Which border to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it really depends a lot on the picture.

you don't have to put borders on all pictures, i just do it because i think a picture looks better, etc.. sometimes i am wrong.

no one's right all the time, and no one picture will work ABSOLUTELY BEST FOR EVERYONE with one particular border.

concentrate on the pictures, like uncle catchlights said.. you can have a very good border for a poor picture, but that will be still far more inferior than a good picture without anything. :)

chill. :)

nothing wrong with the questions.
i believe it is posted in the newbies section.
it may be a really really silly question to most seniors here, i am sure.
but it really look like a normal question from my point of view.
i do really hope if i pose a stupid question,
this is not the response i will get.
really no point in sticking around if the 'seniors' have no patience in teaching.
daredevil123, sorry but if you cannot do it constructively, why not don't answer at all.
period.
you may be a pro in photography,
i am sure there are things you are new in and would like to learn more.
but i am sure, i will teach you in utmost patience if i have the knowledge.

really no point in sticking around if the 'seniors' have no patience in teaching.
daredevil123, sorry but if you cannot do it constructively, why not don't answer at all.
period.

thelight,

actually i don't see anything wrong with daredevil123's response. it's exactly what i said, just put in a more candid way.

what is wrong with replying the same thing for all the questions?

if the answer to these are 8, then

5+3= ?
4+4= ?
1+7= ?

should i take the trouble to rephrase the number 8?

8? 八? a bit boh liao right.... i think daredevil123 was just trying to make a statement... guys, just be less sensitive, and stop thinking that everyone wants to put you down.

actually all TS is asking is for you guys to share your experience. for example base on your experience when you use borders.

so it may help if we start sharing.

also, since this is a newbie corner, you never know when those reading this thread may learn something about borders.

Last edited:
Well, there have been plenty of newbies who have gotten informative responses in the newbies corner. It all depends on the question and the way they ask the question, in order to get a specific answer.

DD123 has been extremely helpful to newbies. I personally know of many newbies who are grateful for his advise on leveling horizons, hyperfocal distance, etc.
Newbies should think about what kind of answer they are looking for before they ask questions. It is unreasonable to expect a long story covering all permutations in response to a vague question.

actually all TS is asking is for you guys to share your experience. for example base on your experience when you use borders.

so it may help if we start sharing.

also, since this is a newbie corner, you never know when those reading this thread may learn something about borders.

Think this sentence nail it. I think it may help as well, to start sharing and refrain from "google it" answers. :bsmilie:

Again, and we repeat ourselves here: that would be an experience mixed with and based on personal preferences - and therefore it cannot be lifted to a general guideline. Using Google you can find hundreds of border templates, check them and ask yourself whether you would use them.
Apart from that, I suggest considering these guidelines about picture presentation for a competiton: (taken from www.betterphoto.com):
Don't Distract the Viewer
[...]
1) The judges have generally learned to dislike borders. Borders are all too often placed around mediocre photos in an attempt to "dress them up". If you are considering a border, do what the judges do: examine the photo itself, critically and exclusively. Hold up your hands and use your fingers to temporarily hide the borders. If the photo does not stand on its own - without borders, then don't add a border.
2) We certainly support putting your own copyright symbol on your photos. However, if you are going to do this, try to keep the signature and copyright symbol from becoming too distracting. One trick is to color your font so that it works harmoniously with the other colors in your photo. Help your viewer keep his eye on your main subject.
I'm not saying "Don't use any border" - but be mindful when using them. Here an example for a well-adjusted border that works for me:
http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify/borderex.jpg

To be fair, this forum is really helpful and DD123 has a wealth of knowledge and readily shares them unreservedly. I wish to say thank you.
In closure, I am just asking for patience and a little EQ when silly questions were posed by nooby or newbies like me. Cheers everyone and once again a Big Thank You. :D

DD123 has been extremely helpful to newbies. I personally know of many newbies who are grateful for his advise on leveling horizons, hyperfocal distance, etc.
Newbies should think about what kind of answer they are looking for before they ask questions. It is unreasonable to expect a long story covering all permutations in response to a vague question.

i concur with the above. Pls understand where's DD123 coming from. He's always there to help whenever someone call for it.

TS, if you qs is vague, it will yield a general and vague reply as well.
Each has their own preference and style of presenting their photos. But do use them sparingly, so what u have ncie borders but your pic quality sux in terms of composition/representation and such. Sometimes i felt they have the tendency to distract more than to enhance the overall presentation

To be fair, this forum is really helpful and DD123 has a wealth of knowledge and readily shares them unreservedly. I wish to say thank you.
In closure, I am just asking for patience and a little EQ when silly questions were posed by nooby or newbies like me. Cheers everyone and once again a Big Thank You. :D

your questions are too general, there is no way to give you definite answer, nobody know your preference and don't want what are those photos about. sometime yes, sometime no, some people like (viewers) it, some people (viewers) don't like it, do you get it?

and daredevil123 is just stating a fact, your reply are no being polite, consider this is a warning.

Already supplied 3 examples. Still too generic?

Anyway, some nice guidelines there from Octarine. I actually learned something, which is why I created this thread in the first place.

Edit: Wow, catchlights. You reminded me of exactly why I always hesitate before posting here. Imagine if everyone replied on the Critique Corner, "Depends on how you want to present your picture". Fine, close this thread or ban me if you feel there is no photographic merit to be learned here.

My beef is not the questions. But the attitude in the responses the TS gave. Look at what he wrote to catchlights - "Ban Me" he says. He is already challenging the mod, which the mod can easily de-register him for.

And if you think the questions are good questions... why don't you try to answer them. I would like to see how you can do it and how long your answer will be. Come.. do it, answer his question. I will be here patiently waiting till you answer.

It is easy to say what you said, but do you do anything about it? Why did I respond that way in the first place? I was trying to make a point, that you need to discover what works for yourself. I did say in the final line in my first post, that everyone has to see what works for him/herself. THERE ARE NO RULES to presentation.

Come on. Answer TS questions here. I am waiting...

Last edited:
period.

I have been sharing my knowledge here in the forum, as well as taking time to guide newbies in person. Waking up early for morning shoots, forgoing family gatherings, creating articles.

Let me ask you: WHAT have YOU done lately to help and teach?

Talk is easy dude. If you want to talk the walk, you better be able to walk it.

Posing silly questions is not the problem, its the response when being told that the question is silly. You are right when you call for more patience and EQ, but its should apply to newbies, oldies and whatnots.

Being new to photography should not be a reason for showing a lack of netiquette. :)

My beef is not the questions. But the attitude in the responses the TS gave. Look at what he wrote to catchlights - "Ban Me" he says. He is already challenging the mod, which the mod can easily de-register him for.

And if you think the questions are good questions... why don't you try to answer them. I would like to see how you can do it and how long your answer will be. Come.. do it, answer his question. I will be here patiently waiting till you answer.

It is easy to say what you said, but do you do anything about it? Why did I respond that way in the first place? I was trying to make a point, that you need to discover what works for yourself. I did say in the final line in my first post, that everyone has to see what works for him/herself. THERE ARE NO RULES to presentation.

Come on. Answer TS questions here. I am waiting...

Don't wait, because I am an old man with a new hobby. And I don't know the answer to that question. That is the reason why I said the question is reasonable in my eyes.
My god! You are a hot person. Even now you are openly challenging me as well.
Like I said, this is a newbies corner and silly questions( even though I know there is no silly questions for newbies, go ask a 4 yr old), you can choose not to answer. The response was solicited, maybe even deserved( even though I don't agree).
You are definetly and unquestionably 'god' in knowledge of photography but I'm afraid you need a lot of work in the EQ department.
May peace be with you sir.

Don't wait, because I am an old man with a new hobby. And I don't know the answer to that question. That is the reason why I said the question is reasonable in my eyes.

how old are you?

i am 86 years old, let's form a senior citizen's corner and chit chat slowly. :bsmilie:

we can get daredevil to join us, he is 123 years old.

how old are you?

i am 86 years old, let's form a senior citizen's corner and chit chat slowly. :bsmilie:

well sir, if you are serious, it's really commendable that you are still so actively invovled in your hobby. although i am nearing 50, i don't believe DD is 123yrs old.
and if you are serious about kopi, i am game.
pm me.
:)

:bsmilie: I think nightmare's 86 refers to his birth year, not his current age. Else he'll have to change nick every year won't he? ;p
(Plus I don't think rivotan wants an old goat...)

well sir, if you are serious, it's really commendable that you are still so actively invovled in your hobby. although i am nearing 50, i don't believe DD is 123yrs old.

And kudos to you thelight, fancy being so active at your age! I wish my mum was more like that. :)

lighten up people,
we are here to learn and share,
and there are many people willing to share knowledge with others,
how much can ones learn from others is always depends his attitude. :)

ok, i'm just a passer by and have just finish reading every single post here... so here is the summary:

TS posted a question
DD answered it truthfully based on the knowledge from the question given
TS doesn't like the answer given, give his 2cent in somewhat seem like in a loud manner
and the post goes on, on who is right and wrong and abit of border comment... AKA off topic
------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, what i think is that if TS were not to bother with DD post and wait for other senior to reply... it won't have been so off topic...

border or no border does it really matter? do you print ur photo?
it really all square down to how u wan to present it and what is the picture... basically u seem to know alot of type of border and even their name (i dun even know wat does letter box border mean until i finish reading this post)... in this case u should have seen alot of different type of bordered photo... u should be able to judge it well urself, i believe... in photoshop there is a method (which i can't remember) where u can change the colour of background to see how it suit ur photo... u could use that to judge the colour of border to use, as for the type of border... u can always tried and error...

there is no die hard rule in art

ok, i'm just a passer by and have just finish reading every single post here... so here is the summary:

TS posted a question
DD answered it truthfully based on the knowledge from the question given
TS doesn't like the answer given, give his 2cent in somewhat seem like in a loud manner
and the post goes on, on who is right and wrong and abit of border comment... AKA off topic
------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, what i think is that if TS were not to bother with DD post and wait for other senior to reply... it won't have been so off topic...

border or no border does it really matter? do you print ur photo?
it really all square down to how u wan to present it and what is the picture... basically u seem to know alot of type of border and even their name (i dun even know wat does letter box border mean until i finish reading this post)... in this case u should have seen alot of different type of bordered photo... u should be able to judge it well urself, i believe... in photoshop there is a method (which i can't remember) where u can change the colour of background to see how it suit ur photo... u could use that to judge the colour of border to use, as for the type of border... u can always tried and error...

there is no die hard rule in art

I like this reply. Let's continue to talk about photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.