Where to repair transistor radios?

thx1138

Nov 5, 2004
Dear members,

Have a few radios that need repairs / servicing.
Any idea if there are any shops in Singapore that still service transistor radios?
Most of these shops have already closed down.

Thanks in advance.

I know 1 of the shop at Tanjong Pagar Plaza, can't remember the unit, but opposite 4D.
when I pass by I saw many old TV/Video set, not very sure about radio, will check it if I pass by again :)

On second thought, would it be better buy a new one than repair?
New radio I guess cost less than $20 :D

I noticed that some shops in Adelphi seem to perform repair works on stereo systems. You could check there.

Does inside of your radio look like this? My father has one and can give you if you need it for spare parts. :)

Radio_Diora_Sonatina_3.jpg

Last edited:
Does inside of your radio look like this? My father has one and can give you if you need it for spare parts. :)
That's not a transistor radio, Sion.

Probably a World War II or Post-War era (ca. '40s to '50s) four tube superheterodyne receiver design with what seems to a dual diode / power output pentode, a half-wave rectifier and two triode / heptode vacuum tubes.

Best to still keep such analog devices around as contingency just in case Second Artillery Corps (SAC) of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) decide to lobe a couple of nuclear tipped Dōng Fēng or Jù Làng ICBMs / SLBMs with MIRVs capability at Sydney, Australia.

Last edited:

No, it is not so old. It uses transistors and not valves.

I know 1 of the shop at Tanjong Pagar Plaza, can't remember the unit, but opposite 4D.
when I pass by I saw many old TV/Video set, not very sure about radio, will check it if I pass by again :)

Do check this out for me. Thanks.

On second thought, would it be better buy a new one than repair?
New radio I guess cost less than $20 :D

Well, I did but a new radio for $45. Made in China.

The ones I have are 60s/70s era radios that are made in Germany.
There is no comparison, the sound from German made radios of that time is really fantastic.
You got to hear one which is working to understand what I mean.

One of them even has a tweeter and bass/mid-range i.e. 2 speakers!
True hi-fi sound which cannot be replicated today.

So that is why I am keen to get them repaired.

Hi,

Would not mind getting one of those valve radios.
But does it work? Can it receive any radio stations?

Thanks.

I noticed that some shops in Adelphi seem to perform repair works on stereo systems. You could check there.

Thanks for the tip, will check at Adelphi when I go there.

You can check out this shop called Memory Lane in Adelphi B1.
The shopkeeper's name is Adrian. Very nice chap and very knowledgeable. He repairs all sorts of hi-fi equipment at reasonable rates.

Here is the shop, Tanjong Pagar Plaza #01-20:
They said open till 8pm, but yesterday pass by around 6:45pm already closed, maybe no customer :)

They said open till 8pm, but yesterday pass by around 6:45pm already closed, maybe no customer :)

Wow, that is really helpful.

I called them. Boss is Chinese speaking. He says he has a technician who knows how to service transistor radios. Thanks for the contact! I am sure it is useful for people here who need to service their radios.

Bad news!

Went to the shop this afternoon. The chinese man turned out to be a chinese lady. Its just a collection point for equipment to be serviced. Lots of old hi-fi stereo sets and amplifers etc for service. She called someone else using her mobile phone and told me that the radios cannot be repaired as there are no spare parts available! She apologized and said that she could not accept the radios for repairs.

Oh well, have to look around for another place to repair my radios.

Last edited:
You can check out this shop called Memory Lane in Adelphi B1.
The shopkeeper's name is Adrian. Very nice chap and very knowledgeable. He repairs all sorts of hi-fi equipment at reasonable rates.

I called Adrian, he says that he cannot accept the radios for repairs. He cannot get any spare parts for them.

What model of radio do you have?
Does it use transistors / tubes?
It might be easier to buy again... there's a guy called wizardofoz at xtremeplace.com, you can also send him a pm.

Chinatown upper Cross Street ,on second floor above sheng siong (diagonal to sheng siong itself, in the middle arm of the U shaped structure )

Chinatown upper Cross Street ,on second floor above sheng siong (diagonal to sheng siong itself, in the middle arm of the U shaped structure )

Is this the HDB blocks next to the Chinatown Point? TY.