Where to take photos for sunrise (west side)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qING

Jan 3, 2006
I am planning to take photos of sunrise. Since I have not taken one before, just to check if anyone has any place (prefer that if it is in the West side) to suggest?

If there is none in the West side, is there anywhere else besides Punggol (too far)?

Thanks. :)

When I was studying at NUS, there used to be rather nice sunset views from the engineering block (7 or 8 stories?).

Maybe you might be able to find some vantage points within NUS.

sunrise? can try jurong hill top.

sunset, can go lim chu kang jetty.

Ok. Thanks Dennis. I will google Jurong Hill top and Lim Chu Kang Jetty.
If I cannot find information on the places, I will PM you ;) Maybe we can go together next time (I leave in Bukit Batok too!!!)

Does anyone knows what is a good timing for sunset and sunrise?

When I was studying at NUS, there used to be rather nice sunset views from the engineering block (7 or 8 stories?).

Maybe you might be able to find some vantage points within NUS.

Thanks ahbian. However, I get lost easily at NUS :bsmilie:... Anyone wants to go there with me?

west side got so much

labrador park, go search for threads

raffles marina (not sure about the security guards though) with the lighthouse: here

a lot of grass area near the second link also , hazmee has photos of it here and here.

chinese gardens also good, the twin pagoda area is just in line of the sunset, though you will not see the final ending here

p.s. good sunset locations are usually remotely located and hard to get to, unless you do like urban sunsets, which i detest. punggol is an extremely excellent location and you deserve to at least go there once in a lifetime (especially before it gets developed) when there is a good sunset going on.

Lately these few days the sunset is hidden by the clouds. still waiting for the good one. Search the pandan reservoir by hazmee is quite interestings views.

oh wait, SUNRISE.

sunrise not very sure already, but in any case, all those locations mentioned are worth checking out anyways, unless you must have the sun in the picture, in which case it's quite iffy

p.s. get google earth, you will be able to better predict whether you have a clear view of the sunrise, otherwise, just settle for the sky colors. not every sunrise/sunset shot needs to have the sun in it

oh wait, SUNRISE.

sunrise not very sure already, but in any case, all those locations mentioned are worth checking out anyways, unless you must have the sun in the picture, in which case it's quite iffy

p.s. get google earth, you will be able to better predict whether you have a clear view of the sunrise, otherwise, just settle for the sky colors. not every sunrise/sunset shot needs to have the sun in it

How do you use google earth to predict clear view of sunrise or sunset :embrass:

Please comment..:)

Lower Seletar is within reach if you are able to catch the first few train even if you are living in jurong (but probably need to walk down to the MRT station), alternative would be Pandan Reservoir (but i prefer sunset, sunrise work but not as good imho).
Chinese garden but i don really like going there except for IR...
if you want to explore, you can try tuas, there is a "secret beach" some where but you be panicking for time if travel by bus even the very first bus from BoonLay interchange... :sweat:

my gallery got some of the shots I have gotten from those place (nt very successfully tho :sweat:)
those are the more "accessble" place for those without any cars... etc but of cos gotta wake up darn early (4.30am or so :confused:)

Lower Seletar
Chinese Garden
Pandan Reservoir
Tuas

How do you use google earth to predict clear view of sunrise or sunset :embrass:

Please comment..:)

ok, i will use two relatively commonplace examples to illustrate -

those who have been to punggol know that for the beach itself, you usually have to angle yourself towards the crane area in the distance to see the sun location, i.e. if you are at the police point, you have to turn left more or less

2250827070_9d0ece8801_o.jpg

see the google earth map with markings, if i'm accurate, punggol end jetty/beach is there - note that this concurs with the actual scenario at the location, since the sun sets in the west

the nearest land in the area is quite some distance away, so at certain times of the year you might be able to see the sun dipping down into the "horizon" per se. something like this here.

for changi beach park in the morning, at the tree/beach area (near the jetty where you can take the bumboat to pulau ubin).. anyone who has been there will realise that at the edge of the water facing the sunrise in the EAST, part of your view will be blocked by landmass.

corresponding google earth map
2250027929_52d9d21f3d_o.jpg

there is protrusion of land when you are facing east. you will be able to see sunrise colors, but sun itself might not, until sometime after sunrise.

some of the photos here display the truth of this as well, if my location on the google earth function is correct.

basically anywhere along the coast of singapore which has an unfettered view with no land mass nearby (close is still ok, not very close but not very far usually calls for composition problems) is good for views. with regards to accessibility and whether there are ugly structures present which may limit your composition is another matter altogether.. try luck lor. what i have done in london so far, (singapore quite easy, got clubsnap to know the common locations which are good, there are only so many places that are accessible to public) is to use it and go there and see how. so far cannot get anything because london very cramped, too much built-up area. :dunno:

hope this helps.

Thanks airforce1, night86mare and ExplorerZ.

BTW, what about time? What is a good time to wait for sunrise and sunset?
I have never waited for one before... Just to confirm so that I will not be too late.

Thanks night86mare....

Learnt a lot from your detailed explanation..
Last question, how come your google earth viewer can see the clouds and such... I can never reach the view you show above..
T.I.A...

I have never waited for one before... Just to confirm so that I will not be too late.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2268
the sunrise and sunset time.. to be safe.. wait for sunrise or sunset at least 30mins before the stated time..the moments just before sunrise(and after sunset) can be quite interesting as well.. hope it helps..

check sunset and sunrise timings, be there 30 minutes to an hour earlier is best, if you have been there before, then don't need to go so early (meaning, be there 30 minutes before) especially for sunset, sunrise might still have possibility of nice glow before it comes out so you can have fun with long exposures (can go there one hour before). the sunrise/sunset timing in singapore should not vary too much but it does vary a few minutes. not as bad as those in london, summer can be 6 or 7 pm, right now it's setting at 5 pm.
Thanks night86mare....

Learnt a lot from your detailed explanation..
Last question, how come your google earth viewer can see the clouds and such... I can never reach the view you show above..
T.I.A...
hahaha, bro, i don't know leh, i'm not the google earth man :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Thank you rOnGrEn (the url is great!!!) and night86mare. :)

Thanks ahbian. However, I get lost easily at NUS :bsmilie:... Anyone wants to go there with me?

I work there, if you wanna go we can do it one of these days :thumbsup:

Btw, Google earth data are a few years old... they are not really updated due to security reasons. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.