Where's my pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six-GHz

Nov 29, 2006
Can anyone help me in the transfering of edited photos from the computer back to the camera? I know it sounds silly, but I never had problems with my previous cameras.

After uploading my pics from the cam to the PictureProject on my computer, I did some touch-ups. Then I deleted the pics from my cam and copy & paste the edited photos back to G drive. But when I tried to view it from the cam, it said no image data.

So I plug in the cable again, and the PP prompted me to transfer the pics. So I tried again. True enough, the edited pics went into my computer again. But still I can't view it from my cam.

Is there anything wrong or have I missed some steps? Pse advise, thanks!

Maybe you want to upload your photos to your memory card via card reader and put it back into the camera? Hmm, not sure if the edited photos will affect the upload though.

Maybe you want to upload your photos to your memory card via card reader and put it back into the camera? Hmm, not sure if the edited photos will affect the upload though.

If I can upload pics from cam to com, I should also be able to transfer pics from com to cam right? The thing is, the pics are in my cam but it doesn't show. Duh, where have the images gone to? My lens!?

Well, like I said, this is the first time I had this problem... scratch head!

If I can upload pics from cam to com, I should also be able to transfer pics from com to cam right? The thing is, the pics are in my cam but it doesn't show. Duh, where have the images gone to? My lens!?

Well, like I said, this is the first time I had this problem... scratch head!

Check that you have placed the pictures in the correct folder of the memory card.

Check that you have placed the pictures in the correct folder of the memory card.

Yes, double check that... cos I'm still on default folder!

maybe you can tell us what camera are you using... may be firmware problem or just the format/attribute of the files :dunno:

maybe you can tell us what camera are you using... may be firmware problem or just the format/attribute of the files :dunno:

I'm using D40, Sandisk Ultra.

Now the best thing - I went down to a Kodak shop and asked if my pics can be seen from the viewer. Yep, they're there alright. The shopkeeper also don't understand why my cam doesn't reflect any.

My next issue - what if they're hidden/embedded somewhere in the SD card? I can't view them, but everytime I upload my subsequent batches of pics, they get download into the computer too? I can't be reformatting it everytime right?

Gosh... this is only a D40. If I can't get this right, I may never have to upgrade! :cry:

Anyone can help?

Did you apply any compression/re-sampling to the processed pictures?

Tried doing that on my Pana FZ-5 before, the picture didn't show on the cam's preview screen as it was compressed.

You sure you placed them in the DCIM subfolder? or you just copy into the G Drive itself? If it is not in the DCIM subfolder, it cannot be viewed if i am not wrong.

You sure you placed them in the DCIM subfolder? or you just copy into the G Drive itself? If it is not in the DCIM subfolder, it cannot be viewed if i am not wrong.

Did you apply any compression/re-sampling to the processed pictures?
Tried doing that on my Pana FZ-5 before, the picture didn't show on the cam's preview screen as it was compressed.

Yes, it's in the right folder... it's default anyway!

What I've somehow narrow down is that I have done some touch-ups like cropping and sharpening in the computer. And I've also protected it. So while I'm figuring the whole issue out, I went to Retouch Menu, where it showed me a black box with a red cross in the middle, and it showed me that "you can't delete a protected file".

Sheesh! This is getting complicated. Anyway to delete them off without reformatting?

The saga continues!

what's the storage card that you are using? try it on another card and see if it still happens.

you can also try to reformat the card using the camera before copying back the files from the computer.

:rolleyes:

what's the storage card that you are using? try it on another card and see if it still happens.
you can also try to reformat the card using the camera before copying back the files from the computer.:rolleyes:

I'm using Sandisk. Well, the freak thing was that there are some pics I can view and some cannot. Those I'm able to see, I can unlock them and delete. Settled. But the others who's showing me all black with a small red cross in the centre are those I cannot delete, cos it shows "No Image Data".

Are you all confused yet? Sorry, but that's what's happening!

Perhaps those are the thumbnail files. And the actual files have been deleted. Thus having the "No Image Data" Message? :dunno:

I experienced this way back, I think when a photo has been modified outside the camera and you attempt to copy it back even to the same folder and view from the camera itself .. it's not possible.

You can try re-copying 2 images, one in original state and one with modifications from computer. Try viewing both from the cam and see which photo shows :).

I experienced this way back, I think when a photo has been modified outside the camera and you attempt to copy it back even to the same folder and view from the camera itself .. it's not possible.

You can try re-copying 2 images, one in original state and one with modifications from computer. Try viewing both from the cam and see which photo shows :).

Hi, thanks for the advice. I spent the day retracing and figuring what happened. Yes, likely it's due to the modified pics. When I did some modifications to the pics in my camera, it was saved as CSC_xxx.JPG, whereas the originals were under DSC_xxx.JPG.

When they're in my computer, I might have further modified the CSC files. When I upload them back to my camera, it may already be something unrecognisable by the camera. And since I protected (locked) it in the computer, the camera would be unable to delete them.

When I tried uploading modified and unlocked DSC files from computer to camera. It worked like it should! So maybe that's where the missing link is.

Thanks again bro. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.