Which 70-210mm?


Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
1,678
0
0
51
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi,
Just want to gather input/feedback on which lens to get..
1. 70-210mm f4 or
2. 70-210mm f3.5-4.5

The + points for item 1:
1. Great optic.. sharp
the negative side: slow focusing.. heavy heavy heavy..
(Actually I'm lazy to carry my 100mm f2.8 macro now... and this lens is heavier than the macro lens.. how to carry for normal street shooting??)

The + points for item 2:
1. Some users feedback that the picture quality is as good as item 1.. (even though there is a website test that show f4 is far superior in term of sharpness.. ??) and it's lighter..
Focusing is faster than 1 as well..
Negative side.. not as good as item 1 in term of picture quality..

Currently I think both lens cost the same in resale market.. :think:
 

zcf

Senior Member
Apr 10, 2005
6,739
0
36
270 degree of Singapore
you hasn't try 80-200mm f/2.8 or 300mm f/4 yet :sweat:

depends on you want quality of picture or convenients.
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,655
16
38
www.tomato.sg
not that heavy lar...

I will go for 70-210 f4 anytime... Proof me wrong, you go and buy the item #2 and then 6 months down the track, you will like to get the f4. Save yourself some trouble and just get the f4.

70-210 f4 is still much lighter than 28-135 f4-4.5

I walk around whole day with 28-135 f4-4.5 + 5600 hs anytime man...

Hart
 

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
1,678
0
0
51
Sengkang
Visit site
Agetan said:
not that heavy lar...

I will go for 70-210 f4 anytime... Proof me wrong, you go and buy the item #2 and then 6 months down the track, you will like to get the f4. Save yourself some trouble and just get the f4.

70-210 f4 is still much lighter than 28-135 f4-4.5

I walk around whole day with 28-135 f4-4.5 + 5600 hs anytime man...

Hart
Hart,
Thanks.. decided to bid for the f4 as well..
Needs to pump some iron now.. :) when I decided to get the 28-135 f4-4.5 or heavier lens.. will pump more iron..
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,655
16
38
www.tomato.sg
Eyesthruthelens said:
Hart,
Thanks.. decided to bid for the f4 as well..
Needs to pump some iron now.. :) when I decided to get the 28-135 f4-4.5 or heavier lens.. will pump more iron..
hahaha.. no need to pump iron, just have the passion in Photography.... when you are passionate about something, nothing will beat you...

Hart
 

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
1,678
0
0
51
Sengkang
Visit site
Agetan said:
hahaha.. no need to pump iron, just have the passion in Photography.... when you are passionate about something, nothing will beat you...

Hart
"passion in Photography.... " that's true.
Thanks again and wish you a Happy Lunar New Year...
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,655
16
38
www.tomato.sg
Eyesthruthelens said:
"passion in Photography.... " that's true.
Thanks again and wish you a Happy Lunar New Year...

Not a problem... Happy Lunar New Year...

Hart
 

GENO

Active Member
Jul 31, 2004
2,986
0
36
34
Teddy Bear Land
Eyesthruthelens said:
Hi,
Just want to gather input/feedback on which lens to get..
1. 70-210mm f4 or
2. 70-210mm f3.5-4.5

The + points for item 1:
1. Great optic.. sharp
the negative side: slow focusing.. heavy heavy heavy..
(Actually I'm lazy to carry my 100mm f2.8 macro now... and this lens is heavier than the macro lens.. how to carry for normal street shooting??)

The + points for item 2:
1. Some users feedback that the picture quality is as good as item 1.. (even though there is a website test that show f4 is far superior in term of sharpness.. ??) and it's lighter..
Focusing is faster than 1 as well..
Negative side.. not as good as item 1 in term of picture quality..

Currently I think both lens cost the same in resale market.. :think:
Get the 70-210mm f4..no horse run....yeh no horse run for sports too..chances to get good pic is almost zero in AF..haha:bsmilie:
 

AncientMariner

New Member
Dec 1, 2004
1,064
0
0
Little Red Dot
I find the KM 70-210 f4 is fast enough and have shot night soccer matches with it, handheld without flash.
Following are sequence shots of the Singapore Young Women's centreforward's scoring run in a match vs Beckenham Angels, Australia at the Jalan Besar Stadium on 17/12/05 at 7.04 p.m.
All are single shot AF, not in burst mode, i.e. single shot refocused each time.
All unprocessed except for resize for web upload.










I manage to get on the field sidelines, courtesy of arrangements with FAS by Photographers Network.
 

grado

New Member
Dec 28, 2003
947
0
0
Personally, I prefer the 70-210mm f4... Here are some samples shot in my early days of film with that lens...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2326809

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2326808


The 70-210 f3.5-4.5, i didnt have much time to use it before I sold it off, hehe! Here is also a sample snap shot, with that lens, of a model I met on the street, so pardon the messy background.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2210214
 

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
9,843
8
38
grado said:
Personally, I prefer the 70-210mm f4... Here are some samples shot in my early days of film with that lens...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2326809

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2326808


The 70-210 f3.5-4.5, i didnt have much time to use it before I sold it off, hehe! Here is also a sample snap shot, with that lens, of a model I met on the street, so pardon the messy background.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2210214
Well well ........ I am hanging to my 70-210mm F4 ........ that's for sure ...
 

grado

New Member
Dec 28, 2003
947
0
0
Zenten said:
Well well ........ I am hanging to my 70-210mm F4 ........ that's for sure ...
Yeah, me too... Its a gem.
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,655
16
38
www.tomato.sg
I don't think anyone that own this lens will ever sell it... well, even if they do, they will by it back again later..

Hart
 

Pranadewa

New Member
Jun 1, 2004
162
0
0
Hougang
Agetan said:
I don't think anyone that own this lens will ever sell it... well, even if they do, they will by it back again later..

Hart
He...he... are you talking about Sulhan?;)
 

drake336

New Member
Jan 21, 2006
856
0
0
ah... f4, the cheap big gun of all minolta users (at least it should be!) :D
 

sulhan

Senior Member
May 11, 2002
4,028
0
36
48
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hahaha...

The 70-210 f4......i sold the one i imported to DCA....and got myself another one....
The construction is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hei...come on...talking about a 10yrs ++ old technology and build like a tank..
Its one fo those die-cast type lens.....with metal mount screwed directly to screw holes
that is actually solidly part of the lens metal body. Only the zoom barrel is plastic....made by a two section casing that covers the main flex cable zoom position encoders...

I think...users should start pushing raise the price of these metal bodied lens.....
Imageing you are paying $300++ for a metal build-like-a-tank 70-210f4 with great optics and pay $500++ for a used 17-35 which is "lots-of-plastic"....

I think if one looks at the overall lens ceonstruction...it should worth more...:cool:
 

grado

New Member
Dec 28, 2003
947
0
0
sulhan said:
Hahaha...

The 70-210 f4......i sold the one i imported to DCA....and got myself another one....
The construction is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hei...come on...talking about a 10yrs ++ old technology and build like a tank..
Its one fo those die-cast type lens.....with metal mount screwed directly to screw holes
that is actually solidly part of the lens metal body. Only the zoom barrel is plastic....made by a two section casing that covers the main flex cable zoom position encoders...

I think...users should start pushing raise the price of these metal bodied lens.....
Imageing you are paying $300++ for a metal build-like-a-tank 70-210f4 with great optics and pay $500++ for a used 17-35 which is "lots-of-plastic"....

I think if one looks at the overall lens ceonstruction...it should worth more...:cool:
Shh... Dun tell anyone its actually worth more than it is selling, haha! I got mine in excellent condition from a Clubsnapper before Minolta came out with a DSLR for less than $180!
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,655
16
38
www.tomato.sg
hahaha... I think 70-210 f4 is underrated in most case...

for image quality it can be up against 70-210 f4 L canon... of course, the AF speed is no where to compare. But price wise... its a huge different...

I think it definately worth more than $350.... hahahaa..

Hart
 

drake336

New Member
Jan 21, 2006
856
0
0
Hey, anyone remembers the 24-50mm f4 that was in the same series as the beer can. Yap, it was another of those cheap and sharp glass which I shot most of my film with...

Sadly, it more plasticky than its 70-210mm counterpart and now my focusing ring is jammed :(

Even more sadly, digital crop factor has reduced it to a useless 36-75mm :cry:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.