Which 5 megapixel camera to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windylim

Sep 1, 2003
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 5 mega-pixel prosumer camera (but I'm an amateur photographer who want to learn), but can't decide which one. I'm considering the Nikon 5700, Sony F717 and Canon G5. I'm upgrading from Olympus C3040Z, and while the 3040Z gave me great pictures, I hate the slow startup and poor battery life, and better zoom would've been great. I've made the following considerations:

Sony F717:
+ great startup speed
+ great battery
+ excellent image quality
+ seems to have lots of nice features - histogram, infrared etc
- huge barrel / cumbersome
- hate the memory stick which is so expensive (I prefer CF)
- 'only' 5x zoom compared to 5700 or Dimage
- no support for raw format

Canon G5:
+ support for raw format
+ (?) alot of hype about the canon digic chip -> not sure if this really means anything or just advertisement crap.
+ better footprint (size) compared to Sony F717
+ support for CF (which is much cheaper than MS)
- Heard that there is some distortion or chromatic abberation (purple outline)
- limited zoom
? not sure abt the quality of picture -> any advise?

Nikon 5700:
+ Better zoom
+ quality is supposed to be quite good
+ smaller footprint than Sony F717
- apparently slower startup time (but I'm not sure how much slower)
- Some distortions, I heard

I'll like to hear from real owners of these 3 cameras, as to what they like and dislike about these cameras. Any other advise too will be appreciated.

Once again, I'm just a newbie, so I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Take a look at the Nikon forum about discussion about the 5700.

You might want to consider the Minolta A1 when it comes out, although I think it will be very expensive with its IS CCD feature.

ppl will call me biased,

but as a current user of g5 (g3)

i'd say pic quality is better than 5700...

ppl claim its becoz of the lesser zoom...

http://kazutoku.maxs.jp/G5/G5-4/g5vse5700.htm
g5 on the left, 5700 on the right
without anyone influencing ur decision, see which one is better....

http://kazutoku.maxs.jp/G5/500mil/index.htm
more pics of 5700vs g5.. this one compares white balance...
g5 is supposed to have an improved white balance over the g3 to give more "natural" colours... see the link to see which one u like better lah...

5700 also supposed to have better lens (ED) but i'd rather the "inferior" lens if it gives me more detail...

user interface is also very very quick!!(quite impt to me)
a BIG step up from G2 and before days... and even it was quite good...

price is also good...

ultimately, its up to u... see the comparison pics, and best still go and handle the camera...

IMHO i think coolpix looks cooler and feels cooler to handle...
but im more used to g5
regards

The cameras listed have been discussed many times before in the forum.

Perhaps reading past threads will be helpful to you.

:)

Maybe you should wait for the following new camera :

Fujifilm FinePix S7000 Z
6x zoom
6 megapixel

Sony DSC-F828
7x zoom
8 megapixel

Minolta DiMAGE A1
7x zoom
5 megapixel

Canon EOS-300D
depend on lens
6 megapixel

sprockett said:
http://kazutoku.maxs.jp/G5/G5-4/g5vse5700.htm
g5 on the left, 5700 on the right
without anyone influencing ur decision, see which one is better....

I can't read Jap nor am I a user of the G5 or the CP5700, but I don't suppose the link showing the comparison between the G5 vs CP5700 provides information like JPEG compression setting, metering, white balance mode,etc.

Offhand, comparing the two pics, I would say that the CP5700 appeared to be using a higher JPEG compression setting. This would explain for the poorer detail that is evident e.g. in the leaves of the tree. If the user was using a lower JPEG compression setting on the CP5700, the story may be different.

Also, the pics don't show comparisons in different lighting conditions. If I'm not wrong, the G5 loses out to the 5700 in terms of noise.

Moral of story is: basing judgement on one or two pictures is highly dangerous. No offense intended sprockett, just want to highlight a different user perspective :)

Can I be biased? :) Heehee.

Things I like/don't like about the 5mp you've listed, just my personal preference.

Sony F717
+ 2nd longest battery life in the market
+ good night shot support
- expensive Sony Memory Stick
- Long lens barrel
- hard to find dedicated Sony flash

G5
- no EVF
- VF blocked by lens barrel
- High noise level above ISO 100
- lens adapter blocks internal flash
+ Longest battery life in the market
+ able to use EX Flashes
+ uses CF

Nikon CP5700
- Low battery life without battery pack (MB-E5700, 6 x AA)
- unable to add filters without bernie adapters
+ able to use Nikon flashes
+ uses CF

Minolta 7hi
- Yellowish EVF
+ 4 x AA
+ uses CF
+ manual zoom ring

Me? Am just a CP5700 user, no complains whatsoever, I've already overcomed the 2 -ve I have up mentioned with the battery pack and adaptor. Call me biased, but if I can't choose it again, and I have to pick from the other three I've listed, I will choose 7hi. I've touched it, played with it, and I think it's very easy to operate.

I won't choose G5 until Canon fixes the barrel blocking the VF problem, they just seem to ignore it, and not place an EVF in the VF. I do like the battery power though, lasts very long.

I won't choose F717 for it's storage is far too expensive. The Sony F828 looks good for it's CF storage but the Canon 300D's price is more alluring and tempting then the F828.

just a note on the bad battery life of the 3040. Are you using high capacity NiMH like Sanyo 2100mAH and charge them properly? The camera should last very very long with these.....

Hmm.. my C3020 last pretty long with the Sanyo 2100mah batts, not fantastic, but enough to last me over 150 shots depending on how long I use the LCD. How bad is your battery life?

Anyway, it'll be good to wait a while and see how good the Canon 300D is. It's a dslr so great for learning, plus at under $2k it'll probably beat all the other prosumers in terms of image quality. The stock lens won't give u great zoom, but u can always add on a tele zoom later when budget allows.. not to mention usable ISO 800 and 1600.. :)

cyke said:
I can't read Jap nor am I a user of the G5 or the CP5700, but I don't suppose the link showing the comparison between the G5 vs CP5700 provides information like JPEG compression setting, metering, white balance mode,etc.

Offhand, comparing the two pics, I would say that the CP5700 appeared to be using a higher JPEG compression setting. This would explain for the poorer detail that is evident e.g. in the leaves of the tree. If the user was using a lower JPEG compression setting on the CP5700, the story may be different.

Also, the pics don't show comparisons in different lighting conditions. If I'm not wrong, the G5 loses out to the 5700 in terms of noise.

Moral of story is: basing judgement on one or two pictures is highly dangerous. No offense intended sprockett, just want to highlight a different user perspective :)

I agree with you

like i mentioned in another thread in reply to someone else (maybe the same guy).

The G5 is 35mm-140mm
The 5700 is 35mm-280 mm

for normal SLR cameras if a 28-300mm lens gave nearly the same image quality as a 28-105mm lens, that would be a great accomplishment. Which is what is apparently the case here - the 5700 is only marginally worse than the G5.

If this is the case, and considering the fact that you can't change lenses, the 5700 seems to be a far better choice.

G5 users have to buy an image-degrading 2x converter just to cover 5700s normal range. What happens to the G5 quality compared to the 5700 then? I would say no contest.

Then theres the noise and CA. Must be due to DIGIC(TM)

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

To the guys who asked abt my comment on poor battery life of 3040z, I have to admit I did not use 2100 rechargeable batteries. I was using 1600. Maybe I should've used a higher grade battery then. :)

I would choose the Sony 717/828 or Minolta 7Hi/A1 because it's easy to add screw-on filters, either a UV for permanent lens protection or a polariser filter to remove reflections or deepen sky blue. These two cameras, in addition to the Nikon 5700, also uses a bigger 2/3 sized sensor. The G5 is in the same class as the C5050z and Nikon 5400, using the smaller 1/1.8 sized sensor.

If you can wait, I would say go for the Minolta A1, which offers much better battery life over the 7Hi, tiltable LCD screen for waist level shots, much improved EVF, AntiShake for sharper lowlight shots with less handshake blur, better build quality and handling, etc. It shouuld be out this month, but will be quite expensive as it's new.

If you can't wait, then the 717 would seem to be the current best choice.

All in my personal subjective opinion, of course.

windylim said:
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 5 mega-pixel prosumer camera (but I'm an amateur photographer who want to learn), but can't decide which one. I'm considering the Nikon 5700, Sony F717 and Canon G5. I'm upgrading from Olympus C3040Z, and while the 3040Z gave me great pictures, I hate the slow startup and poor battery life, and better zoom would've been great. I've made the following considerations:

Once again, I'm just a newbie, so I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Hi, as you might have known, this one compares Sony717, Nikon5700 and Minolta7HI side by side ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/ ), more informative i think.

For me, i choose Sony for its good and fast lens, robust functions and, most importantly, colour neutrality (esp. compared to Nikon 5700). Well, just my opinion only.

Thanks! I think I'm inclined more towards the Sony F717 after reading this review. I read that there were some focus problems with earlier batches. Is this now fixed?

cheersjy said:
Hi, as you might have known, this one compares Sony717, Nikon5700 and Minolta7HI side by side ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/ ), more informative i think.

For me, i choose Sony for its good and fast lens, robust functions and, most importantly, colour neutrality (esp. compared to Nikon 5700). Well, just my opinion only.

I think the focusing problem only appears on the very early batch of 717, and only limited to hologram (laser-assist) AF. For the serial number of those affected and more detail, take a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02103002sonycaf717.asp

With the launching of 828 and canon 300D, i can foresee the price of 717 drop further in 2nd hand market. Hmm... maybe i am the odd one out here but, although many complain that 717 is bulky and ugly, i always consider its look and design soooo very cool. Really love at first sight! But well, that's just me :lovegrin:

cheersjy said:
I think the focusing problem only appears on the very early batch of 717, and only limited to hologram (laser-assist) AF. For the serial number of those affected and more detail, take a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02103002sonycaf717.asp

With the launching of 828 and canon 300D, i can foresee the price of 717 drop further in 2nd hand market. Hmm... maybe i am the odd one out here but, although many complain that 717 is bulky and ugly, i always consider its look and design soooo very cool. Really love at first sight! But well, that's just me :lovegrin:
Me too, love at first sign, but very heavy when add on the sony wide lens.

Buy buy buy!!! :D

Then start shooting and post shots :D

megaweb said:
Maybe you should wait for the following new camera :

Fujifilm FinePix S7000 Z
6x zoom
6 megapixel

Sony DSC-F828
7x zoom
8 megapixel

Minolta DiMAGE A1
7x zoom
5 megapixel
Yup, me waiting for the 3 camera mentioned.

But not sure if Nikon will come up with something to replace the CP5700?
I like the swivel LCD feature of the CP5700, the 3 cameras manetioned do not seem to have that feature...

Went to Singapore Comex exhibition to look at Nikon 5700 and Sony F717. Liked the F717 so much that I gave in to temptation and bought it in a shop in Sim Lim Square! The Nikon 5700 looks like a very good camera too, but my left hand felt very 'crammed' or awkward when holding it, and the controls/buttons are all very confusing and all over the place. Sony on the other hand was very nice to hold, controls were very intuitive, and I could add lenses to it.

I got the camera at SGD 1326 (including 4% gst)... anyone know if I got a good price or not? Ya, I know it's already too late to be asking this, but what the heck. :)

Once again, thanks for all those guys above for giving me advice!

espn said:
Buy buy buy!!! :D

Then start shooting and post shots :D

Status
Not open for further replies.