Which 5MP Camera to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyyde

Oct 3, 2002
Malaysia
www.techgamer.com
currently I owned the old Ixus 330 2MP, but I find that I can't cropped the picture much and 2MP is not enough for me anymore.... thus was looking at 5MP camera now... the question is, which one should I get?

was looking at the Canon G5 and learn that there's something called chromatic abberration (purple fringing), it seems that it occurs for all camera above 4MP? is it true?

anyway, which camera will u all recommend for 5MP? Nikon coolpix 5400? Canon G5? or any other brand?

budget maybe around S$1500-S$2000.

also, I notice that Canon G5 doesn't focus that well... as in the image doesn't seems to be sharp compare to others.... what do u all think?

Based on dpreview, and my experience with Canon digicams.....

I wouldnt hesitate to consider a G5 as the most probable 5 mp cam I would purchase. Have a look at the reviews.

2K budget? CP5700 or Dimage 7hi.

Originally posted by Glyyde
currently I owned the old Ixus 330 2MP, but I find that I can't cropped the picture much and 2MP is not enough for me anymore.... thus was looking at 5MP camera now... the question is, which one should I get?

was looking at the Canon G5 and learn that there's something called chromatic abberration (purple fringing), it seems that it occurs for all camera above 4MP? is it true?

anyway, which camera will u all recommend for 5MP? Nikon coolpix 5400? Canon G5? or any other brand?

budget maybe around S$1500-S$2000.

also, I notice that Canon G5 doesn't focus that well... as in the image doesn't seems to be sharp compare to others.... what do u all think?

Get a Sony 717 with 256 memory pro stick - $1500

very good 5MP digi cam :thumbsup:

:vhappy:

Look at what are the limitations, features missing in your current camera that irks you most.

Then consider the features of the crop of 5MP cameras and see which suits you better. There is no one who can make that decision for you.

With that budget, take a look at the Nikon Coolpix 5700, Minolta 7Hi or the Sony F717. Pick the one that best suits your needs :thumbsup: Start with brochures or the product webpages, then move on to detailed reviews such as those in www.dpreview.com, etc.

Not true about chromatic abberration being inherent in all cameras > 4 MP.

DPReview did mention that pictures from Canon cameras tend to be a bit soft - however it does not seem to consider that as an inherent disadvantage.

Sony one seems a little too big size for my liking....

Minolta.... got not much trust in them... saw a few of my friends Minolta's pic.... not that nice....and according to reviews... the noise in it is worse than other 5MP camera.....

what's the difference between 5700 and 5400?

There's a new Sony model right, also 5mp with hotshoe but with a more traditional (SLR-like) form factor...saw it in the Sony brochure i think...

I would recommend Olympus C5050.... 5Mp... Very fast lens, F1.8 (The only f1.8)..... Cost around $1300... and u can use the remaining money to stock up on adapter, wide angle, tele lens. My friend even got the underwater casing... Battery used is AA, just buy rechargable AA (AA battery is definitely cheaper than Nikon battery) :cool:

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by kim
I would recommend Olympus C5050.... 5Mp... Very fast lens, F1.8 (The only f1.8)..... Cost around $1300... and u can use the remaining money to stock up on adapter, wide angle, tele lens. My friend even got the underwater casing... Battery used is AA, just buy rechargable AA (AA battery is definitely cheaper than Nikon battery) :cool:

Originally posted by kim

hmm ... most of the 5 megapixel dc like Canon G5, Olympus C5050, Nikon Coolpix 5400, Nikon Coolpix 5700, Minolta 7Hi or the Sony F717 are very good cameras that able to produce sharp images. You will not go wrong with any of them.

As for me , I will choose Canon G5 becoz' it can share some of the canon accessories like CF card, flash , battery & battery charger.

although it's slightly "aged" amongst the G5, etc, it's still a very good 5MP consumer DC. :heart:

if you ever think of going underwater, go with the 5050. hands down winner - CompactFlash, and SmartMedia support, uses AA batteries, tiltable LCD... and of course, the f/1.8 lens.

but for the G5, it also has a f/2.0-3.0 lens, which is larger than the oly 5050 at the tele end. the battery used should be a BP511 lithium type, so it can tahan quite a long time.

but both cameras have the same problem - you switch it on, the lenses will "grow" out of the body. ever imagined beheading a camera? :bsmilie:

looked through the Sony F717, I must say the image quality seems to be one of the best for 5MP cam..... hm... I tot Sony doens't produce good pic.... like their consumer camera....

Is there any Sony user here? how does the camera perform? good? any comments?

what is the price for memory stick now?

speaking of sony, it reminds me of something someone once told me - canon makes their own lenses, nikon makes its own nikkor lenses, leica also has made theirs for a long long time now. but sony does not make lenses, only video camera lenses.

after thinking, though carl zeiss lenses sound good, they still aren't built by the camera's own designers. :dunno:

looked through the Sony F717, I must say the image quality seems to be one of the best for 5MP cam..... hm... I tot Sony doens't produce good pic.... like their consumer camera....

of cos Sony 717 is very good

it uses the best lens in the market right now

u'll never go wrong with a SONY...

it's a SONY

I find the camera pretty good though as you said bulky but once you get used to it, you won't mind the size. One of the features I like about the Sony F717 is the zoom ring. You can actually adjust the zoom by the ring at the len barrel although there are still zoom in/out buttons on the side of the len barrel. The hologram AF assist is good :) The 5X Optical zoom is also nice but it will be even better if it could be 8X like the nikon 5700 (greedy am i ? ;p ) The lens thread is 58mm which you can easily find filters, telephotos/wide angel convertors to directly attach onto it (doesn't required any lens adapter). The sony telephoto convertor is also of high quality except that it is rather heavy, almost the weight of the F717 itself. Battery life for F717 is good. Can last me for about 2 to 3 hrs of using the EVF.
However memory sticks are rather expensive..
128mb should cost above $100 (Original Sony brand), third party 128mb around $90+.
It also can use memory stick pro which cost above $200 for a 256mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.