Which Ball Head for Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

stnicholas81

Apr 14, 2005
Singapore
stnicholas81a.blogspot.com
Hi All,

Need some help in recommending a ballhead for a Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom. Ideally to hold a D300 class body with a prime lens only eg 50 1.8.

Considering something within the range of 150sgd, can suggest?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Need some help in recommending a ballhead for a Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom. Ideally to hold a D300 class body with a prime lens only eg 50 1.8.

Thanks!

Ummm... The whole thingy is made of balls already, you still need to add another ball meh? Heeheehee.

Hi All,

Thanks!

Do you even know what a Gorilla Pod looks like?

I use the Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom too! great stuffs especially for travelling!

anyway the ballhead i used is the Benro BH-0. its not top of the line stuffs but it holds my d300 with 17-55mm pretty well if you know how to arrange the tripod legs properly. i sorta feel its an overkill getting bigger and higher end ballheads because that will both be bigger than the gorillapod tripod head base and will add to the weight, making it harder to stabilize the gorillapod. The diameter of the BH-0 is exactly the same as the gorillapod ball-head base, which is great!

I got a friend that used a 484 on his GP SLR Zoom. Works quite nicely as well.

Ryan

seriously, I ever went to CP and check out the gorilla pod, the sales person suggest to get a small ball head for it.
I am puzzled. then, later, I found that actually, you don't need one. the camera can attach straight to it.

I am happy using it with a D300 with 17-55 f2.8. no issue with weight.

You can try Manfrotto ball heads. There should be something within your $$ range. I got mine from John3:16.

In any case, it's good to have a ball head for the pod. What you'll usually do is to secure the pod first, and then fit the camera on the pod, and then use the ball head for framing adjustments. I wouldn't attach camera to pod first and then secure the pod because I have butter fingers.

btw, what is your present tripod brand? It makes sense to buy the same type of ball head that can share the same plate for easy interchangeability.

Although u can definitely move without the ballhead, a ballhead makes fine adjustments much easier after attachment.

Ryan

You can try Manfrotto ball heads. There should be something within your $$ range. I got mine from John3:16.

In any case, it's good to have a ball head for the pod. What you'll usually do is to secure the pod first, and then fit the camera on the pod, and then use the ball head for framing adjustments. I wouldn't attach camera to pod first and then secure the pod because I have butter fingers.

btw, what is your present tripod brand? It makes sense to buy the same type of ball head that can share the same plate for easy interchangeability.

Although u can definitely move without the ballhead, a ballhead makes fine adjustments much easier after attachment.

Ryan

Like to check actual experiences... did you try without ball head and is it really different? Does it "spring" back a little when you let go after framing?

I tot only it lack quick release function... other than that, ball head on it is pretty redundant.

I'm thinking of getting a G-pod too. :)

Like to check actual experiences... did you try without ball head and is it really different? Does it "spring" back a little when you let go after framing?

I tot only it lack quick release function... other than that, ball head on it is pretty redundant.

That's my experience too... Once set, it's solid. No point still getting a ballhead...

Hi Cyrn, the last i tried my friend's setup it was with his head already. I made fine framing adjustments with the head after I locked the feet in a native position. Otherwise I think without the head, adjustments will definitely impact the feet of the tripod and move the entire tripod setup a little. Might take a little experience to get used to.

I am actually contemplating getting one too! :think:

Ryan

For me it was a challenge to frame first and then secure the pod. Somewhat after twisting and turning the pod legs, the frame will be shifted again. That's why to end the frustration, I got a ball head.

A g-pod is not a true tripod, so you can expect some reframing with or without the ball head, though ball head give you better control. Be aware of the total weight of your setup - including the ball head.

On the subject of buying a pod, take note that there are 2 versions - the original (ard $89) and the OEM (probably cost half of that). Both look and feel the same (from same factory leh!), but I wouldn't be able to comment on the respective realiability after long usage...I suspect the ball joints may become loose one day. Suggest that you can check these out at OP of SLS for a try.

btw, I got mine at a steal from eBay at $15 (OEM version). Don't ask me how 'cos my friend bought it for me.

Cheers!

That's my experience too... Once set, it's solid. No point still getting a ballhead...

Hi Cyrn, the last i tried my friend's setup it was with his head already. I made fine framing adjustments with the head after I locked the feet in a native position. Otherwise I think without the head, adjustments will definitely impact the feet of the tripod and move the entire tripod setup a little. Might take a little experience to get used to.

I am actually contemplating getting one too! :think:

Ryan

For me it was a challenge to frame first and then secure the pod. Somewhat after twisting and turning the pod legs, the frame will be shifted again. That's why to end the frustration, I got a ball head.

A g-pod is not a true tripod, so you can expect some reframing with or without the ball head, though ball head give you better control. Be aware of the total weight of your setup - including the ball head.

On the subject of buying a pod, take note that there are 2 versions - the original (ard $89) and the OEM (probably cost half of that). Both look and feel the same (from same factory leh!), but I wouldn't be able to comment on the respective realiability after long usage...I suspect the ball joints may become loose one day. Suggest that you can check these out at OP of SLS for a try.

btw, I got mine at a steal from eBay at $15 (OEM version). Don't ask me how 'cos my friend bought it for me.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm thinking of getting the big version from CP.. but currently will only be using it with my LX-3.

Where in Sg can get the OEM version... cuz first G-pod, try try.. get as cheap as possible. If good then commit to better quality one.

:)

I got a G-pod SLR Zoom... But I dont have BH for that.
just mount my DSLR on it and is solid like a rock...

I think a BH is not a must for me....

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm thinking of getting the big version from CP.. but currently will only be using it with my LX-3.

Where in Sg can get the OEM version... cuz first G-pod, try try.. get as cheap as possible. If good then commit to better quality one.

:)

Can try Orient Photo, 6th floor Sim Lim Sq for the OEM version.

Do you even know what a Gorilla Pod looks like?

Why not? Do you?

To the rest of the brilliant bros who provided constructive feedback, thanks a bunch. Yes, the true purpose of me getting the ball head would be to assist in easier framing which is what I felt after getting it. Other than that the gorilla pod works great by itself for impromptu snapshots.

Might want to consider the latest model - Focus. although it is the biggest one of them all, I would think carrying the Focus might not be that much different from carrying the SLR-Zoom model. You can even put a video camera or massive lens with pro body camera on it.

http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/focus/

Diggin up a recent post for added feedback. I just bought my SLR zoom from Cathay

No the gorillapod is NOT the easiest monster to do fine adjustment without a ballhead.
Yes it is firm once u set onto a structure, but tilting your horizon for that small degree is a chore. The ball and sockets are pretty stiff and firm, and as a result there is a bit of springing back when u are trying small adjustments.

I am using my smaller Q3 head on it for now before looking for an even smaller head.

BTW the focus looks huge, and unless u r mounting some heavy lenses, the slr zoom is a good small affordable package.

Ryan

I got an OEM version from ebay and discovered i can't mount either my camera (Canon 450d) nor any of my flashes (with standard screw at bottom of their mini-stands) on it! The screw is too big! What is the standard DSLR camera thread 1/4" or 3/8"?

I got an OEM version from ebay and discovered i can't mount either my camera (Canon 450d) nor any of my flashes (with standard screw at bottom of their mini-stands) on it! The screw is too big! What is the standard DSLR camera thread 1/4" or 3/8"?

If you had bought the proper tripod instead of the 'cheong' version, then you will realise that it has a adaptor screw. So it fits both 1/4" and 3/8". Cameras and flashes use 1/4". 3/8" is for some tripod heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.