Which 70-200mm

DjSnap

Feb 9, 2011
Looking to invest into my first L lens but don know which 70-200mm and I have the budget to buy F4 Is or F2.8 non IS which to buy

Looking to invest into my first L lens but don know which 70-200mm and I have the budget to buy F4 Is or F2.8 non IS which to buy

Next time, since your question is specific to Canon, please post in the Canon section, not the generic Newbies Corner.

Not enough information here. You need to tell us:

1) What type of photography are you into?
2) Environment that you will most be in when using that lens.
3) What is your other setup? Flash, tripod, monopod, etc.

Please take note of the following too:

1) weigh of the lens, and
2) Size of the lens

for indoor shooting/low lighting shooting, it's best to use a f2.8.

If you use it mostly for outdoor, I will save the money by getting a F4 non-IS instead and it is lighter.

Last edited:
I am into landscapes/event and street
Flash is a must for me but no monopod or tripod
Mayer event shoot or normal street that I will use this
Weight and size does not matter
Right now in a dilemma

I am into landscapes/event and street
Flash is a must for me but no monopod or tripod
Mayer event shoot or normal street that I will use this
Weight and size does not matter
Right now in a dilemma

For landscape photography, would suggest that u get yourself a tripod too.

Anyway, like what others had said, for outdoor photography when there are abundance of light (natural or otherwise), F4 will be enough. However if you are shooting indoors that lighting are not that abundance or when needing to shoot in low light condition, then f2.8.

Actually whether or not IS is required is up to you and your shooting techniques. I personally find that I can go without IS for as long as my shutter speed was not below 1/20 at 200mm range.

On a personal note, if I can choose again (I got the f4 version), I would definitely go for the 70-200mm f2.8L non IS and add a monopod if necessary.

I have a tripod which I usually take out and I have a tamron 18-250 without IS so i tink 2.8 would be good when I shoot low light and upgrade to IS when I have the
Money?Shud I do that

I have a tripod which I usually take out and I have a tamron 18-250 without IS so i tink 2.8 would be good when I shoot low light and upgrade to IS when I have the
Money?Shud I do that

If you shoot in low light, I think it is much cheaper for you to invest in a tripod than you get all lens with IS :)

Money?Shud I do that

That should be fine. I really regret not getting the f2.8, because at that time I was thinking that IS is so so so important. But later on, I find that I can actually handle without IS. And if the lighting are too dim and my shutter speed was too slow, even with the IS, it would not do much help.

In my case, I would rather have my monopod, it is more flexible and quicker to setup than my tripod. I only use my tripod when I am taking very long exposure, all the other can be accomplish with my monopod.

save more to buy f2.8 IS.. :)

personally i will go for f4 if budget is an issue. but will go for f2.8 if budget not an issue. i will go for non IS version because i don't need it (my preference is f4).

Think the F2.8 is good enuf,IS is not important with or withou is okay cause I used to non IS lens

well since i got steady hands so no need IS

I think it's better to handle one such lens before concluding that u do not need IS. 1.4kg is not something easy to handle while focusing and framing. And not to forget how long you are using it in one shooting session. It can be very hard to have steady hands after holding it ard for hours...

but based on some reviews on the internet ,IS picture is not sharper than non iS