Which budget Wide Angle Lens for my Nikon D600 ?

Gabriel TheBear

Feb 26, 2013
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi C-Snappers,

I've been shooting with a D600 paired with either a 50mm 1.8d or 70-200 2.8. I will be visiting London in a couple of months and I am looking for a wide angle lens on a budget. Any recommendations for my second primary lens?

I have a budget of +/- 1k

Hi C-Snappers,

I've been shooting with a D600 paired with either a 50mm 1.8d or 70-200 2.8. I will be visiting London in a couple of months and I am looking for a wide angle lens on a budget. Any recommendations for my second primary lens?

16-35mm F4 VR or 14-24mm F2.8

Don't get any lens, bring and use whatever setup you have. Buy Sony RX100 mkii.(under $1k) for normal shoot and discrete. It's light weight and good low enough low light capability compact camera.

I'd think your 50mm will work for "general shooting". If you wish to have a zoom lens,

1. Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8
2. Tamron AF 24-70mm f/2.8 VC
3. Nikon AF-S 24-120mm VR

Hi C-Snappers,

Alright, if say, I want to get a lens for general shooting ( Architecture, Street shooting ) Which lens will be the best option for me?

People have different preferences for 'general shooting' some prefer ultra wide angle, some are more comfortable with a normal zoom, some also prefer tele zoom ;)

If it was me, with the budget, I would get the 18-35. Together with the 50mm and 70-200 that would cover a wider range together. The ultra wide angle also helps with bigger architecture and those which you can't step back too much

If you prefer a normal zoom for 'general shooting', then within budget maybe the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or Nikon 24-85... or stretch your budget a bit probably can still get Tamron 24-70f2.8.

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses.
The only thing that is holding me back from getting a 24-70 is whether the difference between 24 and 18 mm will affect me greatly especially when I most probably will have to work around tight spaces in the city of London.
Once again, thanks for the responses ! :)

And also,
Would it be better if I bought a brand new Tamron 24-70 ( The VC capability attracts me ) or a second hand Nikon 24-70 ?
Define "better" and its reference. Better paper weight? Better toy for your son/daughter? Better for your wallet? Better for your self-esteem? :bsmilie:
Have you read any reviews?

Hi gabriel,

I am also using a d600 and own the 18-35G and tamron 24-70 vc. If you are specifically using it to shoot lots of landscapes and architecture. I personally like the 18-35mm more. It is extremely sharp and light for its price. Only downside is the variable aperture which you can overcome with the ISO. 24-70 vc is nice and sharp but its pretty heavy. 18-35 is still sharper for wide shots imo though. I'm pretty surprised myself.

Define "better" and its reference. Better paper weight? Better toy for your son/daughter? Better for your wallet? Better for your self-esteem? :bsmilie:
Have you read any reviews?
TS is a teen, to keep the lens for his children than have to wait long long liao...

Hi gabriel,

I am also using a d600 and own the 18-35G and tamron 24-70 vc. If you are specifically using it to shoot lots of landscapes and architecture. I personally like the 18-35mm more. It is extremely sharp and light for its price. Only downside is the variable aperture which you can overcome with the ISO. 24-70 vc is nice and sharp but its pretty heavy. 18-35 is still sharper for wide shots imo though. I'm pretty surprised myself.

The only hindrance of Variable Aperture Zoom lenses is when you shoot in manual exposure mode. Other than this, is just psychologically issue of not owning a pro grade lens. ;-)