Which Broadband ISP and Service Plan is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
My contract will end in two weeks. Currently I am using Max Online 2000. Mixed reaction with their service. Can be slow at times.

I hope to get a cheaper and better alternative to Starhub. My workplace is using SingNet. I find it quite good, but SingNet service plans can be quite expensive.

I don't do online gaming, just for casual web browsing, e-mailing and occasional downloading of software patches and upgrades. Any good suggestions?

germ_boi said:
seems to me like starhub cheapest le.
Yah... I compare the ads in today's Straits Times. Starhub seems to be the cheapest and offers the most packaged "goodies". But I don't feel like going back to them again because of bad experiences in the past.

Today papers can see a fierce competition.

I think it's matter of personal preference, I prefer Singnet compare to starhub :)
Currently I pay $47 for 512kpbs unlimited.

yes i wd agree.

starhub is tempermental at times. i USED to have disruptive connections in 2004 to mid 2005. (sometimes got sometimes dont have.) Now it seems it's smooth sailing. Speed tho is sometimes up sometimes down even now.

whereas singtel is known to gamers as better mainly because of it's stable(may not be very fast) speed and always on connection.

so make a choice brother. :)

Singnet 10mbps :sticktong

Klose said:
Singnet 10mbps :sticktong

would you care to elaborate your experience with the Singnet 10mbps service? I am keen to ditch Starhub. What were you using before? What's the difference in your browsing, downloading experience? Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks. sam

samsiu said:
would you care to elaborate your experience with the Singnet 10mbps service? I am keen to ditch Starhub. What were you using before? What's the difference in your browsing, downloading experience? Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks. sam

Been using Singnet all along 256 -> 512 -> 10 ;) Excellent, Only hit 2 major downtimes. Once when the Bukit Panjang Exchange got hit by a major hardware failure in 2004 and one most recently when they forgot to activate my account after I changed plans :bsmilie: It gets faster, plus torrent speeds for anime are good (depends on seed too) ;) I can say it's very stable for gaming.

but take note adsl are very sensitive to line quality...adsl2+ even more sensitive...
using singnet1500...faster that starhub...better ping response than starhub oso...-_-|||

dreamerz said:
but take note adsl are very sensitive to line quality...adsl2+ even more sensitive...
using singnet1500...faster that starhub...better ping response than starhub oso...-_-|||

very good for gaming.... ping rates very low :bsmilie:

geez i can't wait to upgrade to a 1.5mpbs plan..my 512 unltd is already so..slow!

school's wireless is still da best though. =D

metallilan said:
geez i can't wait to upgrade to a 1.5mpbs plan..my 512 unltd is already so..slow!

school's wireless is still da best though. =D
haha..dun upgrade to 1500...upgrade to 3500...its cheaper...as they are having promo now...too bad im on contract if nt i upgrade liao...

dreamerz said:
haha..dun upgrade to 1500...upgrade to 3500...its cheaper...as they are having promo now...too bad im on contract if nt i upgrade liao...

The problem with Singtel is that you MUST sign up with a 24-month contract, or nothing at all. I've never signed contract with Starhub for my MaxOnLine 2000. I've been using it for 4 years now. Good thing about Starhub is that they DO NOT REQUIRE you to sign a contract. Minimum is 3 months. That's all. My concern is that if a faster speed comes along, say 100mbps, and if I were to sign up a contract with Singtel, I'm stuck and am not able to sign up for the new faster one UNTIL I complete the 24-month contract. I think Singtel SUCKS!!

I've experienced 100mbps internet speed in HK. It's awesome. For a gauge, I normally go to Apple QuickTime trailer and download/play the latest movie trailers available. With my Starhub MaxOnLine 2000, it takes a while to download/play a movie, say about 30MB in size, approximately 5 minutes before the trailer starts playing.

With the 100mbps connection, it starts IMMEDIATELY. In fact the trailer was downloaded to the computer MUCH FASTER BEFORE THE TRAILER EVEN GETS TO HALF WAY POINT.

I regularly buy stuffs via online, subscribe and download magazines that takes 15-20 minutes to download, for example, my MacWorld, PCWOrld and PC Magazine electronic subscriptions. In HK, the magazines download in less than a minute!

So I hate Singtel for FORCING people to sign a 2-year contract (WAY TOOOO LONG) but have a better speed advantage, but Starhub has no requirement for a long term contract (3 months minimum) but yes, I do sometimes feel that the MaxOnLine 2000 speed is sort of declining.

What to do...

samsiu said:
The problem with Singtel is that you MUST sign up with a 24-month contract, or nothing at all. I've never signed contract with Starhub for my MaxOnLine 2000. I've been using it for 4 years now. Good thing about Starhub is that they DO NOT REQUIRE you to sign a contract. Minimum is 3 months. That's all. My concern is that if a faster speed comes along, say 100mbps, and if I were to sign up a contract with Singtel, I'm stuck and am not able to sign up for the new faster one UNTIL I complete the 24-month contract. I think Singtel SUCKS!!

I've experienced 100mbps internet speed in HK. It's awesome. For a gauge, I normally go to Apple QuickTime trailer and download/play the latest movie trailers available. With my Starhub MaxOnLine 2000, it takes a while to download/play a movie, say about 30MB in size, approximately 5 minutes before the trailer starts playing.

With the 100mbps connection, it starts IMMEDIATELY. In fact the trailer was downloaded to the computer MUCH FASTER BEFORE THE TRAILER EVEN GETS TO HALF WAY POINT.

I regularly buy stuffs via online, subscribe and download magazines that takes 15-20 minutes to download, for example, my MacWorld, PCWOrld and PC Magazine electronic subscriptions. In HK, the magazines download in less than a minute!

So I hate Singtel for FORCING people to sign a 2-year contract (WAY TOOOO LONG) but have a better speed advantage, but Starhub has no requirement for a long term contract (3 months minimum) but yes, I do sometimes feel that the MaxOnLine 2000 speed is sort of declining.

What to do...
jus to note...wat u say abt hk plan is half correct half wrong...100mbps apply only to hk network...they are still throttled by oversea bw...althought they oversea bw are larger...

haha..u can sign up singnet without contract too..jus that u dun get the premuim price...thats biz tactics....

dreamerz said:

same ar. i dont even know when im gonna end my contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.