Which Brand LCD Monitor To Buy...


Status
Not open for further replies.

thheng71

New Member
Jun 10, 2004
146
0
0
Singapore, Toa Payoh Nth
#1
Hi Pple,
I'm looking for 17" Lcd monitor but do not know which brand(Philips or ViewSonic) to buy. Secondly I'm looking for shop that provide 0% installment plan. Pls advise. Thks.

RGds
 

Wai

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
5,270
0
36
39
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
#6
alwayschampion said:
Sharp LCD 19"
19" LCD is a waste of money because the resolution is same as 17", which is 1280 x 1024

therefore the usable area and number of pixels is still the same...you are just paying for bigger pixel only

and that's why 20" LCD that can do 1600 x 1200 are much much more expensive (47% more pixels there)
 

Firefox

New Member
Feb 15, 2004
716
0
0
Bedok
#7
Wai said:
19" LCD is a waste of money because the resolution is same as 17", which is 1280 x 1024

therefore the usable area and number of pixels is still the same...you are just paying for bigger pixel only

and that's why 20" LCD that can do 1600 x 1200 are much much more expensive (47% more pixels there)

Quite true... But some people who have problems viewing a 17" on it's native resolution may opt for the 19" LCD.

Even now, I'd pick up a 15", 24-bit panel if it's available. Got to check with Powermatic I guess. 16" of viewable area is about my threshold..
Unless I can get a good 17" true-flat CRT with BNC inputs and capable of 1024 * 768 @ 100Hz for less than $600.. Hrmm..
 

thheng71

New Member
Jun 10, 2004
146
0
0
Singapore, Toa Payoh Nth
#8
Hi Pple,
THks for the fast feedback.
I'm looking for 17" Lcd monitor but do not know which brand to buy(Philips or ViewSonic).
Secondly I'm looking for shop that provide 0% installment plan. Pls advise. Thks.

RGds
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#13
check the LCD monitor thread in digital darkroom on recommended LCD monitors.

All 17" LCD from 'mainstream' brands like Samsung, Sharp, Phillips are 18-bit. So if you want 24-bit, you have to get 19" or larger.

And because 19" LCD commands a price premium, the quality of the DSP/electronics they can put inside is higher whereas for the 17" market, the object seems to be to cut corners to get the lowest price...
 

Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#14
erwinx said:
check the LCD monitor thread in digital darkroom on recommended LCD monitors.

All 17" LCD from 'mainstream' brands like Samsung, Sharp, Phillips are 18-bit. So if you want 24-bit, you have to get 19" or larger.

And because 19" LCD commands a price premium, the quality of the DSP/electronics they can put inside is higher whereas for the 17" market, the object seems to be to cut corners to get the lowest price...
I have come across the Sony 24 bit LCD. Is sony LCD good ?
 

Klose

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2005
2,619
0
0
#15
alwayschampion said:
I have come across the Sony 24 bit LCD. Is sony LCD good ?
good and pricey :bsmilie:
 

#17
Drudkh said:
buy online from DELL... its a Samsung at a lower price. :)
Depends on the model they give you (which you have no control). I use a Dell 1704FP at work and don't think it's good enough for digital imaging. The excellent 2001FP of coz, is a differnet animal altogether. ;)

Regards
CK
 

Firefox

New Member
Feb 15, 2004
716
0
0
Bedok
#18
erwinx said:
check the LCD monitor thread in digital darkroom on recommended LCD monitors.

All 17" LCD from 'mainstream' brands like Samsung, Sharp, Phillips are 18-bit. So if you want 24-bit, you have to get 19" or larger.
Not exactly true.. The Samsung 17" 173P is a 24bit panel.
 

#19
hi thheng71,

I recently bought the Philips 170B5CB 17" LCD monitor. The specs says it has display colour of 16M colors (=24bit?? not too sure abt the conversion). Seems good enough for my 'simple' use - just some photo editing and web browsing.

I paid about SGD570(+/- 10) for it.

As for 0% installment plans, if you hold a credit card, maybe you should check out the bigger electro-marts (Courts, Harvey Norman,etc.) and see if your credit card company has any such arrangements with these shops.

:)
 

CYRN

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2002
4,575
0
36
photoevangel.com
#20
I was at challenger funan yesterday... they seem to have some LDC promo going on... you may like to pop by to have a look.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom