Which border to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyanius

Nov 15, 2008
I usually don't ask questions here, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

1.) When do you use borders, when do you not?

2.) When do you use a thicker border, when do you use a thinner border?

3.) How do you decide whether to use a black or white border?

4.) When do you use a letterbox border?

5.) Any other border-related knowledge to share?

I'll be glad if anyone can just point me to a useful website or tutorial if you can't answer the questions specifically.

Thanks!

I usually don't ask questions here, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

Depends on how you want to present your picture.

Use borders to accentuate your picture. Not just border for the sake of it.

So, as you can see. There are no set rules. It is up to you, how you want to present the picture to your audience. It is not a science. It is art.

I agree. Practically all photography questions can be answered with "Depends on how you want to present your picture".

Thanks a lot. Really useful. Might as well close the entire ClubSnap forums and just put the one-liner "Depends on how you want to present your picture".

I agree. Practically all photography questions can be answered with "Depends on how you want to present your picture".

Thanks a lot. Really useful. Might as well close the entire ClubSnap forums and just put the one-liner "Depends on how you want to present your picture".

What to do? If you ask this kind of questions, get this kind of answers.

Actually, if you ask specific questions, technical questions. People can give you definite answers. If you ask the best way to do a border, people can still point you to the right direction. Ask this kind of artistic choice questions, what do you expect? Some people like to eat noodles, some people like to eat rice, some people like to eat pizza, some people like to eat hamburger. But in the end, they are all food. Everyone will have a different preference to borders. Some insist on not having any, some will have a border 3 times bigger. So how? follow everyone's ideas? There are no rules to presentation. You have to do what you think looks best to you.

Only yourself to blame. You are not very good at asking questions.

Last edited:

he is correct.

It's personal preference actually.

There is no hard rules here.

Some ppl using letterbox style to have cinematic feel.

Some use plain to keep it simple.

So what's your style and preference? Just do according to what you like.

The bottom line is dun get too engrossed in the 'rules' of borders since there is none. Focus on your photo and make sure its good. Border are just there to beautify and doesn't adds value.

One reason why you couldn't find a satisfactory answer (i assume internet search?) is that it is a subjective issue, partly also depends on what your photos are about, what background they are viewed against (web browsing) etc.

Which is why you would get many hits on the internet telling you how to create borders, but not how to choose the appropriate ones.

This I think,is what DD123 is trying to tell you, it all depends.

For me, the important is not to overdo the border thing, it should enhance the picture but not distract the viewer away from the picture. Sometimes, not having a border in the first place might even be the best thing.

If pressed to choose, neutral colours should be a safe place to start, then you explore from there.

I was under the impression that borders enhance the photo. For example, one might choose to avoid using black borders if the area surrounding the photo is dark, or, like sinned79 helpfully said, letterbox creates a cinematic feel. I've also heard some ppl say that if there're many details in the photo, use a thinner border as opposed to a thicker border. Use a thick border for a more plain photo.

I believed that there is a technical knowledge in choosing borders, not just based on artistic gut feel. Maybe I'm wrong.

If someone asks, where should I place my subject in the frame? We can all answer, it depends on what you want to present" which is a correct answer. Or we can suggest a rule of thirds, suggest a center composition, even quote an example, "if it is a moving object, leave space in front of it for it to move". Which do you think is more helpful? It's still an artistic choice question.

Do you expect a standard procedure or decision making matrix? That might work for companies that require strict adhering to certain rules - and of course it works in the armed forces. But photography is art and not even the processing of film is not such a strict procedure as you can see from the discussions about developer, temperature, time etc.
But if you need some guidelines then start with:
1) How / where do you want to present your picture? (website, printed picture, gallery)
2) Will there be any other border in 1)? (Inserted by website, picture album, frame)
3) Does the border that you want to bring in add or emphasize anything in the picture?
4) Does the border distract from the picture?
In certain cases borders are also used to include additional information (name, title, exif data) instead of ruining the image with over-sized watermarks.
Not sure what to do? Use the old English grammar rule for commas: If in doubt leave it out.

Last edited:
If someone asks, where should I place my subject in the frame? We can all answer, it depends on what you want to present" which is a correct answer. Or we can suggest a rule of thirds, suggest a center composition, even quote an example, "if it is a moving object, leave space in front of it for it to move". Which do you think is more helpful? It's still an artistic choice question.
In these cases we have the actual image to look at (or a scene described briefly) and we can give feedback based on real data. Here you only come with a very generic question that leaves so many possibilities open .. where to start? :dunno:

your questions are too general, there is no way to give you definite answer, nobody know your preference and don't want what are those photos about. sometime yes, sometime no, some people like (viewers) it, some people (viewers) don't like it, do you get it?

and daredevil123 is just stating a fact, your reply are no being polite, consider this is a warning.

Example 1: For example, one might choose to avoid using black borders if the area surrounding the photo is dark,

Example 2: or, like sinned79 helpfully said, letterbox creates a cinematic feel.

Example 3: I've also heard some ppl say that if there're many details in the photo, use a thinner border as opposed to a thicker border. Use a thick border for a more plain photo.

Already supplied 3 examples. Still too generic?

Anyway, some nice guidelines there from Octarine. I actually learned something, which is why I created this thread in the first place.

Edit: Wow, catchlights. You reminded me of exactly why I always hesitate before posting here. Imagine if everyone replied on the Critique Corner, "Depends on how you want to present your picture". Fine, close this thread or ban me if you feel there is no photographic merit to be learned here.

Last edited:

Anyway, some nice guidelines there from Octarine. I actually learned something, which is why I created this thread in the first place.

Edit: Wow, catchlights. You reminded me of exactly why I always hesitate before posting here. Imagine if everyone replied on the Critique Corner, "Depends on how you want to present your picture". Fine, close this thread or ban me if you feel there is no photographic merit to be learned here.
if you want to learn some photographic merit, be more open minded, be humble, spend more time creating and working on the image itself, less time making borders.

Not generic? please. You did not mention the picture, wall (or background of media), compostion of the pic, color or B&W, your aspect ratio of your pic.

You leave everything to our imagination. What do you expect? Do you expect us to list every permutation possible? List thousands of scenarios? My goodness.

For example...

if your pic is square, will a cinematic border work???
If your display wall is pure white, will a white border work?
If your picture is mostly white, will a white border work?
If your picture is mostly purple color, will a dirty green color border work?
If your picture is 6"x4" big, will a 30"x20" border work?
Borders are not only in black and white like you suggested. Should we list all the colors for you? It will be as thick as a Pantone color chart.

Did you even think about what answers you are looking for when asking? Did you even think about how others can answer when you asked?

After asking open ended moronic questions like this, you still have the gall to have such an attitude to Challenge the mod to ban you. I am glad I did not spend more time to help a person such as you. You are obviously not worth my time.

Since you use the examples in the Critique Corner, did you notice that posters have to do a write up along with their photos, that takes care of the "depends on what you want to convey aspect."

The thing is, you need to step back and realise that your original questions spans too large an area, and cannot be answered effectively without more context on your side.

Have a look around the forum and see how questions are worded, the more info you give, the easier it is for people to see where you come from and help accordingly.

Throwing up a vague senario as a question and lashing out at those who point it out its flaws only aggravate both sides of people.
Giving out taunts to ban oneself only smacks of self-victimizing and immature behaviour.

Mods, pls close this thread. Don't think anyone has anything to gain here.

You have to do that yourself. Under threadtools.
TS requires someone to close the thread on his behalf, just like he expects us to help him choose the appropriate border for this imaginary photo that none of us have seen :bsmilie:

I'll be glad if anyone can just point me to a useful website or tutorial if you can't answer the questions specifically.

Thanks!

i usually don't ask questions here, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

1) When do you use private transport, and when do you not?
2) When do you use a BMW, and when do you use a Suzuki?
3) How do you decide whether to buy a black or silver car?
4) When do you use a 4WD?
5) Any other car-related knowledge to share?

i usually don't ask questions here, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

1) When do you use private transport, and when do you not?
2) When do you use a BMW, and when do you use a Suzuki?
3) How do you decide whether to buy a black or silver car?
4) When do you use a 4WD?
5) Any other car-related knowledge to share?

LOL :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

if you want to learn some photographic merit, be more open minded, be humble, spend more time creating and working on the image itself, less time making borders.

Mods, pls close this thread. Don't think anyone has anything to gain here.

Catchlights gave some very good and common sense advice, especially the part on open-mindedness and humility.

Even if other forummers (who have been here for a while) give nasty and snide comments to your question, it really do you no good to reply in equally rude and presumptuous manner. It's a slippery road once you respond in anger. In the end you have a bad day.

Being a huge forum, Clubsnap has all the good, the bad and the ugly. Try to find the good stuff and avoid the bad and ugly ones. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.