Which backpack is good?

Alan2701

Dec 29, 2010
Hi,
Looking to buy a moderate backpack for my dslr.
Flipside™ 200
Primus™ AW
Pro Runner™ 200 AW
Pro Runner™ 300 AW
Pro Runner™ 350 AW
Versapack™ 200 AW

Which is better and how expensive they are?

Where can I get it?

Are they good?

Many thanks in helping me. :)

Alan

Ask yourself this. What's your budget? What do you want to put inside? Is flipside sufficient for your tele or do you really need the bulk of prorunner 350 for your wide angle?

There's no one best bag, but there will be one bag that will suit your needs best. :)

Anyway, most of them in this list cost bwt 100-200 :)

Hi,
Flipside™ 200
Primus™ AW
Pro Runner™ 200 AW
Pro Runner™ 300 AW
Pro Runner™ 350 AW
Versapack™ 200 AW

Where can I get it?

Are they good?

Alan

Looks like you are looking at bags of various sizes, getting which depends on the amount of gear you bring with you. One good way would be to go down to TK Foto to check out the bags. They have price tags on the bags so you can see the price as well.

Yeah, all the bags are good but you have to physically check it out to see which one you're comfortable with.
Another way is to go to a big Challenger to see which fits your gear best (less people looking so you can take as much time as you want) and then go to cheaper shops like TK to buy. :p

CP having a promo for verasack bag at 98. While stocks last only

Hi,
Flipside™ 200
Primus™ AW
Pro Runner™ 200 AW
Pro Runner™ 300 AW
Pro Runner™ 350 AW
Versapack™ 200 AW

Where can I get it?

Are they good?

Alan

All cater to different needs. Each model got different uses and perks.. And weakness. The larger number for Lowepro usually just means larger capacity.

So to decide, try to think of using it practically. Also, think of how much gear you plan to carry around. Weight, whether it's usable. I mean, we probably could all carry 20 kg of stuff around, but you will pretty much feel damn bloody silly if you end up using 1 lens.

That said you can think and plan and listen to people opinion, but in the end, if you don't like the bag, you just don't like it. Just take it as a rental fee. Cheers.

I currently got only one kit lens but thinking of getting additional lens in near future. I would also like to carry tripod along. Accessories like charger, lens covers, filters. iPad, battery.

Which is suitable for my configuration?

I currently got only one kit lens but thinking of getting additional lens in near future. I would also like to carry tripod along. Accessories like charger, lens covers, filters. iPad, battery.

Which is suitable for my configuration?

Most camera backpacks can easily carry all the thing you mention. Do take note on the tripod, only some backpacks can carry full sized tripods.

I'm using Kata 123-GO-10 bagpack.
Compact and lightweight, not sure if it's compatible with an external tripod holder(I think it does)
Fits:
D90
18-105mm
70-300mm G
35mm f/1.8
60mm AF Micro
Nissin Di622 flash
Blower
Lenspen
1-2 filters
Backup battery
Backup memory card

Something for you to consider even in future expansion.
Still like some fellow CSers mentioned, if all u use is only one single lens, this 10l is more than enough too

I can tell you buying a camera bag is like going through school. You start off kindergarten style, then progress to uni.

If you really want to buy 1 bag, you will need to sit down and spend some time thinking it out.
Most decent sized camera bag will be able to put all those small items you mentioned so they are not so impt.

What you really need to consider is
1) how much gear you have now, how much gear you might have in 3 years time or more.
Just the size of your body will determine which kind of bag you cannot use (body+grip makes it much taller)

2) how much traveling will you be doing with this bag. as in not just outing in spore, but like overseas trips etc.
3) do you need it to fit a laptop? if yes, how big is your laptop? 10inch netbooks? or 14inch-15inch laptop?
4) do you do hikes? in weather changing conditions?
2+3+4 will tell you to look for bags that can either carry laptops, carry additional clothings or materials like raincoat, waterbottles, etc

4) Your kind of photography. street? beach? need fast access? security? wet and wild weather (eg shooting storms etc)

Your duration of photography

5) your personality: you want vibrant hip stuff like crumpler? stylish stuff like the bilinghams? or you want low profile eg just a black bag?

Once you have thought these through, go online and do more studying. visit websites for camera bags:
Typical: lowepro, tamracs, kata, Think tank, crumpler, etc etc.. there are also a fair number of brands that may not be so well known but can have some nice tricks.

look for bags that have a rain sleeve. Most backpacks/sling bags should have.

Then if you want cheaper, you may be able to find some imitations from HK or China on fleabay. I would say they work pretty much the same, maybe even better functions such as the placing of the tripod holder.

1) In my case, i started off with a small sling/shoulder bag that can hold 1body+lens and some small accessories.

2) Then lens grew bigger.. so got a back sling bag.
this one can carry 1 body+ small sized short tele, plus either a 50mm and a sb600, or another lens eg a 85mm if I am not carrying the sb600.

Then came the battery grip.
I can modify the set up to carry body and lens dismantled on the above bag.. but very annoying..

3) so bag upgrade again
this time a tamrac sling bag. This one can carry body+grip+80-200mm attach.. it is a top loader style, and can add 2 more lenses + flashes. and small accessories.
this is fantastic for me for use under 4hrs. if more the shoulder can become really sore.
but access to lenses etc is really fast.

4) THen I started to travel more between states (i am based in australia now)
and brings a laptop.. so I went with a kata 467.
pretty good.
I can carry laptop, camera compartment can carry: 1body+grip+short tele, + 2 lens+ small accessories. the upper compartment can either carry my clothings+food, or more camera gear like 80-200, + 2 flashes etc.

5) Then I started a bit of event work. so found these bags too annoying. the sling bag can swing ard. so I got the lowepro belt system. very good for event photography.

6) eventually, equipment grew too much, and i upgraded to the lowepro computrekker (medium size i think). This bag is like a wormhole hehehehe.

did I throw away or sell off or abandon other older bags?
nope they are all still being used!!... maybe not number 1.

when i do street photography, I tend to go
bag 3) for new places,
bag 2) for revisits, and to limit lenses and improve creativity

Beach photography
bag 3)

events:
Bag 6) plus bag 5)

interstates events: Bag 4/6 plus bag 5, depending on how much gear i need.

Hope that helps :D

Does Taka sell camera backpack? Cos I want to make use of my Taka voucher.
I'm going HK so thinking of buying a backpack for easy access. But must be able to carry tripod.
Thank you guys for the great advice. Appreciate. :)

Does Taka sell camera backpack? Cos I want to make use of my Taka voucher.
I'm going HK so thinking of buying a backpack for easy access. But must be able to carry tripod.
Thank you guys for the great advice. Appreciate. :)

As far as I know, nope, none sold there, unless you are looking for something really really branded and use it as a camera bag.:bsmilie: Jokes aside, the nearest would be the Crumpler shop in Ion.

NedKelly said:
I can tell you buying a camera bag is like going through school. You start off kindergarten style, then progress to uni.

If you really want to buy 1 bag, you will need to sit down and spend some time thinking it out.
Most decent sized camera bag will be able to put all those small items you mentioned so they are not so impt.

What you really need to consider is
1) how much gear you have now, how much gear you might have in 3 years time or more.
Just the size of your body will determine which kind of bag you cannot use (body+grip makes it much taller)

2) how much traveling will you be doing with this bag. as in not just outing in spore, but like overseas trips etc.
3) do you need it to fit a laptop? if yes, how big is your laptop? 10inch netbooks? or 14inch-15inch laptop?
4) do you do hikes? in weather changing conditions?
2+3+4 will tell you to look for bags that can either carry laptops, carry additional clothings or materials like raincoat, waterbottles, etc

4) Your kind of photography. street? beach? need fast access? security? wet and wild weather (eg shooting storms etc)

Your duration of photography

5) your personality: you want vibrant hip stuff like crumpler? stylish stuff like the bilinghams? or you want low profile eg just a black bag?

Once you have thought these through, go online and do more studying. visit websites for camera bags:
Typical: lowepro, tamracs, kata, Think tank, crumpler, etc etc.. there are also a fair number of brands that may not be so well known but can have some nice tricks.

look for bags that have a rain sleeve. Most backpacks/sling bags should have.

Then if you want cheaper, you may be able to find some imitations from HK or China on fleabay. I would say they work pretty much the same, maybe even better functions such as the placing of the tripod holder.

1) In my case, i started off with a small sling/shoulder bag that can hold 1body+lens and some small accessories.

2) Then lens grew bigger.. so got a back sling bag.
this one can carry 1 body+ small sized short tele, plus either a 50mm and a sb600, or another lens eg a 85mm if I am not carrying the sb600.

Then came the battery grip.
I can modify the set up to carry body and lens dismantled on the above bag.. but very annoying..

3) so bag upgrade again
this time a tamrac sling bag. This one can carry body+grip+80-200mm attach.. it is a top loader style, and can add 2 more lenses + flashes. and small accessories.
this is fantastic for me for use under 4hrs. if more the shoulder can become really sore.
but access to lenses etc is really fast.

4) THen I started to travel more between states (i am based in australia now)
and brings a laptop.. so I went with a kata 467.
pretty good.
I can carry laptop, camera compartment can carry: 1body+grip+short tele, + 2 lens+ small accessories. the upper compartment can either carry my clothings+food, or more camera gear like 80-200, + 2 flashes etc.

5) Then I started a bit of event work. so found these bags too annoying. the sling bag can swing ard. so I got the lowepro belt system. very good for event photography.

6) eventually, equipment grew too much, and i upgraded to the lowepro computrekker (medium size i think). This bag is like a wormhole hehehehe.

did I throw away or sell off or abandon other older bags?
nope they are all still being used!!... maybe not number 1.

when i do street photography, I tend to go
bag 3) for new places,
bag 2) for revisits, and to limit lenses and improve creativity

Beach photography
bag 3)

events:
Bag 6) plus bag 5)

interstates events: Bag 4/6 plus bag 5, depending on how much gear i need.

Hope that helps :D

A really good breakdown. Gives good insight on bags you will use. Very similar thing happen to me. I have a lower revo shoulder bag, flip side 250, fastpack 350 and think tank urban disguise 50.

Hi Everyone,

May i know if anyone knows if this Versapack™ 200 AW is able to put in a ipad?

thanks

Hi Everyone,

May i know if anyone knows if this Versapack™ 200 AW is able to put in a ipad?

thanks

Okie, i think i found the answer myself. This pic says it all.

tryone.jpg

Hi, eventually I purchased Pro Runner 300 AW from TK Foto after comparing some backpacks.

Thank you all for the great advice. :)