Which bridge Camera ?

Achim Reh

Nov 1, 2011
I am looking to buy a so called bridge camera, and trying to compare Fuji's X-S1 with for example the Sony HX 200 or Canon SX50 .
Unfortunately, there are not many detailed reviews about these cameras on the net, so I wonder if any of the fellow CS'ers here has ( good or bad) experience with one of the above mentioned ( or any other) superzoom bridge cameras ?

Many thanks for any recommendations and feedback.

I am looking to buy a so called bridge camera, and trying to compare Fuji's X-S1 with for example the Sony HX 200 or Canon SX50 .
Unfortunately, there are not many detailed reviews about these cameras on the net, so I wonder if any of the fellow CS'ers here has ( good or bad) experience with one of the above mentioned ( or any other) superzoom bridge cameras ?

Many thanks for any recommendations and feedback.

Huh? there are plenty of pretty detail reviews on each camera on the net.

1) Fujifilm X-S1 review - What Digital Camera tests the large-sensor XS1 superzoom | Compact camera reviews | tests and specs | What Digital Camera
2) Fujifilm X-S1 Review | Compact Digital Cameras | CNET UK
3) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Review: Digital Photography Review
4) Canon PowerShot SX50 HS review | Compact cameras Reviews | TechRadar
5) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Review: Digital Photography Review (this had some comparism of the image quality)

The above links was only a few that I find from the net, there are so much more.

From what I gather, the Fujifilm X-S1 should have the largest sensor but shortest zoom among the group while the Canon SX50 had the longest zoom.

All three had very good image quality although I would suspect that the X-S1 should have the best IQ quality and shared the same sensor as their much famed X10. The Fujifilm would also be heaviest among the three because it had a magnesium alloy bofy... and finally the fujifilm had the highest price tag.

Having said that, it would still boils down to the user going to test all three cameras up himself and see which one he like best.

Huh? there are plenty of pretty detail reviews on each camera on the net.

My thoughts too... Seems like he did not search.

well, i did search, that that the reviews mentioned above are not the type I was looking for. I very much like the DPreview tests , where I can directly compare the raw quality of certain areas under different ISO Settings , however, I could not find such data for the X-E1 . Yes, I like the Fuji Sensor, I own a x10. However, I am not shure if I would be happy with the image quality of the lens at 600mm .

well, i did search, that that the reviews mentioned above are not the type I was looking for. I very much like the DPreview tests , where I can directly compare the raw quality of certain areas under different ISO Settings , however, I could not find such data for the X-E1 . Yes, I like the Fuji Sensor, I own a x10. However, I am not shure if I would be happy with the image quality of the lens at 600mm .

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1010889-first-impressions-fujifilm-x-s1.html

Cactus Jack had done a pretty detail review on X-S1. And there are example of image quality at 600mm. As to whether you like the image or not, nobody can tell you that, some of us have very low treshold and find the image of all the camera okay, while others have very high expectation and wanted DSLR result out of a small sensor, so it is not wise to advise you on that.

As to X-E1, it is a very new camera, it is not a bridge camera, it is an affordable prosumer level camera, so are you looking at prosumer or a bridge camera?

Sorry, the X-E1 was a typing error. Yes , I am looking at a superzoom with good image quality....I know practically, this is impossible.
I want to buy this camera for a coming trip , which rather rough , ad I have very limited space . So, I can not take my D800E + Lenses, because I do not have the space, I do not want to take my Ricoh GXR because I want / need a super-telephoto +AF beside wide angle. I also do not want to take the most expensive equipment, because it might get spoiled / lost / stolen/ damaged and so on ( as mentioned before, the trip might get a bit rough). So, I am looking at 2 choices, ether a lower priced 24meg entry level SLR like the Sony 65 or the NIkon 3200 + a 18-300 lens , or a bridge camera . I like the 24mm equivalent wide angle and the overall zoom range of the S1, something I can never achieve with a single lens on a slr body , but on he other hand , I am affraid that the image quality of the S1 ( also , it might be at the top end for this type of cameras) might not satisfy me at all :-(

From what I have read (on the net) thus far... if you want my opinion, I would say, I would go for the X-S1, although it was not much weight saving as compared to an entry level DSLR, but it had all the things I need, except for a smaller sensor.

I do not take night shots or shots at very bad lighting most of the time and I think image quality is good even up to ISO 800 and even at 1600 it seemed very usable. So I think I would be happy with the X-S1. But that is just me.

Yes, the more I research, the more it narrows down to the X-S1 . No idea of the price in Singapore at the moment, but price in US , incl shipping to Singapore is around 800 SG$.

Yes, the more I research, the more it narrows down to the X-S1 . No idea of the price in Singapore at the moment, but price in US , incl shipping to Singapore is around 800 SG$.

Call the shops and ask... :)

As early as Feb this year, the RRP price of the X-S1 is around S$1250. Not sure how much it had drop since then or what was the street price... that is also one reason I didn't buy the X-S1 at that time when I was looking for a bridge camera. In the end, I give up (anyway, I didn't do alot of tele shoot so I am not going to come up with that money to get the X-S1)... and at the end of my search, i gotten the OMD and paired it with my old 40-150mm (leftover from my EPL1) and is happy ever since.

Ask the LTA officers perched on the overhead bridges. I once has the luck to get a traffic summons and argued to see the proof. Pretty sharp and clear images from their cams

Sorry, the X-E1 was a typing error. Yes , I am looking at a superzoom with good image quality....I know practically, this is impossible.
I want to buy this camera for a coming trip , which rather rough , ad I have very limited space . So, I can not take my D800E + Lenses, because I do not have the space, I do not want to take my Ricoh GXR because I want / need a super-telephoto +AF beside wide angle. I also do not want to take the most expensive equipment, because it might get spoiled / lost / stolen/ damaged and so on ( as mentioned before, the trip might get a bit rough). So, I am looking at 2 choices, ether a lower priced 24meg entry level SLR like the Sony 65 or the NIkon 3200 + a 18-300 lens , or a bridge camera . I like the 24mm equivalent wide angle and the overall zoom range of the S1, something I can never achieve with a single lens on a slr body , but on he other hand , I am affraid that the image quality of the S1 ( also , it might be at the top end for this type of cameras) might not satisfy me at all :-(

Have u considered pana fz200?

Leica glass, f/2.8 @ 600mm. If neither this nor the xs1 satisfy your image quality requirements, probably no bridge camera will.

I think for a trip purpose, you Wun need more than 600mm I suppose?

i think you have to give and take... if you mind alot about IQ other stuff such as af speed and expect dslr std,not to say D800 then i doubt any bridge cam can suit you. If not dslr no more business and people won't bother take extra risk and trouble to bring their gears overseas.

You want compactness, all in one focal length then something has to go. I find premium bridge cameras IQ are good for general usage... the rest depends on your skill to overcome what dslr features the bridge cam cannot deliver.

Gundamsee...yes I know its is a compromise, I am just trying to find out which one is the least bad ;-) .
Silvermoon, thanks for pointing to FZ 200, another interesting candidate.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I finally decided to get the X-S1 online for 760SG$ , compare to almost 1200 SG$ in local stores.
The picture quality might not be up to my expectations, BUT, as these pictures will be primarily used for electronic presentation, and not for printing , the X-S1 should do the job. At the end, it was the most versatile camera that offered a not excellent but sufficient quality for a reasonable price.
Combined with some spare batteries and 1 or 2 64Gb cards , it makes the ultimate travel companion for my upcoming project.