Where's my Char Siew???

kriegsketten

Apr 7, 2010
Southern Enclave
I used to remember our zhi chars' fried rice, fried HK noodles and vermiceli came with geniune red-tainted pork meat (looked like Char Siew)... But these days, the stores in my neighbourhood offered "fake" meat in the abovementioned dishes - tasted much like the "char siews" offered by the vegetarian food vendors...

Are all the fried rice and noodles offered by zhi chars in your neighbourhood doing the same thing?? :confused:

Man I feel so ripped off... Never going to order those dishes again... :cry:

Last edited:
haha i also got the mock charsiew... dunno what happen lol. maybe can keep longer or something?

You too?! Dangit... this sounds like a conspiracy... :angry: I think I'll just stick to the usual hor fun / huat-tan bee-hoon from now on... At least real meat there...

You really don't get what you paid for in the fried rice / noodles... Plus it tastes strange... Mouth full of starch... no meaty fibres... like eating char kueh tiao without cockles... wanton mee without wanton... fish porridge without fish... ;p :thumbsd: Hey, if I really wanted to eat vegetarian I'll do it at my own time okay?...

Last edited:
You too?! Dangit... this sounds like a conspiracy... :angry: I think I'll just stick to the usual hor fun / huat-tan bee-hoon from now on... At least real meat there...

You really don't get what you paid for in the fried rice / noodles... Plus it tastes strange... like eating char kueh tiao without cockles... wanton mee without wanton... fish porridge without fish... ;p :thumbsd:

i do eat ckt without hum:bsmilie:

but yea. the fake charsiew isnt cutting it sadly. thats why i dun order the fried rice normal. always order the seafood or else chicken one:bsmilie:

i do eat ckt without hum:bsmilie:

but yea. the fake charsiew isnt cutting it sadly. thats why i dun order the fried rice normal. always order the seafood or else chicken one:bsmilie:

You dun like the taste of hum?? :confused: If for health reasons I understand... but Char Kueh Tiaos without hum (provided you already got the jab) is a bit sacrilegious leh... :bsmilie:

Like eating Roti Prata without the curry gravy... lol!

You dun like the taste of hum?? :confused: If for health reasons I understand... but Char Kueh Tiaos without hum (provided you already got the jab) is a bit sacrilegious leh... :bsmilie:

sorry. what's hum? :dunno:

hum? u mean like in the army "eat hum"? eating humble pie? LOL sorry not a hokkien person :bsmilie:

[youtube]k4xrmNEp-Mo[/youtube]

hum? u mean like in the army "eat hum"? eating humble pie? LOL sorry not a hokkien person :bsmilie:
[vid]k4xrmNEp-Mo[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. K4XRMNEP-MO

91558236.jpg

National Dish of Singapore
Mee Siam with Cockles
:bsmilie:

Last edited:

Roti prata can eat with sugar also mah:bsmilie:

Roti prata can eat with sugar also mah:bsmilie:

i eat mine with maple syrup.

haha BUT i can't stand the fact that my fried hong kong noodles comes without the real char-siew. it just takes away the authenticity of it all!

Not many stalls add charsiew to fried rice anymore...sadly.

Roti prata can eat with sugar also mah

Yucks... dunwan... I always order my pratas with onions (so they are always freshly made, plus onions add sweetness and additional flavour :bsmilie:)... If I wanna eat with sugar, that would be Roti Tissue!... ;p

i eat mine with maple syrup.

haha BUT i can't stand the fact that my fried hong kong noodles comes without the real char-siew. it just takes away the authenticity of it all!

Mapl.. :what:? That takes the cake, you ABC or what? :bsmilie: You think you eating waffles hor?

Take away "Char Siew" means there goes the original flavour of the dishes. Major blow to the local cuisine...

The last thing I want is the weird soggy vegetarian flour after-taste... *bleah* totally sucky!

Last edited:
Most likely reason… save $$$$ :think:

But that's a bit sneaky don't you think? To think we pay the same for less... (much less!) not to mention the "deterioration" in the taste... It is not like they've added large slabs of meaty chunks in the first place...

Heck man... I think if I wanna eat fried rice, I'd have to fall back on foreign version... like Thai pineapple (yeah yeah, those are concocted for foreigners like us), but at least the "bak-hu" is real meat... :)

kriegsketten said:
Heck man... I think if I wanna eat fried rice, I'd have to fall back on foreign version... like Thai pineapple (yeah yeah, those are concocted for foreigners like us), but at least the "bak-hu" is real meat... :)

Eat the salted fish one, shiok!! At least it's real salted fish. But eat hua dan horfun sometimes the shop also cheat me, so little egg, like no diff