Which brand produces the most accurate white balance and exposure by default?

hotchoco1ate

Jan 27, 2010
Anyone who has an experience from more than 1 system? Not to start brand wars, but rather hopefully will be an informative thread..

The 5D mark II AWB seems to be quite accurate. the xxxD and the new 60D are slightly warm. not sure about the other brands.

I only had a brief fling with Canon so unable to comment much.
Now faithfully using Nikon, so far Nikon outdoor AWB is accurate :thumbsup:however under indoor fluorescent lighting the accuracy is no there.:(
Sad to say almost all other brands of DSLR suffers from this fault.
Just mine personal observation. ;)

Tried all the major and most of the smaller brands. From their top of the line to the lowest end models.

Without a doubt, its Fujifilm's S5 pro imo.

Never had to click the WB correction button in LR after shooting with it!;)

Anyone who has an experience from more than 1 system? Not to start brand wars, but rather hopefully will be an informative thread..

I feel its more based on specific models instead of brands.

For example the Sony A500/550's white balance is very accurate, but the old A200 can be fooled by fluorescent lights.

Newer models of cameras will likely be more accurate than models that are 4 or 5 yrs ago.

I am both an EOS and Alpha user.

All i can say is that the 7D produces much accurate AWB than the a500 under daylight and florescent conditions. Although it is an unfair comparison as Sony currently does not have any semi-pro models.

So i gather from these responses that the judgement is subjective to individuals? Im not particularly happy with my Canon 500D exposure and white balancing. More of exposure. I find myself trying to overexpose and underexpose quite frequently even in similar lighting. Wonder if its the camera metering algorithm thats giving it the problem...

So i gather from these responses that the judgement is subjective to individuals? Im not particularly happy with my Canon 500D exposure and white balancing. More of exposure. I find myself trying to overexpose and underexpose quite frequently even in similar lighting. Wonder if its the camera metering algorithm thats giving it the problem...

wat type of metering are u using?

If using spot...u will need to know which area to take metering from.

Last edited:
I suggest reading up on the reviews on DPReview. They also test WB accuracy.

Why not get a grey card?

personally, it is the cheapest and relatively accurate compare to the others...

Most of the time, other than portrait shoots, its near impossible to place the grey certain areas for metering. I've not tried it personally but i think it will be pretty tedious.

Haha film cameras doesn't count!

The camera's AWB may misinterpret the scene also. Both C and N do a decent job, of course the other brands.
Film camera's AWB is your minilab operator.

There are many solutions if all you are after is really accurate WB. You can get an Expodisc, you can shoot RAW and tweak later, or you can tweak it manually right from the start.

Any automatic solution, be it AWB, autofocus, your car's automatic gearbox etc is never ideal, and can be fooled by complex situations. You are the master, you decide.

if you not particular, most cameras able to do a decent job on auto white balance and auto exposure.

but if you would notice, those people who are particular about white balance and exposure are rather spend some efforts capturing the image right in the camera via carefully nailing the exposure and fine tune WB, and also do some rework the images during the post.

There are many solutions if all you are after is really accurate WB. You can get an Expodisc, you can shoot RAW and tweak later, or you can tweak it manually right from the start.

Any automatic solution, be it AWB, autofocus, your car's automatic gearbox etc is never ideal, and can be fooled by complex situations. You are the master, you decide.

i've read somewhere that exposdiscs tends to turn yellowish with age
is this true?

i've read somewhere that exposdiscs tends to turn yellowish with age
is this true?

I'm sorry, but I can't comment on that as I have not used expodiscs. I can tell you that my friend's 2 year old expodisc looks fine to me.

thanks, i'll consider buying one now, cause my WB is also off i find