---Which Audio Format Do You Use For Your Portable Music Player?

---Which Audio Format Do You Use For Your Portable Music Player?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MP3 at 256kbps...... :thumbsup:

Same here...any higher and i can't hear the difference on my portable creative in ear phones.

At 128kbps vs 192kbps, you can hear the difference in how "live" the sound is. For 192kbps and 256 kbps small difference, so kiasu me will rip at 256kbps too be sure.

Mp3, @ vbr 192.

So which format is the best in terms of audible purity... i.e. as close as actual cd that you can hear. And which ripping software is the best?

I am planning to re-rip all of my cds!
Currently, I am using Apple itunes to rip cds.
I've tried Apple lossless and compared to 320 bitrate mp3... they do sound a little different but only very slightly and the file size is a world of difference... I am put off by the file size. I have 30 Gb iPod and 100+ cds of music so I don't think the large lossless format is the way to go. I'm using Shure SE210 earphones.

Just trying to figure out how to get the best out of the cds when getting it into the player, while not dealing with humongus file sizes and increased battery drain.
Thanks.

So which format is the best in terms of audible purity... i.e. as close as actual cd that you can hear. And which ripping software is the best?

I am planning to re-rip all of my cds!
Currently, I am using Apple itunes to rip cds.
I've tried Apple lossless and compared to 320 bitrate mp3... they do sound a little different but only very slightly and the file size is a world of difference... I am put off by the file size. I have 30 Gb iPod and 100+ cds of music so I don't think the large lossless format is the way to go. I'm using Shure SE210 earphones.

Just trying to figure out how to get the best out of the cds when getting it into the player, while not dealing with humongus file sizes and increased battery drain.
Thanks.

Apple Lossless is fine for classical music but it wastes too much space for typical music that isn't quite so dynamic. Stravinsky's Firebird Suite would show you a huge difference over AAC or MP3, for example, but most music isn't worth the use of the extra space.

What is FLAC?

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3,
but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in
quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much
better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can
play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home
stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file.

FLAC stands out as the fastest and most widely supported lossless audio
codec, and the only one that at once is non-proprietary, is unencumbered
by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, has a well
documented format and API, and has several other independent
implementations.

Link to FLAC

Status
Not open for further replies.