Which cam for travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragos

Jan 17, 2002
Apex Circle
www.adamteo.net
Which camera would you recommend for travel/tour purposes?

Have a Pro90 and a 20D.

Pro90 served me well, but it is dying...haha...not enough pixels, IMHO.

20D is heavy!!!! Brought it to KL for my trip in Dec 2005...and nearly died under its weight...

Thinking of getting a everyday cam which I can bring around or maybe for tours.

Thanks.

ahah Train hard loh ... :p
Bring you 20D climb up and down your block ..

I have been Walking with it too .. :p

cannot lah....carry baby already ard 12kg liao...

bag with 20D and lenses...can die..

I almost died travelling with an old school F601 and huge zoom lens... that's why when i got my first dslr, light weight and ease of travel with it was the most important factor (camera mostly for travel purposes). So I got the 350D.

If you're looking at getting another dslr.. then definitely for quality and lightweight it's the 350D or the Pentax *ist. I'm sure between this two the canon will win cos u're already used the interface and you can also share lenses with your 20D.

If a dslr is too expensive.. a prosumer perhaps? But a top end prosumer cam is already nearly as expensive as a 350D.

What you're looking for is a P&S camera with a relatively huge LCD screen, 6 and above MPs... Plenty to choose from...

You choose the camera that you think is light for your standard.
Some can carry the 20D about with additional lens and tripod while others can't.

Can consider 350D with kit lens..

A 350D with the kit lens or with a 50f1.8 is a very light combo in SLR world I think..

Forget abt the filters as these lens r cheap enuff to take the risk.

I'm used to lugging around an EOS 3 with batt grip, lenses, flash and tripod for hols. I can move quite freely around, having even been hiking often with that set-up. Of course I only use backpacks/beltpacks, it makes a lot of difference to the comfort levels. Messenger bags are murderous and can actually skin your shoulder.

Sometimes you really need the wides and since I can't quite afford a 5D yet, I still use film for travel. Prosumer cams usually can't give you the super wides that you need on occasion for landscapes.

Besides a compact point and shoot camera, there are few other choices. If you were to get a 350D, it is only marginally lighter, considering you are already carrying a 12kg load on your back. Try to look for something pocket-sized. If you're using it just for casual, fun shots, one of those Ixus cams should serve you well. Add a pocket tripod or bean bag to that, and you should be able to do some longer exposure shots.

my advice: keep the 20D... AND the baby :D if you're serious about getting shots, especially with fast response, the 20D with a zoom will prob be enough, and much better than a fiddly and slow compact.

my son is 12kg. it's a weight. but a dslr actually makes shooting easier IMO. get the shot fast, get back to minding baby sooner.

Stoned said:
I'm used to lugging around an EOS 3 with batt grip, lenses, flash and tripod for hols. I can move quite freely around, having even been hiking often with that set-up. Of course I only use backpacks/beltpacks, it makes a lot of difference to the comfort levels. Messenger bags are murderous and can actually skin your shoulder.

Sometimes you really need the wides and since I can't quite afford a 5D yet, I still use film for travel. Prosumer cams usually can't give you the super wides that you need on occasion for landscapes.

I Think I m going to Put Dumbells in my bag laio ....
;p

I travel quite a lot for work. Most of the time I just have my s45 or a70 with me. When I m on holiday with family, it's the s45 and my JVC videocam mostly. However, if I must have my 10D, I'll just carry one lens. Either with my Canon 28-105mm or Tokina 19-35mm in a lowepro bag that fits just nicely... not too heavy at all.

I have a 28 - 200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 USM that stops down to 0.5m for macro to use with my 20D when I walk about. I find this lens most useful as you can capture most things although its a little soft at times. Light and unobstrusive, when discretion is required in the not-too-safe areas. A good all-round lens IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.