Which broadband to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
As above.

Main reason of getting is for school work such as research and watching of webcast.

Main considerations:
1. Ease of setting it up. Do not wish to open up computer if possible or need to scount for additional accessories.
2. Reliable(No frequent d/c)
3. Easy to switch connection between desktop and laptop.(Don't have to use simultaneously. :) )

Any other considerations I shld include?
I am considering between SingNet 512 ADSL or SCV cable. For SCV, I think I need to install another SCV point in my room cos only my living has it at the moment.

Any advice is appreicated. Tks.

P.S I am using SingNet 56K Dialup at the moment. :)

Sounds like me a month ago.

Well, eventually I signed up for PacNet BB. $60/month, 512k unlimited. Activation fee waived, purchased at ethernet modem @ $48.

Btw, if you're using amd chipset, avoid the usb adsl modems. They've been known to cause frequent disconnections.

Originally posted by imaginary_number
Sounds like me a month ago.

Well, eventually I signed up for PacNet BB. $60/month, 512k unlimited. Activation fee waived, purchased at ethernet modem @ $48.

Btw, if you're using amd chipset, avoid the usb adsl modems. They've been known to cause frequent disconnections.

Oh no... I am using AMD thunderbird. :cry:

Originally posted by Falcon

Oh no... I am using AMD thunderbird. :cry:

No problem, just use ethernet modems. They're a little more expensive but I must say it's worth it. If you intend to share your internet connection one day, all you need is to get a router.

Routers for usb adsl modems are very expensive and have been known to give lots of problems as well.

Originally posted by imaginary_number

No problem, just use ethernet modems. They're a little more expensive but I must say it's worth it. If you intend to share your internet connection one day, all you need is to get a router.

Routers for usb adsl modems are very expensive and have been known to give lots of problems as well.

Ethernet modems are provided by the service provider too rite?

Ethernet modems are provided by the service provider too rite?

All of the isp do provide the choice of ethernet adsl modem, but you have to purchase from them lor, but usually for a special price which are much lower then getting it new. :D

Btw, another suggestion for bb provider from me would be Qala.
Their package on offer are really value for $$, go here for a look. http://www.qala.com.sg/familysurf.htm
And you might wanna call/email them to enquire if their promotion still on.

Tks guys for the info. I checked out some posts over at hardwarezone and found mixed reaction from the users of the different broadbands. Apparently, it seems that there are more anti-SCV pple over there. Anyone else would like to share their experience with their current broadband. Or if you have used more than one, can state the reason(s) for the switch.
So far I am more inclined towards SCV cos they have no/shorter contract. So if any problem, can still jump ship. :D

Originally posted by kianern

Btw, another suggestion for bb provider from me would be Qala.
Their package on offer are really value for $$, go here for a look. http://www.qala.com.sg/familysurf.htm
And you might wanna call/email them to enquire if their promotion still on.

yeahman.gif

A Happy Qala FamilySurf Subscriber here enjoying 100MB of web space with a fee of $60/mth for 512Kbps connection.

Anyway, the setting up of modem/connection is not depends on the ISP ( For ADSL that is ) but rather the type of modem you're intending to use.

hmm... cannot post gif animation?

Originally posted by revenant

A Happy Qala FamilySurf Subscriber here enjoying 100MB of web space with a fee of $60/mth for 512Kbps connection.

Anyway, the setting up of modem/connection is not depends on the ISP ( For ADSL that is ) but rather the type of modem you're intending to use.

Haha.. nice to see another fellow qala subscriber here.. just switch over from pacnet, and have my account activated on 1 Jan 03. ;p

Well, all of the adsl modem (ether/usb), or modem+router selling locally, is compatible with any local adsl isp, except magix premium surf. It is only up to you to choose which modem have the feature and the right price for you. :D

Tks guys for the info. I checked out some posts over at hardwarezone and found mixed reaction from the users of the different broadbands. Apparently, it seems that there are more anti-SCV pple over there. Anyone else would like to share their experience with their current broadband. Or if you have used more than one, can state the reason(s) for the switch.
So far I am more inclined towards SCV cos they have no/shorter contract. So if any problem, can still jump ship. :D

bro, u do observed that hardwarezone has more "anti-scv" pple but if you notice, they are still using it after some much complains. I myself have been using scv since when they go on trial about 5 years ago. yes there up and down with scv, sometimes lose connections but have not experience much in the last 1/2 years.

never try other bb yet thus can't comment on... happy surfing with bb:gbounce:

actually cable IS broadband... anything faster then 100kbps is considered so..

i use singnet last time.. speed is always at 300kbps (its a 512k account), seldom go more or less then 300...

now i use SCV.. at off peak times it can reach 1mbps (that's 1000kbps), at peak times it goes as low as 250kbps which is about the same as Singnet during peaktimes.

So i think SCV is better... as during peak hours it goes slower, as slow as ADSL but at off peak it goes super fast.

however, it also depands where u stay.. if ur area has plenty of SCV users then u are affected to have slower speed. Try asking ur neighbour with scv cable internet and test the speed, like using www.bandwidthplace.com speed test website...

For me, I would rather get consistent speed than super fast and super slow connection. Which is why I've been on ADSL for 3 years+.

The choice is yours.

For me, I would rather get consistent speed than super fast and super slow connection. Which is why I've been on ADSL for 3 years+.

The choice is yours.

but depands where u stay.. like me, my slowest speed on cable is equal to the typical speed of ADSL...

however i've got frens on cable that goes very slow during peak, in which case.. they should op for ADSL and not Cable. Which is why i suggest to test it out with anyone u know on your block if they got cable internet...

The choice is yours.

Not only yr pic is not showing, I can't even access your homepage. The webspace not open to public? :dunno:

Not only yr pic is not showing, I can't even access your homepage. The webspace not open to public? :dunno:

oh pai sey i delete those files from my web space already...

You can see this instead.

personnally from a group of friends I gather that all broadband ISP have their problems. But SCV due to the fact that it is sharing bandwidth the speed between ISP to your PC will tend to be VERY slow during peak hours and very fast during non peak. In general, if you surf overseas site it is slower, as the back bone (or main link) is on Singapore One. Hence if you tend to do online gaming with host at US it will be slow.
For Singnet and PacNet, speed wise between ISP and your PC is quite stable. Generally local site and overseas site load at quite same speed as I heard that they have direct link to US. Also from some review done on one of the local media, it say that it is good for online gaming on overseas (US) host.
Conclusion, if you just an normal user like me (just surf net (clubsnap) and do some upload/download during peak hrs, Singnet and Pacnet will be better choice. As for which just see which ISP have more freebies and better price.
Oh I also heard that the IP address give by SCV is quite static hence easier to be hit by hacker, but so far never heard any of my friend kanna b4.

anyone using pacnet 384kbps adsl??

i'm currently a 56k user and i don't want to change service provider.

how's the performance compared to the 512kbps?

Originally posted by BoXXer
anyone using pacnet 384kbps adsl??

i'm currently a 56k user and i don't want to change service provider.

how's the performance compared to the 512kbps?

384K download / 192K upload

if u get 512K plan , its

512K download / 256K upload

Originally posted by localhost

384K download / 192K upload

if u get 512K plan , its

512K download / 256K upload

you don't normally get the speed they suggested.. as there are many reasons to lower the speed..some get close to 512, some get half of it... for a 512 u will be lucky if u can get 400kbps.. last time with singnet 512 i get only 300kbps max.

Status
Not open for further replies.