Which 8MegaPixel DigiCam huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stergeR

Feb 28, 2004
northSite
hi all..
am going to get my first digicam.. so hope to get some suggestions frm here...

:think: was wondering...which 8megapixel camera will u recommand? i have these 3 choices on mind at this moment..
frm wat i noe frm d market..they r
Nikon Coolpix 8700 , Sony DSC-F828 and Konica Minolta Dimage A2....

n oso a 5megapix cam can print up to A2 bo? quality stil gd?

THANKS all~! :rbounce:

stergeR said:
hi all..

:think: was wondering...which 8megapixel camera will u recommand? i have these 3 choices on mind at this moment..

Wah! Print until A2 huh? A bit the big and expensive, right? :dunno:

olympus 8080 :)

stergeR said:
hi all..

Actually I wanted to write some nasty comments, then decide against doing that. Anyway, I do not think it is a good reason to buy a camera which is not available (other than 828) based on other people's comments. 828 is a failure IMO for its noisy output (as told to you, it is merely my opinion so take that lightly and see the results yourself).

I wouldn't recommend you to get any of those until you figured out what you are using your camera for. All of the cameras you listed are quite bulky compared to the regular point and shoot ones. Go and think about what do you normally take pictures of and make a decision from there. Or you can tell us and we can recommend for you.

If you are dead set on buying anyone of those, I would recommend either the 8700 or the A2.

oh..ermm... a reason to buy a 8megapixel cam, partly becos..i need it for my job, where high resolution is needed for my werks. n oso i love photography as it is reali interesting n fun, not to mention expensive too.. hehe.. currently i own a slr camera..nt a professional kind, juz a eos300. hoping to get a digicam cos..i can miss out d developing of photos lo....much more faster lo..

ermm..actuali i haf check out the prices for a 8megapix cam, all ard 1800++ lo. n i found out d price of a 5 megapix cam is ard 1300-1500++.. as i will b paying my digicam using installment..cos bo $$. hehe :think: so was thinkin of, getting d 8megapix cam instead..cos i wan a better resolution photo mah...

i wan a digicam wher i can take video oso. so i can play wif video-editing too.
N, my initial choice was nikon8700.. i went to harVnorman n thers a promotor who sugguest sonyF828.. den i went to do some research on F828, n found dat d reviews were quite nasty... :eek:

I AM in A DILEMMA~! :confused: Heellpppp…… din’t noe getting a digicam is so stress… :cry:

Hope to get some real fantastic opinions or suggestions frm here… ;)

zekai : canon pro1..hmmm…I tot nt in spore. Hehe.. so I nv tot of canon brand…blur me. Will luk into dat.. thks..

cheatchu79: I haf no idea if I need to print until so big or nt.. juz in case lo…cos i scare 5 megapix cam, nt enough to blow up till A2. hehe.. thks..

zaren : olympus 8080.. will look into dat… thks..

majere2sg: Canon 1D Mark II, dun haf video… thks..

theITguy: I noe…F828 nt reali gd…haf read d reviews.. seen d sample photo. A bit sad lo.. thks

tmc17479: A2..theres no review on tis. So its kinda hard for me to decide on it..i cant reali find a sample photo oso. thks..

did i missed out any1~?! hehe..

:light: conclusion : I would prefer a digicam : 28-200 lens, video, haf good resolution..

for above info, pls correct me if i m wrong~!
THKS all… I reali appreciate all your comments…thks so much~ :rbounce:

are you in a hurry to get it now?
Canon Powershot Pro 1 is a very exciting model

regardless of other people comment with camera problems (e.g. 828) you must see to believe. Many review complained my Sony 505V had disney color because of the red saturation.... it is a matter of taste. I really like the color juiced up...

Many people said G2 was a fantastic camera last time. When I first got it... I could not stand the difference it had.

So, that said you must really borrow, see at showroom to get a better idea...
granted that showroom is a bit difficult coz i dun think you have all the diff type of storage card to record images from diff cameras to compare at home... next best things is friends or other CS member..(SEEDS?)

Isn't EOS300 pro enough? Personally, I think it's rather pro already. Some people don't even have that kind of camera.
If you want digital lens which can zoom up to as in 200mm in a SLR camera, be prepared to pay a lot more than $1800 for your digital camera (if you're buying the 8 megapixel) because you'll need some really powerful teleconvertors and I think they can be rather heavy on the purse.

I have a 4 megapixel Olympus and the pictures I take are usually around 3-4 MB. So I was wondering if you're also willing to spend more on memory cards because your 8 megapixel picture is gonna take up lots of space.

Does an enlargement up to A2 require 8 megapixels to be 'noiseless'? Can someone please comment??

c8080..... sharpest 2/3" 8 megapix around...........

Zekai: not reali hurry to get a digicam..been wanting one since 2 yrs ago nia.. as I juz came out to werk nt long..therefore, i tink its time for me to fulfill my dream : a digicam..hehe…. :wink: Well, I haf read about canon Pro1, seems nt bad to me..Is PRO1 out in spore? I tink canon brand r nt bad. Cos I loan a G3 b4 during my skooldays, n it seems great to me~! Mayb becos I tried only canon brand. Ha!

there will b a IT show cuming on march > http://www.itshow.com.sg/
mayb cheaper..but no use to me.. hai

Poledra: oppsss…sorry, am nt reali gd about camera stuffs… hehe.. ermm..tot theres a few models that has only 1 lens that can zoom in/out 28-200mm.. or u mean I haf to buy another teleconvertor in order to use d built-in 28-200mm lens? :sweatsm:

Btw, how much will a 512mb n a 1 gb memory card cost ard?

Thks all :rbounce:

stergeR said:
majere2sg: Canon 1D Mark II, dun haf video… thks..
I'm sure Canon will be looking closely at why they've lost one of their potential customers and introduce full video functions to their next flagship 1Ds Mark II. :think: :D

Anyway, I think Poledra's talking about SLR's which might require teleconvertors to get your desired focal length as opposed to digicams.

stergeR said:
Poledra: oppsss…sorry, am nt reali gd about camera stuffs… hehe.. ermm..tot theres a few models that has only 1 lens that can zoom in/out 28-200mm.. or u mean I haf to buy another teleconvertor in order to use d built-in 28-200mm lens? :sweatsm:

Btw, how much will a 512mb n a 1 gb memory card cost ard?

Wait.
You're getting me all confused too. :sweatsm:
For SLRs, there are really nice 28-200mm lens lying around.
But I believe you're looking for DIGITAL cameras. I usually find that the zoom of these cameras are not as powerful as SLRs. So, in my most limited experience with digital cameras, (esp the canon A series) you do need a teleconverter to get a range as huge as SLRs' 200mm. And as everyone knows, teleconverters cost money. (sadly, nothing is free..)

Does this clear it up?
Must let you know first, I'm a SLR user, not digi-fied yet. Computer Times is trying to digi-fy me. :D

I second the notion that it's a matter of perception and subjectivity when it comes to camera selection. Perhaps most of the time, many are bounded by loyalty to a certain brand or model. Here're some considerations when selecting a camera:

1) Do you really need an 8 megapixel? Photo enlargement of A3 or for that matter A2 sizes?
2) Which ever the model you're considering, try it out at the shop. The most important factor is that you feel comfortable with the camera in your hands. Also try out how good you feel about its control buttons and functions.
3) Does the price fit into your budget. No point eyeing on that prized model if it is beyond your reach in the very first place.

Personally, I am a nikon fan and user. But I just got the Sony 828 to try it out. And it does have its merits despite what some readers might say about it. Check out the review at:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

And as an amatuer, so far I'm quite happy with the results, though obviously the camera can do more in the hands of a professional (it's always about the man behind the machine).

For this price range (S$1700), it is value for money. You can click on this link to view my humble pictures shot by the sony 828 on my first little field trip (on 3-4 megapixel resolution):

http://homepage.mac.com/lundywong/DriftingThoughts/PhotoAlbum87.html

If you're going to print A2, get a dSLR. The image quality jump from digicam to dSLR is huge, and is easily visible at A2 prints. You will have to give up the 'video' requirement though. Currently, none of the dSLRs provide video function... and i don't any of them are going to.

The issue here is not the megapixel count - a 1D at 4mpix can do A2s easily bcoz of the high image quality.

BTW, good A2 prints require a fair bit of postprocessing work. You'd need to work on a calibrated monitor as well.

You requirements are contradicting: you want flexible - with video capability; you want quality - A2 prints; and you want it cheap - below $3k? (And do want it small and light and now?)

You mentioned it was for work and you need high resolution - how high? If the company's paying, suggest getting a 1Ds and some good lenses - better still, hire a freelance photog or get one on payroll. Good high res pictures require some skill and experience.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, no offence intended.

stergeR said:
i wan a digicam wher i can take video oso. so i can play wif video-editing too.
N, my initial choice was nikon8700..

Video? Still cameras are for still images, and video is for video cameras.

Poledra said:
But I believe you're looking for DIGITAL cameras. I usually find that the zoom of these cameras are not as powerful as SLRs.

Some digital cameras have zoom ranges that exceed the zoom range of a vast majority of SLR lenses.

for example, the 35mm-420mm f2.8 leica zoom lens (with image stabilizer to boot) in the Panasonic FZ10 digicam.

Status
Not open for further replies.