zip up, wear the camera strap over the neck, pick up the bag, wear it over the shoulders and shoot.

The Slingshot advantage is also the ease of which one could change lens uncumbersomely, all by having the bag swung right in front of you and out of the way by swinging it back. Very neat. But unfortunately it does not accomodate a laptop; besides, upon prolong use my lower back hurts which is most likely due to the uneven weight distribution, caveats of carrying a weighty sling bag.

When I first laid eyes on the fastpack, it seems to marry the best of both worlds: speedy access and storage for a laptop in the form of a lower back friendly backpack. But upon closer examination, I still couldn't figure how to access the gear without first removing the bag and correct me if I'm wrong is feature promoted for the fastpack(quick access).

So for those of you who have the fastpack 250, please ascertain if quick access is possible like the slingshot and if it lives up to its claim, show me how it is done. Thanks!
You swing it like what u do with Slingshot. The fastpack has similar excess area like the Slingshot. ;)

More information: Lowepro Fastpack Camera Bag, NEW LOWEPRO FASTPACK BACKPACK SERIES IS LIGHT ON ITS FEET AND HEAVY ON FEATURES

You swing it like what u do with Slingshot. The fastpack has similar excess area like the Slingshot. ;)

More information: Lowepro Fastpack Camera Bag, NEW LOWEPRO FASTPACK BACKPACK SERIES IS LIGHT ON ITS FEET AND HEAVY ON FEATURES

Thank you DiCam,

Pardon my concerns, I am getting a bit technical here, how do you swing a back pack to the front like the slingshot? For the slingshot, all you need to do is loosen the strap and drag the bag from back to the front, but I can't figure how it can be brought to the front for a fastpack.

It may sound dumb of which I beg your pardon but please enlighten nevertheless. Thanks!

i believe is just take the strap off the right shoulder,swing it infront and open the zipper

Tks for sharing. Which shops sells Kata bags? Will like to check it out.

Cheers...

i believe is just take the strap off the right shoulder,swing it infront and open the zipper

thanks. I was wondering about the same thing.

I also own a slingshot 200 and I am really pleased with it. Previous bags are a billingham hadlep pro and crumple 7mil. I like to have easy access so gear so I usually use shoulder bags. The slingshot 200 is ALMOST as convenient as a shoulder bag and is MUCH easier to carry than a normal shoulder bag. Esp when you strap on the waist stabiliser.

In some ways it is more convenient than a shoulder bag. Example, when it is swung in front, it can be used a pretty stable platform to take waist height shot when used with my E330.

I don't carry a laptop so the slingshot 200 is a perfect fit for 2 bodies + lens. + some space at the top for PSP, other barang barang

Tks for sharing. Which shops sells Kata bags? Will like to check it out.

Cheers...

Search their website (www.kata-bags.com) and there is a link to their reseller in Singapore. You can order from them.

saw some kata bags at tk photo. At Shaw towers. Check them out. their sales people quite nice and friendly... :thumbsup:

just bought the prism u at 2nd floor peninsula plaza at k13 marketing, do ask for bargain the boss will definitely will give you a lower price.

just bought the prism u at 2nd floor peninsula plaza at k13 marketing, do ask for bargain the boss will definitely will give you a lower price.

how much u bought? u have to know the retail b4 headed there...if they do gave u discount

Status
Not open for further replies.