Which brand of contact lenses is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonstone

Sep 25, 2004
Woodlands
As above, I am thinking of getting changing to contact lenses since my glasses is always giving me problem like pain and getting in the way when doing sports. I have astigmatism -2.85D and myopia -2.75D per eyes. Any contact lenses wearers here can advise? TIA

are you thinking of monthly disposables or dailies or weeklies?
I've been using bauch & lomb monthly and I find it suits my eyes better.. I tried a more expensive water retention one by another company but it didn't suit my eyes so I had to change back to bauch & lomb..

why not you go to your optician and ask for recomendations.. usually for first time wearers they'll provide a trial pair to see whether the contacts suits your eyes..

before my lasik, I was using custom made disposables by bio medics. apparently they fit my eye conditions perfectly (ie, astig, and the larger-than-normal cornea size), hence the custom fit.

Some opticians can give a thorough check up of your eyes (charges apply) and recommend suitable brands accordingly. I feel the one off cost of consulation is worth it.

I would suggest going to an optician to have a check first.
Not all people can use disposables.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I speak from experience.
I had a very bad infection stem from disposable lenses partially
because my permanent lenses was being made at that moment
and I used disposable contact lenses temporarily for the next few days
to do a shoot.

My corneas are slightly smaller than the average size and
because of that I've had ulcers develop on my right eye resulting in
several horrifying trips to the National Eye Centre.

Now because of the ulceration and infection of my eye
I'm kinda banned from wearing contact lenses for half a year
by the doctor.
and even so if I really do have to wear contact lenses
I can't use it beyond several hours.
Hope this can somewhat shed some light for you on getting your lenses.

care to share why? I thought it is good for the eyes?
I've been using them for a long time already.. from what I know contacts are good if worn properly because you don't get unnecessary lens error due to not wearing your specs correctly (i.e tilted or not at the ideal position)

I'm not sure how to explain it.
In a way contact lenses count as a foreign object.
You're putting a foreign object in your eye...
even though it helps you with your eyesight.
No matter how safe it is or how good people claim it to be,
there's always a risk of running an infection regardless
of how careful and hygienic you are handling your lenses.
If you were to see an eye doctor they would advise you
to wear glasses.
Maybe I can ask them when I go for my next eye examination.

Thanks all for your valuable advices. I will go down to the optician to check more of it.

Cheers!

are you thinking of monthly disposables or dailies or weeklies?
I've been using bauch & lomb monthly and I find it suits my eyes better.. I tried a more expensive water retention one by another company but it didn't suit my eyes so I had to change back to bauch & lomb..

why not you go to your optician and ask for recomendations.. usually for first time wearers they'll provide a trial pair to see whether the contacts suits your eyes..

I went down to my optician yesterday night and was told that I can only make convention type due to my high astig and myopia. But I have a choice of between the soft or hard lenses. Any different between these two?

Some opticians can give a thorough check up of your eyes (charges apply) and recommend suitable brands accordingly. I feel the one off cost of consulation is worth it.

You are right. I was told that they need to see which brands suit me. Total charges close to S$400. Is this price reasonable?

TIA:)

I went down to my optician yesterday night and was told that I can only make convention type due to my high astig and myopia. But I have a choice of between the soft or hard lenses. Any different between these two?

You are right. I was told that they need to see which brands suit me. Total charges close to S$400. Is this price reasonable?

TIA:)

I'm not sure but hard lenses, at least the ones I remember, are more permeable in terms of oxygen being allowed to pass through than soft lenses. however, hard lenses are more susceptible to being dislodged by any slight physical knocks to the facial area. this is not a good thing if you're wearing it for the purposes of sports. if so, soft lenses would be a much better idea.

also, if you had to custom make disposables, I would think $400 is reasonable. that was the approximate amount I had to pay for a 13 month supply (12 month paid, 1 month "sample"). again, it has been a while (about four years now) since I last paid for contacts so I might be a bit rusty in the pricing department.

I'm not sure but hard lenses, at least the ones I remember, are more permeable in terms of oxygen being allowed to pass through than soft lenses. however, hard lenses are more susceptible to being dislodged by any slight physical knocks to the facial area. this is not a good thing if you're wearing it for the purposes of sports. if so, soft lenses would be a much better idea.

also, if you had to custom make disposables, I would think $400 is reasonable. that was the approximate amount I had to pay for a 13 month supply (12 month paid, 1 month "sample"). again, it has been a while (about four years now) since I last paid for contacts so I might be a bit rusty in the pricing department.

Thanks terryansimon! I do not have a choice for disposable type. The only option is conventional type. Haiz... have to clean contact lenses every night before sleep.

Thanks terryansimon! I do not have a choice for disposable type. The only option is conventional type. Haiz... have to clean contact lenses every night before sleep.

theoretically, you're encouraged to clean your monthly disposables as well. by cleaning I don't mean soaking it in solution, but using the contact lens soap to wash it. the only gripe I had about my permanent lenses (before switching to disposables) was that I had to use a protein remover every week. apart from that, nothing wrong there.

if your eyes can take it, you can use them no rub solutions (ie, no need to rub the lenses in solution/soap), and just soak it in the sterilisation fluid. although my optician didn't recommend me those, owing to my eye's sensitivity, and told me to wash them lenses after each use, and protein remover tablets each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.