Where would you position urself when taking this shot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopohui

Dec 23, 2009
Singapore, Singapore
www.bolasepako.com
11131_202314326729_513536729_3016155_7137029_n.jpg

- this is the picture I referring to

and I actually "zoom" in from where as depicted below - across the road
11131_202314321729_513536729_3016154_757057_n.jpg

The question is - Do you guys position yourself from a distance away before taking such shot? as you know sometimes people don't like the act being shot in this manner.. any views?

Last edited:
Don't know how to answer this queation. :dunno:

I would position myself closer to the subject and take multiple angles of the shot if possible. Since the uncle who is talking should be the focus point I would position him using the one third rule in framing the shot.

Could be a few possibility:
1. If I'm only with a short lens (e.g something below 55mm) will definitely have to walk closer.
2. If I have long lens (say 55-250), but the light is dim (maybe cloudy days), I'll use the shorter end (say 60mm) and try to get faster shutter speed (at least 1/50) to avoid blur

Don't know how to answer this queation. :dunno:
it just dat sometimes when you want to take a picture of such composition, you would want the subject "as natural as possible".

If one walk closer to the subject and point-and-shoot, imagine the "stare" from those shot felt annoyed or offended, I kena a few times before so that's why I post this question

I would position myself closer to the subject and take multiple angles of the shot if possible. Since the uncle who is talking should be the focus point I would position him using the one third rule in framing the shot.
provided the uncle is those "accomodating" type loh :p

In order to get a good position or location, the best approach is to make friends with them first, seek their approval and with their acknowledgement you can position wherever you deems fit.
Greet them, speak their language, get a permission...the most common reply ones get will be.....take our photo for what ? then it will be :nono: sign, so you better move on.

Besides on top of the black van also can try hiding behind that lamp post, like a pink panther or Mr. Bean. :bsmilie:

I will use a wideangle, go up very close, shoot from between ah pek left one and left two, use both of their head as framing, with ah pek right one looking at ah pek right two talking.

hmm, i like shooting from the hip. walk past holding your camera by your side, pointing at them. then fire off one or two shots without them knowing, so you get them candid. makes for nice street shots, but just dont get caught! :bsmilie:

hmm, i like shooting from the hip. walk past holding your camera by your side, pointing at them. then fire off one or two shots without them knowing, so you get them candid. makes for nice street shots, but just dont get caught! :bsmilie:

Careful ah
... all the ah peks chase you with a chair and you run until you lau sai...:nono:

I will use a wideangle, go up very close, shoot from between ah pek left one and left two, use both of their head as framing, with ah pek right one looking at ah pek right two talking.

Looks good. Hope that the passageway / store behind isn't too messy. Or use super fast lens :bsmilie:

I don't like the 'sniper' approach to candids, but I guess its personal.

My choice would be anywhere from 24-85mm, prefocus based on hyper focal distance, f stop is usually f4 to f5.6 whichever allows a fast enough shutter speed. Walk up to hyper focal distance,lift camera (slightly adj focus if necessary) and snap. Typically fast enough that subject is unsure or unaware that photo was taken.

whatever gets you what you want with good composition is correct.

i would hire a crane and place myself high high above them after drilling a hole in the shophouse to place myself there

then shoot down as an aerial, then proceed to take the rest of the area

we can always dream :)

Don't do it until governement creats a law to prohibit photo taking on other persons unaware.

On top of the black van

In order to get a good position or location, the best approach is to make friends with them first, seek their approval and with their acknowledgement you can position wherever you deems fit.
Greet them, speak their language, get a permission...the most common reply ones get will be.....take our photo for what ? then it will be :nono: sign, so you better move on.

Besides on top of the black van also can try hiding behind that lamp post, like a pink panther or Mr. Bean. :bsmilie:

whatever gets you what you want with good composition is correct.

i would hire a crane and place myself high high above them after drilling a hole in the shophouse to place myself there

then shoot down as an aerial, then proceed to take the rest of the area

we can always dream :)

:bsmilie:plenty of innovative ideas suggested, but I do have my reservation on what "cabbySHE" suggested "making friends" approach, as I foreseen that once these "pakciks" aware that they are to be photographed, then they "would not look as natural" as my first picture depicted as they might tend to "pose nicely".

which is why I would prefer to snap from a distance away discreet but my Fuji S2000 has its limitation and perhaps only using software editing to fine-tuning would achieve the result I want... thanks for the feedback:)

i'll exchange seat with the uncle ;p

as one senior photographer told me, "just dun bother and go ahead"..although, I did encountered once I was in Guangzhou when I snapped this below picture WITHOUT ASKING and kena UPSiDE DOWN

gz-d2-breakfast-stall.jpg

So when I was at Hangzhou taking this picture below, I ASKED for their permission which they obliged without minding at all

hz-bun-seller.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.