Which 70-300mm Zoom is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Ong

Apr 15, 2004
Hi, i am using a Nikon F80. Thinking to get a 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens. Great for travel without the hassle to carry a f/2.8 version. Which one would you suggest. Perhaps those with the following lens and share their experience:

1) Nikkor 70-300 ED
2) Nikkor 70-210mm (Discontinued but avail in 2nd hand shops)
3) Nikkor 75-300mm (Discontinued but avail in 2nd hand shops)
4) Sigma 70-300 APO (with red ring)
5) Tamron 70-300 LD

Thanks for advice.

Nobody got any of the above lens?

Bernard Ong said:
Nobody got any of the above lens?
Try moving the thread to the Nikon forum. Might get more hits there.

Personally, I use the 70-300 ED and while there have been some reviews saying that there is distortion at the longer end, I find it to be negligible. And it is definitely small and light enough for travelling.

I cant comment on the others, but I own the SIGMA 70-300 APO. It is razor sharp from 70-210, from f5.6 to f16. I would not hesitate to use it wide open in this range. Here are some examples....

26059010.jpg

This is not the sharpest sample, some blur due to camera shake.

26059012.jpg

macro performance is decent

28259650.jpg

@240mm

However, the bokeh leaves alot to be desired.

25862938.jpg

@300mm f7.1 macro setting

Between 70-210 it is easily a very sharp lens. 300mm is useable, and definitely not poor. Bokeh could be better. But still, this is one heck of a lens for your money. Not sure if Nikkors are better, but they sure are more expensive. =) have fun choosing.

Marc,

Your pictures are unbelievably sharp! I can't believe it's from Sigma 70-300mm APO.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice and sharp pics!

Are these straight off the camera (ie. no post processing except for resizing?)

Thanks!

Honestly, any lens made by any decent lens maker will look sharp when resize to 800x600.... almost all, save for the TAMRON 19-35. So while u can estimate the rough sharpness, this is not really a true gauge for sharpness. You have to look at 100% crops... . And if u only view images in these sizes, or print photos no more than 4R, then.... almost any lens will suit your taste.

I'm a bit lazy to do 100% crops, but from what I see , and in comparison with the legendary Nikkor 50mm prime, the SIGMA 70-300 is indeed a sharp lens in the 70-220mm (well 270mm if u are not picky) range. I'm constantly astounded by its sharpness in the 70-150mm range near wide open apertures. Its seriously sharp, no kidding. AF is slow though, but all lens at this price is slow.

The images have been tweaked a little, but no PS trickery here. An image has to be generally good for it to look good. I cant make a unsharp image razor sharp looking.

Yeah, I agree entirely with Marc. The Sigma is hell of a sharp lens for that price. Be it based on individual views or lens test reports, that is a fabulous lens.

Unless you're shooting sports where AF speed is essential, the slow AF speed does border me. I have tried shooting the Powerboat race with it. Under cloudy sky, but pretty bright, AF speed not much of a problem provided you pre-focus first, so that the lens can focus lock quickly when you press the shutter.

Hi Bros,

How much is this lens anyway... heard so much about it... me need to get one within my budget... Budget is dirt cheap :D

Going to do my friend's ROM photoshoot next month. Is this good enough for the purpose? Currently, I'm with a Nikon D70 with the kit lens, 50mm f1.8 and SB600 flash. Which lens should I carry along? :dunno: And do I bring along my tripod???

Any kind souls willing to T-loan a telephoto lens to me for the event? :think:

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
NEWBIE Sunny :lovegrin:

sinus123 said:
Hi Bros,

How much is this lens anyway... heard so much about it... me need to get one within my budget... Budget is dirt cheap :D

Going to do my friend's ROM photoshoot next month. Is this good enough for the purpose? Currently, I'm with a Nikon D70 with the kit lens, 50mm f1.8 and SB600 flash. Which lens should I carry along? :dunno: And do I bring along my tripod???

Any kind souls willing to T-loan a telephoto lens to me for the event? :think:

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
NEWBIE Sunny :lovegrin:

If u wanna know more about shooting for ROM, do post a new topic about it. Do not deviate from the topic in this thread. I bought mine really cheap used...... you shld be able to get one ard the $250 mark used. And a tripod is useless at the ROM, save for family portraits. Now back to the topic !

Hiyee,

So sorry hor for deviating to another talk c@#k session... Will post in another thread then... :p

Thanks for the advice....

Rgds
Sunny

Status
Not open for further replies.