Which Brand LCD Monitor To Buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thheng71

Jun 10, 2004
Singapore, Toa Payoh Nth
Hi Pple,
I'm looking for 17" Lcd monitor but do not know which brand(Philips or ViewSonic) to buy. Secondly I'm looking for shop that provide 0% installment plan. Pls advise. Thks.

RGds

alwayschampion said:
Sharp LCD 19"

19" LCD is a waste of money because the resolution is same as 17", which is 1280 x 1024

therefore the usable area and number of pixels is still the same...you are just paying for bigger pixel only

and that's why 20" LCD that can do 1600 x 1200 are much much more expensive (47% more pixels there)

Wai said:
19" LCD is a waste of money because the resolution is same as 17", which is 1280 x 1024

therefore the usable area and number of pixels is still the same...you are just paying for bigger pixel only

and that's why 20" LCD that can do 1600 x 1200 are much much more expensive (47% more pixels there)

Quite true... But some people who have problems viewing a 17" on it's native resolution may opt for the 19" LCD.

Even now, I'd pick up a 15", 24-bit panel if it's available. Got to check with Powermatic I guess. 16" of viewable area is about my threshold..
Unless I can get a good 17" true-flat CRT with BNC inputs and capable of 1024 * 768 @ 100Hz for less than $600.. Hrmm..

Hi Pple,
THks for the fast feedback.
I'm looking for 17" Lcd monitor but do not know which brand to buy(Philips or ViewSonic).
Secondly I'm looking for shop that provide 0% installment plan. Pls advise. Thks.

RGds

Samsung 710T ;)

buy online from DELL... its a Samsung at a lower price. :)

check the LCD monitor thread in digital darkroom on recommended LCD monitors.

All 17" LCD from 'mainstream' brands like Samsung, Sharp, Phillips are 18-bit. So if you want 24-bit, you have to get 19" or larger.

And because 19" LCD commands a price premium, the quality of the DSP/electronics they can put inside is higher whereas for the 17" market, the object seems to be to cut corners to get the lowest price...

erwinx said:

All 17" LCD from 'mainstream' brands like Samsung, Sharp, Phillips are 18-bit. So if you want 24-bit, you have to get 19" or larger.

And because 19" LCD commands a price premium, the quality of the DSP/electronics they can put inside is higher whereas for the 17" market, the object seems to be to cut corners to get the lowest price...

I have come across the Sony 24 bit LCD. Is sony LCD good ?

alwayschampion said:
I have come across the Sony 24 bit LCD. Is sony LCD good ?

good and pricey :bsmilie:

Drudkh said:
buy online from DELL... its a Samsung at a lower price. :)
Depends on the model they give you (which you have no control). I use a Dell 1704FP at work and don't think it's good enough for digital imaging. The excellent 2001FP of coz, is a differnet animal altogether. ;)

Regards
CK

erwinx said:

Not exactly true.. The Samsung 17" 173P is a 24bit panel.

hi thheng71,

I recently bought the Philips 170B5CB 17" LCD monitor. The specs says it has display colour of 16M colors (=24bit?? not too sure abt the conversion). Seems good enough for my 'simple' use - just some photo editing and web browsing.

I paid about SGD570(+/- 10) for it.

As for 0% installment plans, if you hold a credit card, maybe you should check out the bigger electro-marts (Courts, Harvey Norman,etc.) and see if your credit card company has any such arrangements with these shops.

:)

I was at challenger funan yesterday... they seem to have some LDC promo going on... you may like to pop by to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.