Whether to jump ship to DSLR ??


Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Tan

New Member
Aug 24, 2005
45
0
0
Upper Thomson
#1
Currently I am a Film SLR user and is still confuse of whether should I invest and move to DSLR. I am using a F4 and F801s and is thinking of D70s. Could anyone care to advise. Thanks.
 

Henry Tan

New Member
Aug 24, 2005
45
0
0
Upper Thomson
#4
I am not sure how a film person will adapt to Digital way. I've heard people saying that those who are on film have difficulty in adapting to using DSLR, because of quality.
 

#5
Henry Tan said:
I am not sure how a film person will adapt to Digital way. I've heard people saying that those who are on film have difficulty in adapting to using DSLR, because of quality.
Is photography only about Blowing out enlarged images with high quality prints..?
or about conveying a message of the photographer?


So its up to your own perception whether Digital suits you better or Film.

Both digital and film has their own advantages and disadvantages today... Choose whatever that suits you. Older generation of PhotoG's might prefer film, where younger generation PhotoG's today would prefer Digital.

Anyway neither film nor digital will make a brilliant photographer out of someone who is the visual equivalent of tone deaf.
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#6
Henry Tan said:
Currently I am a Film SLR user and is still confuse of whether should I invest and move to DSLR. I am using a F4 and F801s and is thinking of D70s. Could anyone care to advise. Thanks.
If you keep a film body, you can venture into digital photography without "jumping ship". Unless you use your cameras to make a living and can beat depreciation, a dSLR is likely a very poor investment money-wise.
 

litefoot

New Member
Jan 27, 2005
888
0
0
#7
Cons (against film)

1. Small viewfinder
2. You keep to one type of film for 36 frames
3. Long tedious post processing (in darkroom)
4. Limited range (eg. 2-3 stops between highlights/shadows)

Pros

1. LCD Preview
2. Variable ASA, different temp through WB
3. Improved post processing (through DI)
4. Incredible range (eg. up to 5 stops with DI)

Me, I am sticking to digital. It still has an unlimted "upside" potential.
 

Chiang

New Member
Feb 17, 2005
153
0
0
Bedok
#8
how abt battery life , is it a factor to consider ? , I learn that for the DSLR battery life is short
 

billpepsi

New Member
Jan 2, 2005
1,269
0
0
The 3rd Rock
#9
Chiang said:
how abt battery life , is it a factor to consider ? , I learn that for the DSLR battery life is short
If battery is an issue, consider D70. According to the manual, a full charged battery can capture 2000+ frames. So far, during my last Taiwan trip, I've tested 1000+ with one single battery, b'cos run out of CF cards.
 

billpepsi

New Member
Jan 2, 2005
1,269
0
0
The 3rd Rock
#10
Henry Tan said:
Currently I am a Film SLR user and is still confuse of whether should I invest and move to DSLR. I am using a F4 and F801s and is thinking of D70s. Could anyone care to advise. Thanks.
If have the budget set a side for a new/2nd hand DSLR, I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship. Keep your flim SLR for other purpose. Though most DSLR may not be a perfect camera (ie. battery issue, not full frame, short product life cycle etc....), what the heck, just go out there buy one and end of story.

IMHO, I'm more concern about getting good pictures than the limitation of the camera. 350D, D70s or D50 would be a good DSLR to start with.
 

WKK

New Member
Aug 10, 2005
435
0
0
www.pbase.com
#12
Henry Tan said:
Currently I am a Film SLR user and is still confuse of whether should I invest and move to DSLR. I am using a F4 and F801s and is thinking of D70s. Could anyone care to advise. Thanks.
I actually started out with DSLR, but after using FM2, I realised the beauty of Film Camera.... I got really good photo and the color turn out better than Digital.

But of course DSLR have it advantage on Cost -
Cost of Film ( per roll of 36 ) versue a CF card 1 GB with at least a thousand images ?

On the other side, DSLR with a APS size sensor as compare to 35mm unless you got yourself a full Frame DSLR. In fact, I am saving to get a F80 and try to learn using Film...

My 20 cents - keep your film camera ... buy a middle range DSLR to try out. Not happy, sell it away later... but I think unlikely as you will grow to like DSLR as well...
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#13
WKK said:
I actually started out with DSLR, but after using FM2, I realised the beauty of Film Camera.... I got really good photo and the color turn out better than Digital.
i would say it depends on what kind of film you shoot, negs or slides?

I came from over a decade of films use and my Film camera is sitting in my dry cabi.

Nothing beats the instant gratification of the preview
Just need to think different when using digital as it is a totally different medium
 

WKK

New Member
Aug 10, 2005
435
0
0
www.pbase.com
#14
ortega said:
i would say it depends on what kind of film you shoot, negs or slides?

I came from over a decade of films use and my Film camera is sitting in my dry cabi.

Nothing beats the instant gratification of the preview
Just need to think different when using digital as it is a totally different medium
I bought a Fujifilm ISO 200 and brought it to Sungei Ringgit in JB where I took a few shot to tried out, and took some pics back home. I am impressed with 35mm camera where there is no crop factor as in DSLR. I used my Tamron 17-35mm on both D70 and FM2.

May you right as well cos it depend who is the one developing your film... I guess. And I truly agree that digital is total different medium and instand preview of what you shoot and not happy with it, re-shoot on the spot. :thumbsup:
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#15
if you are shooting negs then of course it is easier
you just need to go to an experienced D&P shop to have your shots printed.
They will do all the post processing and tune your shot to get a good print.

try slides and you will be more impressed with the pictures.
down side of digital is the crop factor on my 17mm
I am happy with the crop factor on my teles and macro lenses. :)
 

#16
WKK said:
My 20 cents - keep your film camera ... buy a middle range DSLR to try out. Not happy, sell it away later... but I think unlikely as you will grow to like DSLR as well...
Geezez Krist!
Never buy an electronic device with just the intention of trying it out and to sell if you're unhappy with it. Unless you have too much extra money...

The costs of DSLRs dont come cheap, and if you resell after using it for like a month, you're going to lose tons of money. If you are not sure, try to loan out some cameras... sometimes you can borrow cameras from Canon and Nikon by joining their organized events.
 

WKK

New Member
Aug 10, 2005
435
0
0
www.pbase.com
#17
ortega said:
if you are shooting negs then of course it is easier
you just need to go to an experienced D&P shop to have your shots printed.
They will do all the post processing and tune your shot to get a good print.

try slides and you will be more impressed with the pictures.
down side of digital is the crop factor on my 17mm
I am happy with the crop factor on my teles and macro lenses. :)

Yep, I am trying out Color Slide soon with the FM2. I bought A FujiChrome Velvia ISO 50...
Keep my finger cross... my skill is not that good... :thumbsup:

For me I am happy with my D70 except the Crop factor... hope Nikon will come out with 1 FF DSLR, as Canon already had done it before them... ( No offence to Nikon or Canon user... personal opinion only ) :sweat:
 

Henry Tan

New Member
Aug 24, 2005
45
0
0
Upper Thomson
#18
Thank you for all your reply. I've another questions, do you advice I buy the D70s kit set or just the camera body as I already have the Nikor 28-80mm lense. But the problem is with a factor of x1.5 I am not able to get the wide-angle view. What lens can I get for a wide angle for the DSLR, and is it expensive ?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom