Which 500mm Zoom or Tele would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress

Sep 5, 2006
Can anyone help to recommend any good, sharp 500mm Tele or zoom?
My budget is around S$1,500.

I've some options:
1) Get a used M42/Nikon mount 500mm Mirror (Don't know whether is it sharp?) Anyone used one before care to share your experience?
2) Looking at sigma 170-500mm non DG? Any comments on this lens? read many reviews but are very mixed? Is there a major diff between non-DG and DG? some reviews said DG is better?
3) Sigma 50-500mm, review showed that this is a much better lens but it's out of my budget?

My objective is to own a 500mm lens that's reasonably sharp and if I can save $$$ on the lens like buying a M42 mount lens, that would be preferred.

Please let me know you recommendations......and experiences if you have used any of the lens.

Thank you

Looking at your budget, I would prolly go with a used Sigma 50-500mm or a Tamron 200-500mm. These two superzooms have decent optics and will be much better than a mirror lens. For price to performance ratio, they can't be beat. You have to stretch your budget by a couple hundred dollars more though.

No comment on the Sigma 170-500mm as I do not have experience with that lens.

Thank bro.....

sigma 50-500mm :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

I'm currently doing some research on 50-500mm sigma lens and figuring out which 1.4X tele- converter I should buy to use with this Sigma lens and at the same time can be used with my Nikon 300mm F4.

I'm currently doing some research on 50-500mm sigma lens and figuring out which 1.4X tele- converter I should buy to use with this Sigma lens and at the same time can be used with my Nikon 300mm F4.
You can try the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC. About $250-$270 if I'm not mistaken.

nt very sure, but i think sigma lens have to use back sigma own TC... :dunno:
kenko tc is about $240, i got mine 2x at that price. :thumbsup:

How abt a 1.7TC with your 300mm f/4 ? Using the Nikon TC 1.7TC with the 300mm AFS f/4 and getting reasonable results. ;)

Wanna own a 500mm lor.....I already got a 2X tele converter and want to complete my lens collection. Sad thing is that my lenses are all sitting in the dry-cabi fully under utilise. Every nite will kneel in front of the dry-cabi and worship the cam & lenses.....:eek: :sweat: :lovegrin:

Wanna own a 500mm lor.....I already got a 2X tele converter and want to complete my lens collection. Sad thing is that my lenses are all sitting in the dry-cabi fully under utilise. Every nite will kneel in front of the dry-cabi and worship the cam & lenses.....:eek: :sweat: :lovegrin:
Hahahaa sounds familiar. I got a mini canon camera and lens museum at home too. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.