Which 70mm-300mm is better? Tamron or Sigma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youhong

Dec 30, 2004
Considering of getting a longer range lens with macro capabilities... Narrow down the search to the follows... Need some advice... :sweat:

Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
- http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70300_di_a017.asp

Sigma APO 70-300mm F4-5.6DG Macro
- http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/telezoom/70_300_4_56_apo.htm

Seems like Tamron is slightly better:
- Lighter weight (435g VS 550g)
- 13 elements and 9 groups VS 14 elements and 10 groups
- Smaller min aperature (F32 VS F22)

The question is that is there anything more to look out for? Not too sure which one AF faster etc... What's the approx price out there for these lens? :think:

between 2... Sigma... of course..

Take sigma.... Had that lens before i sold it off - it is sharp :)

tamron over sigma

both will do fine. I had an earlier version of the Sigma 70-300 APO which worked fine for me (sharp wide open!) till the "L" bug bit and I upgraded to 70-200F4L.

sigma over tamron.
the CA in tamron is high (visible), while in sigma is not.
but.., imho, compared to tamron, sigma is a little bit soft in its 300mm wide open.

your choice.

I have sigma by the way.., the APO glass is the reason. :D

so tamron or sigma?
i cannot make this choice too.
for tamron will the size sacifice quality?
the elements n group.more or less is better?
and aperature(though ppl look at bigger F-stops)
tamron not easy to find. sigma is every where!!!

I was told by a semi pro.(Not to mention name) from CS also. Tamron built is apparently much much better than Sigma. Reason?? Be cos for Sigma,after a year or so,the glass alignment will be out & the coating will start to peep of if no proper care is taken of.. Dun believe?? Jolly well buy this 2 lens to compare... @ 1st many of us dun believe his words.. End up how??:think: :think: All regretted:bsmilie: :bsmilie: Y?? all very stubborn lor.Eventually all chose never to buy sigma again... Well,money is yours.. & choice is always yours also.. Believe or not is not my problem.. I dun gain or lose a single cent for believing in what I said.

DSC0005-01.jpg

Mr ....(Semi Pro), correct or not?? haahaa..

I was told by a semi pro.(Not to mention name) from CS also. Tamron built is apparently much much better than Sigma. Reason?? Be cos for Sigma,after a year or so,the glass alignment will be out & the coating will start to peep of if no proper care is taken of.. Dun believe?? Jolly well buy this 2 lens to compare... @ 1st many of us dun believe his words.. End up how??:think: :think: All regretted:bsmilie: :bsmilie: Y?? all very stubborn lor.Eventually all chose never to buy sigma again... Well,money is yours.. & choice is always yours also.. Believe or not is not my problem.. I dun gain or lose a single cent for believing in what I said.

Not true. I have use sigma lens for 2 yrs before selling off. The coat did not fall off as you say.

Basically I have several sigma , tamron and nikkor lens. None fall off. Proper care (to the equipment) is important.

i believe the image quality of both lens are the same. (Not much different)

i will go for Sigma because of the built quality. :)

hey i read about the coating peeling b4.
ic so this is true?:confused:
so what i proper care? nd to blow after every use?

hey i read about the coating peeling b4.
ic so this is true?:confused:
so what i proper care? nd to blow after every use?

I believe that was referred to the body-paint coating, near the tripod collar.
not the lens coating itself.. (which is much more important, imho)
;)

chey...
so both in terms of pix quality n build is bout there rite?
does any one know bout the price of the tamron?
i seach round onli got china one at 250buck.... :(

Sigma image quality is good.

but cosmetics not very good.

flaking is common with sigma lenses anyway.

tamron, af is slow. bulit wise slight better den sigma. optical. for some lenses, tamron is much better

but for the range of lens.. Sigma has proven to be a better one....

;)

Which AF is faster???

Here;s some good ref. material for you, scanned from Digital Photo magazine.. You won't go wrong with either, Tamron wins mainly because of the lower price.. Personally, I would go for the Tamron..

Untitled-Scanned-04.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-05.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-06.jpg

Well, in the May 2006 issue of Practical Photography, the picked the Sigma over the Tamron, Canon, Olympus and Nikon equivalents. If you wanna take a look at the roundup lemme know. :)

I only started buying magazines in June :bsmilie: Do scan it in to have a read if possible..

Like I said, won't go wrong with either :)

Well, in the May 2006 issue of Practical Photography, the picked the Sigma over the Tamron, Canon, Olympus and Nikon equivalents. If you wanna take a look at the roundup lemme know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.