Which Camera Backpack to buy..???

RaydenOng

Dec 20, 2011
Hi everyone.. I am looking for a camera DSLR backpack.. I have a DSLR body with 2 lens currently but I would be getting a full frame camera in the future and maybe 1-2 more lens for it.. Previously I am using the Manfrotto Veloce backpack.. Its a nice backpack but I sold it after using it twice because the items that are inside the compartments of the bag toppling over and the support of the bag isn't very good and I feel very heavy carrying that backpack.. Considering backpack from Deuter but they are not designed for camera or with the compartments although the bag provide superior support..

Anyone have any good recommendations for a camera backpack which can store 2 DSLR body and lens with good support when carrying it on the shoulder?

Apologies for the long phrase and appreciate your recommendations..

Thank you

RaydenOng said:
Hi everyone.. I am looking for a camera DSLR backpack.. I have a DSLR body with 2 lens currently but I would be getting a full frame camera in the future and maybe 1-2 more lens for it.. Previously I am using the Manfrotto Veloce backpack.. Its a nice backpack but I sold it after using it twice because the items that are inside the compartments of the bag toppling over and the support of the bag isn't very good and I feel very heavy carrying that backpack.. Considering backpack from Deuter but they are not designed for camera or with the compartments although the bag provide superior support..

Anyone have any good recommendations for a camera backpack which can store 2 DSLR body and lens with good support when carrying it on the shoulder?

Apologies for the long phrase and appreciate your recommendations..

Thank you

Apparently finding a good camera bag is harder than finding a good camera !!

Can consider Billingham coz I'm using it. But quite pricey also :/

Depends on TS want a Sling or backpack...

Sling would be Billingham..or thinktank, Domke not bad..but have to look out for the hooks..scratches easily.

Backpacks will be Crumpler (beware of fakes..)
Kata etc.

you might want to have a look at Vanguard Adapter series…
I've used Kata, Lowepro and the Vanguard Uprise bags before and i too had plenty of trouble finding backpacks…keep buying and replacing my bags..I now own about 4 backpacks :)

However, i really love the Adapter 46 vs the others i own.
Why?
1) It's big and very light. The bag alone only 1kg and that's VERY light for a large bag. I previously made the mistake that the bigger the bag the more i can put..yes it can but it got soo heavy i couldn't carry it..so this was the LIGHTEST one i could find that met my needs.
2) It holds a 13" Macbook
3) It has a tripod holder
4) it has a secondary storage for my other stuff on top ( i don't like those bags that carry nothing but camera gear with no "shopping" space)
5) It holds my FF body with a 70-300,50mm,85mm,24-105, 17-40 and a flash…so basically a body and 4-5 lenses plus shopping space :)
6) It's cheaper than all the other brands and quality also very good..although i think the Vanguard brand isn't as well known as Lowepro or Think Tank but brand isn't everything…

So do give it a look..it's really a rather good bag.

I use the Think Tank Airport Ultralight V2.0 and like it very much. It holds 2 bodies and a couple of lenses. If you don't mind the weight, you can also slot a 13-15" laptop in front. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/pdfs/ThinkTankPhotoAirportBagComparison.pdf

It also helps if you want to carry on as luggage and not appear too conspicuous :)

I'm currently using the Lowepro fastpack 350 which fits my 7D with batt grip and 17-55, my 70-200 F4, my 10-22, my 50 F1.8 (sometimes), my YN465, and another emoblitz flash. That's the lens compartment btw. The accessory compartment fits my wireless triggers, spare batts, umbrella, rain cover for my bag, and etc. Still got pouches here and there for my polariser and my mem cards. It has a waterbottle netting at the side, and also a pouch for a laptop of up to 15" comfortably (17" can I think, but a bit tight). Love this bag. Comes in 3 colours too =P

But anyways, even if you're not gonna carry so much, have a look at Lowepro's bag finder. The fastpacks have an easy access to your DSLR which I really like. Very useful, unless you always have your camera out.

I have 2 bags, the Crumpler 5MDH and a Fastpak 250.
Crumpler 5MDH is great for local walkabouts where usually you know where you are going and what to expect with just 1-2 additional lenses.
Fastpak is great for overseas travel with more lenses, esp the longer telephotos.
Happy bag hunting!

toxicboy said:
Curious - where'd you get the raincover? Been trying to get one for my 250 but no avail...

Are you refering to me? Took it from an old bag that I had many years ago. I heard camping/traveller shops might sell. Can't remember the name of the store the guy at Cathay Photo recommended. Think it's travel planet or something similar.

want good support? think tank liao.. no fight..

think tank streetwalker is not bad
the new airport series also good

cos i just sold the streetwalker hard drive and bought the accelerator :)

ThinkTank. for all that gear.

Billingham only has sling bags. basically it means if you're lugging all your gear out for a shoot, your shoulder (left or right) will ache afterwards.

i have:

a Crumpler 7 Milliion Dollar Home which can fit my gripped body + lens + 2 additional lens + flash + misc items but my shoulders will hurt. i tried lugging everything during my last year 5 days HK trip. at the end of everyday, i felt really drained. about $170, can't remember the exact amount.

a Lowepro FastPack 250 which can fit what the 7MDH can fit + more spaces for personal items, due to the separate space on top of the lens compartment. in additional you can also put in a 15" laptop too. only gripe i have is the lack of tripod holder which i DIY-ed by using bicycle hook. not the glamorous way but hey, it worked well. got it for $120~

a Think Tank StreetWalker Pro which i got due to the attractive offering during IT Show 2012. it can fit what the FastPack can hold, less the laptop and i think with careful thought in configuring the space, the StreetWalker Pro can definitely hold more gears BUT at the expense of your personal items because all you have it a big empty space for equipments. the padding and build is top notch, this is where the FastPack pales in comparison. offer price was $189, normal price is $209.

a Billingham Hadley Pro which i just acquired to hold bare minimum setup - gripless body + lens + 1 additional lens + misc items. exquisite and timeless design, downside is the cost. please contact Mr PK Chan for price.

:)

Last edited: