Which 70-300mm Lens to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi I am looking at buying a 70-300mm lens and my budget is less than $300. I am currently looking at the Nikon 70-300mm G lens and the Sigma APO MACRO SUPER II 70-300mm. Which one will be the better purchase? I have heard comments that the Sigma is better than the Nikon and is more ex. Just want to have you guys' comments on which one will be a better and worthwhile buy? Thanks..:)

aaron80 said:
Hi I am looking at buying a 70-300mm lens and my budget is less than $300. I am currently looking at the Nikon 70-300mm G lens and the Sigma APO MACRO SUPER II 70-300mm. Which one will be the better purchase? I have heard comments that the Sigma is better than the Nikon and is more ex. Just want to have you guys' comments on which one will be a better and worthwhile buy? Thanks..:)

you may also want to consider tamron 70-300mm LD Macro :)

aaron80 said:

The Nikon one has no ED while the Sigma one has APO (which is refering to things related to the ED for Nikon).

aaron80 said:

I vote for Sigma APO II it has macro features and EX equivalent to ED lens of Nikkor...vs Nikkor's 70-300 non ED

You might consider the nikkor 70-300 ED but i think the price is higher vs Sigma APO II

Maybe can ask about the image quality can produce by the 2 lens...

Many have sworn by the sigma's sharpness ... go for the sigma. You can't go wrong.

aaron80 said:
I have heard comments that the Sigma is better than the Nikon and is more ex. J

I've always thought that for the same features, Nikkor lenses are more expensive than Sigma lenses.

Anyway, most of the time, you get what you pay for.

do they still sell the APO II ? thought most shops carry the latest APO DG one ?
many said the former is much better quality than the latter..

Is the image quality improvement by the Sigma lens worth the price difference? Or its only a slight difference in the quality?

bernier said:
I vote for Sigma APO II it has macro features and EX equivalent to ED lens of Nikkor...vs Nikkor's 70-300 non ED

You might consider the nikkor 70-300 ED but i think the price is higher vs Sigma APO II

Maybe can ask about the image quality can produce by the 2 lens...

The DG is the latest? In that case, between these 3 lens, which will be a better purchase? Both performance and price-wise? Anyone knows the price for the Sigma APO II and APO DG? I know the price of the Nikon 70-300 G lens is around $240..

drazic said:
do they still sell the APO II ? thought most shops carry the latest APO DG one ?
many said the former is much better quality than the latter..

Better response if asked inside Nikon Subforum.

Sigma APO DG is specifically for use on a dSLRs (non-FF) only while e Super II can b use on both.

If I were to choose bet e 2, I'd go for e Super II. Not only e image quality is better but can also b use on both dSLRs n SLRs.

Currently latest is DG. If u r lucky u might b able to get e Super II at some shops.

Price for both is not much of a diff - ard $300+

i found a shop in Mid Valley Mall, KL selling the Nikkor 70-300G for RM360 only. tempted to buy...

I see, so the main difference between the DG and the Super II is only the DG is designed specifically for DSLRs? If the image quality of the Super II is better, I guess it will be the better purchase then..

hazta said:
Sigma APO DG is specifically for use on a dSLRs (non-FF) only while e Super II can b use on both.

If I were to choose bet e 2, I'd go for e Super II. Not only e image quality is better but can also b use on both dSLRs n SLRs.

Currently latest is DG. If u r lucky u might b able to get e Super II at some shops.

Price for both is not much of a diff - ard $300+

My understanding is that lenses designed for less than full frame DSLRs (i.e. APS sized image sensors) have a smaller image circle and is manufactured more cheaply through the use of less and cheaper (read lower quality) materials. Therefore they're lighter and cheaper.

Generally, from the reviews and user comments in forum I've read so far, these cheaper lenses produce pictures quality not as good as those older lenses designed for 35mm format.

aaron80 said:
I think I heard of this too. How much it costs?:)

a new one will cost abt 220 to 250.

some of the sample pics by the lens.

DSC_4670web.jpg

DSC_7447_editedSmall.jpg

quite a versatile lens, imo the built is better than sigma.

raptor84 said:
Umm sigma's DG just means they have special coatings designed for Digital sensors and can still be used on FF bodies. Its thier DC lenses that are designed for smaller sensor cameras only..

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/popup.asp <-- for reference.

yap, raptor is rite. :) it is unlike the Nikon DX lens which are specifically built for aps-sized ccd sensor

Thanks for the link man.. Juz read up on it..:D But I heard alot of comments from the people here that the Sigma Super II has better picture quality compared to the DG version. Maybe its becoz its specially optimised for use with the APS-sized Dslrs? If thats the case, maybe I will get the Super II. Super II is cheaper than the DG version also right?

raptor84 said:
Umm sigma's DG just means they have special coatings designed for Digital sensors and can still be used on FF bodies. Its thier DC lenses that are designed for smaller sensor cameras only..

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/popup.asp <-- for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.