Which Ball Head for Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a ballhead is not an absolute necessity with the Gorillapod, but it helps. After you secure the Gorillapod to an object, you don't want to be messing with the legs to get the composition right. So, you play around with a tripod head.

But I use the Gorillapod mainly for my flash. So, I don't need to mount a tripod head.

But on days I want to mount my camera, I will mount a 484rc2 on it.

I got an OEM version from ebay and discovered i can't mount either my camera (Canon 450d) nor any of my flashes (with standard screw at bottom of their mini-stands) on it! The screw is too big! What is the standard DSLR camera thread 1/4" or 3/8"?

If you had bought the proper tripod instead of the 'cheong' version, then you will realise that it has a adaptor screw. So it fits both 1/4" and 3/8". Cameras and flashes use 1/4". 3/8" is for some tripod heads.

I scoured the internet looking for a 'converter' and desperate i went to a camera shop (AKL) to try my luck. After 10 mins of messing about, I finally sussed out that the converter i was looking for was already on my 'cheong' gorillpod! It was there the whole time! All i had to do was unscrew it and the smaller 1/4" thread was hidden underneath. Duh. Now im a happy camper.
As an aside, is it true that 'cheong' or ebay versions are from the same factory as the original Jobys? Cos i tried the Joby one and it feels the same.

I scoured the internet looking for a 'converter' and desperate i went to a camera shop (AKL) to try my luck. After 10 mins of messing about, I finally sussed out that the converter i was looking for was already on my 'cheong' gorillpod! It was there the whole time! All i had to do was unscrew it and the smaller 1/4" thread was hidden underneath. Duh. Now im a happy camper.
As an aside, is it true that 'cheong' or ebay versions are from the same factory as the original Jobys? Cos i tried the Joby one and it feels the same.

I guess the one you get is an original one?
Anyway, someone told me any ball head should be able to use on Gorilla pod. And I plan to use BH-0 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.