Which basic phtography courses should I take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisciplineMaster

May 7, 2005
I saw from your discussions that there different places offering such basic photgraphy courses. There are, PSS, SLCC, now also got chai chee cc by francis? Which one will all of you recommend? or should I just learnt from some of u out there who are willing to teach, like what your always said about your outings? Would like to hear from all experts and those who has been to such courses? Thanks...

no expert here... but what do you know about photography now? whats your interest?

all basic would be almost the same, since i never been to 1, i am not fit to give any suggestion here... but after attending the actual day wedding course from SLCC, it have helped me learn more about exposure & composition... at least from my perspective anyway...

otherwise you can always learn at your own time own target, join outings whereby users with the same camera as yours, who understand the pros & cons of the system. from there you can learn more about your gear and your limitation. can also borrow some lens or accessories to test.

DisciplineMaster said:
I saw from your discussions that there different places offering such basic photgraphy courses. There are, PSS, SLCC, now also got chai chee cc by francis? Which one will all of you recommend?

Have you considered reading a book on the topic instead? Concerning the technical side, it seems most basic courses do little more than reiterate what's already written in the camera manual. For the style/artistic side of things, looking at other's pictures and trying to find out why you do or don't like them may be more enlightening than an instructor grading the results of an organized group photo shoot.

I'm think one can gain a much more thorough background by reading up and trying things on your own instead of going through some crash course. I've seen many comments here on ClubSnap along the lines of "my instructor said ..." instead of "as I understand it ...".

LittleWolf said:
Have you considered reading a book on the topic instead? Concerning the technical side, it seems most basic courses do little more than reiterate what's already written in the camera manual. For the style/artistic side of things, looking at other's pictures and trying to find out why you do or don't like them may be more enlightening than an instructor grading the results of an organized group photo shoot.

I'm think one can gain a much more thorough background by reading up and trying things on your own instead of going through some crash course. I've seen many comments here on ClubSnap along the lines of "my instructor said ..." instead of "as I understand it ...".

i can certainly agree with this recommendation. I attended a basic course when I first got interested in photography. It was a once a week course over several weeks. Well, I think, on the technical side of things, I think I could give better instruction than the teacher, coming from a background of academia and having a small ablilty to read. On the whole I felt that I did not really learn that much. But my point is that, certailnly on the technical side of things, learning how to use the camera and using it in a reasonable manner can be aquired from reading a couple of good books.

However, that was my personal experience. I think my instructor was a good photographer, but not a terribly good teacher.

However, if one could find a good teacher, a good mentor, I do believe the learning curve can be shorten considerably. And here, I think the best thing you could do is look for references from newbies like yourself, and check out whether which course will meet your needs.

You needs to learn the foundation course, from the basic of knowing the difference types/format/usage (ie APS, 35mm, 120 up to 8x10) of cameras in the market. Then zoom in to 35mm which is currently what most photographer are using ... SLR/DSLR.

I suggest you can attend course at some CC which offerred 10 lessons and less than $200 for Basic photography. From there finds your kakis and learn and grow together ..... :)

Hi.... I want to be honest and not sound like we are promoting our course. There are many courses available for you. Like what most have said, find out about the content of the course....some teach more while some just teach you enough to take a decent photo. Ultimately, it depends on how much you want to know. We know of some students who read up books but could not give us convincing answers when we probed further why certain settings were used and how they would affect a picture. A lot of factors make a good pic and you cant find such knowledge from books. Sharing of experience and thought process helps. We also have to agree with 'student' some are fantastic photographers but a lousy teacher. I mean we do have straight As students who have no personality :bsmilie: .....dun flame me, just quoting an example. Visit the previous thread in the workshop forum and read what other students think of the courses and instructor. At least, we at SLCC make sure our students graduate with confidence in taking their next picture. If not, we want you back for FREE remedial training. If you are NOT good enough in our eyes, then you are not due for graduation yet.

Enuff said, it's your call ..dun be inflienced by anyone of us. If a course fits your expecation, then go for it.

If you want a FREE chat, drop by SLCC and give Blitz28 a call. Do check out other courses elsewhere personally too.

Good Luck and welcome to the interesting world of photography !

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this web site. Finally I found a local forum abt photography. I am thinking of getting some course as well. BTW, what does SLCC stands for? And website for me to take a look abt this school? Thanks a million. :)

coolingspeed said:
Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this web site. Finally I found a local forum abt photography. I am thinking of getting some course as well. BTW, what does SLCC stands for? And website for me to take a look abt this school? Thanks a million. :)

WELCOME to CLUBSNAP and the world of photography !

SLCC --> Stanley Lim Colour Centre...do a search here in this sub-forum and you will see our level of participation and contribution -- of cos, find out location too.

I am afraid we do not have a website but give Blitz28 or Joanne a call and drop by SLCC to talk to us and we will explain to you what we do. No obligation ..you are free to consider other courses elsewhere after our chat.

Cheers !

Hi ! All

Photography courses - Grab a copy of the iPHOTO magazine
(available FOC from Photo stores) and all the different
courses from various photo clubs is available there

I personally have attended 2 courses from PSS before; "Basic" & "Creative Photograhy" - its definately faster to catch up than reading a book (My experience)

Hope that helps !

Status
Not open for further replies.