Where you CAN and CANNOT photograph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroller

Jun 7, 2003
East
Visit site

As a hobbyist photographer, I’ve always wondered where can one go to take photographs (besides the usual places of attraction)? How much land are we given to explore creativity? How many places are actually out of bounds? Are they really out of bounds or simply people who happen to work there conveniently forbids you?

I’ve seen creative compositions of rows of fruits lined up on a supermarket shelf (complete with the supermarket’s name and price tag). This is just one of those ‘everyday places’ where much creativity is to be explored but people take for granted most of the time. I envision a photoshoot in say Carrefour supermarket or even NTUC can yield some amazing results. However, most shops if not all forbids anyone shooting pictures in their shops, even though most do not even display a “NO CAMERA” sign.

I believe that recent world events has killed much of the freedom of outdoor photography. I remember reading in the papers some time back, that the police came knocking on the doors of a photographer who was seen earlier in the day taking a picture of an opposite building. Nation security is important, however, do those who are indirectly assigned with its responsibility carry out the duties correctly? I am amazed that some security guards go to the extent of chasing away photographers, even though the subject in question is not a government institution, but a mall or hotel. I feel too that there is a sense of prejudice in the restriction of outdoor photography. For example, if you’re a tourist, they most likely let you snap away. If you are taking a photograph of your girlfriend standing in front of a building, you probably get away. However, if you’re a solo photographer taking a picture of the same building, standing in the same spot, there is a chance that you might be chased away.

What about ‘People Photography’? Is it okay to take candid shots of crowds of ordinary people on the street or is it outlawed? I feel that ill-intention people who go around taking obscene pictures and posting them on the net has definitely created a bad image for people who holds a camera.

I’ve compiled a checklist of places and situations where I feel would allow one to explore the creativities of photography. I hope that veterans in this forum can share your experiences.

Thanks. (Btw, I hope this post finds itself in the appropriate forum).

Checklist
* Please delete as appropriate
I categorize the answers as “CAN / CANNOT”
– CAN simply means you CAN freely take a photo, it’s not against any law.
– CANNOT means you either require to apply for a permission or it’s totally out of bounds.

A. Outdoor Photography

A1. Exterior of shopping malls or entertainment facilities (cinemas) e.g. A walk down Orchard road.
- CAN / CANNOT *
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A2. HDB town centrals and neighbourhood shops or shop houses along Chinatown.
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A3. MRT stations / Bus Interchange
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A4. Learning institutions (Polytechnics and Universities) These places are usually open to public, however, due to recent SARS situation, they have been out of bounds to the public. There are nice sceneries and buildings to shoot in these places, esp. during the school vacation when the place is quite empty.
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A5. Streets and neighbourhood estates
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A6. Neon signboards (e.g. Night life at Boat Quay or Clarke Quay or even Lucky Plaza)
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A7. Industrial parks or estates. (e.g. Exterior pictures of factories or chemical plants along Tuas)
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A8. Cars (You can do so at a Car Show, but what if you have your camera with you and an exotic car happen to pass by. But you spot an exotic parked in a car park?)
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

A9. Empty land (but fenced up with ‘State Property’ or some private condo project going to take place.) You’ll be surprised some interesting trees grow on these empty lands.
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO
B. Indoor Photography

B1. Inside of a shop / supermarket / café?
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

B2. Inside of MRT stations and MRT trains. (With the newer MRT stations getting more beautiful and incorporating art galleries inside, they sure make a nice place to shoot.)
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

B3. Inside museums and art gallery
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

B4. Inside National Libraries. (Esplanade Library is beautiful)
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

B5. Inside pubs or discos
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

C. People Photography

C1. Candid shots of ordinary people on the streets. (No obscene pictures)
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

C2. Public performances (e.g. road shows) Most indoor concerts forbids cameras.
- CAN / CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES / NO

Please feel free to add on to the list. I felt out places of attractions like Bird Park etc. because they are pretty obvious places.

A. Outdoor Photography

A1. Exterior of shopping malls or entertainment facilities (cinemas) e.g. A walk down Orchard road.
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A2. HDB town centrals and neighbourhood shops or shop houses along Chinatown.
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A3. MRT stations / Bus Interchange
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A4. Learning institutions (Polytechnics and Universities) These places are usually open to public, however, due to recent SARS situation, they have been out of bounds to the public. There are nice sceneries and buildings to shoot in these places, esp. during the school vacation when the place is quite empty.
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A5. Streets and neighbourhood estates
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A6. Neon signboards (e.g. Night life at Boat Quay or Clarke Quay or even Lucky Plaza)
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A7. Industrial parks or estates. (e.g. Exterior pictures of factories or chemical plants along Tuas)
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

A8. Cars (You can do so at a Car Show, but what if you have your camera with you and an exotic car happen to pass by. But you spot an exotic parked in a car park?)
- CAN
Do you do it?
- NO 'Not Interested in Cars :p

A9. Empty land (but fenced up with ‘State Property’ or some private condo project going to take place.) You’ll be surprised some interesting trees grow on these empty lands.
- CANNOT
Do you do it?
- NO 'Me Honest man, no need to risk fine for hobby

B. Indoor Photography

B1. Inside of a shop / supermarket / café?
- CANNOT
Do you do it?
- YES 'Just don't get catch.

B2. Inside of MRT stations and MRT trains. (With the newer MRT stations getting more beautiful and incorporating art galleries inside, they sure make a nice place to shoot.)
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

B3. Inside museums and art gallery
- CAN 'But no Flash allowed
Do you do it?
- NO 'I don't Visit

B4. Inside National Libraries. (Esplanade Library is beautiful)
- CAN 'But no Flash allowed
Do you do it?
- YES

B5. Inside pubs or discos
- CANNOT
Do you do it?
- NO 'Unless your fist bigger than the bouncer

C. People Photography

C1. Candid shots of ordinary people on the streets. (No obscene pictures)
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

C2. Public performances (e.g. road shows) Most indoor concerts forbids cameras.
- CAN
Do you do it?
- YES

Feel feel to correct me, so I'll can change those to Do But Done Get Caught :bsmilie:

you might have been going to the wrong places all the time. :D

so far, i've only been asked not to snap at the Gallery Hotel...

of course, don't be a blur sotong and bring it into military camps... :bsmilie:

generally, if outdoor, you have the right to take photos - why ? cos there is nothing they can do :p

if indoor, you also have the right to take photos. however, if the management doens't like it, they have the right to chase u out. They do not, however have the right to confiscate ur photos or your camera. they also do not have the right to physically manhandle u to get u out.

refer also to the other thread at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=370674#post370674

just found out today at a workshop that its illegal to take pictures at the singapore beach because the coastline is national security. kekekekeke

Originally posted by eskie
just found out today at a workshop that its illegal to take pictures at the singapore beach because the coastline is national security. kekekekeke

hahaha what a load of crap!!!

since when is beach shots not allowed???

Not that anyone has actually been arrested for taking a picture of the beach but, the provision is there is there if they ever need it...

http://agcvldb4.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT &date=latest&method=part

2. Interpretation

d) any railway, roadway or channel or other means of communication by land or water (including any bridges, tunnels, piers, works or structures being part thereof, or connected or used therewith), or any beach, foreshore or the whole or any part of the territorial waters of Singapore, or any searchlight, lighthouse, buoy or other navigational aid, or any public building, fire station, aerodrome or air station, or any signal telegraph or radio station, or any place used for gas, water, electricity or engineering works or other works for purposes of a public character, or any place where any munitions of war or oil, mechanical transport spirit, aviation spirit, fuel or supplies or any photographs, drawings, models, plans or documents relating thereto are being made, repaired or stored otherwise than on behalf of the armed forces, any of the aforesaid being a place which is for the time being declared by the Minister, by order published in the Gazette, to be a prohibited place for the purposes of this section, on the ground that information with respect thereto, or the destruction or obstruction thereof, or interference therewith would be useful to a foreign Power or to an enemy;

eh did u even check the gazette to see which (if any) "beaches" have been classified as prohibited places?

I guess the babe in red bikini will indeed be under "would be useful to a foreign Power or to an enemy."

I don't think anyone would get caught, but don't go around shooting in a period of crisis (911), they might turn suspicious...

Originally posted by vince123123
eh did u even check the gazette to see which (if any) "beaches" have been classified as prohibited places?

Could they declare it as such after the fact?

keekekek just kidding

anyway morimori, notice, basically bridges, piers...
causeway im sure not allowed
lighthouse
islands..

actually i think if i remember correctly its the same for taiwan
this is some internal security act kekeke

oh right so now we're all spies :p

nope of course they cannot declare it after the fact, retrospective laws are very rare....

hehe.

Originally posted by MoriMori
Could they declare it as such after the fact?

I personally think that you can do whatever you want in private... ;)

Originally posted by MrBig
err...can I photograph myself naked??? :vhappy:

kekeke :p

Status
Not open for further replies.