Where to rent Spyder callibration kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanadu

Oct 10, 2004
Not sure if this is the right forum...

Anyone know where I can borrow or rent a colour spyder to callibrate monitor? Also is it vital to callibrate my monitor if I don't want to do print outs from my printer? Tks.

Gamut Labs

Jan 16, 2006
It is necessary to calibrate your monitor at least once if you intend to use it for digital photography and might want to make your own prints.

That's because the factory default setting for a windows-based pc graphic card and monitor combo is an average of about (bluish-cool white).

It's usually too "COOL" when compared with your prints even if you had printed properly using proper basic print color management techniques.

What most people do is try to match the print with the screen by adjusting Magenta and Cyan values in the printer driver.

Since monitors, both CRTs and LCDs are essentially "light bulbs", they decay over time and that will casue a little bit of shift, but not as bad as a "Virgin" uncalibrated monitor.

You want to calibrate your monitors and that is a good start to build your own digital darkroom setup.

I'm sorry I don't have a spyder but after testing with all 3 makes of devices, Gretag Macbeth Eye-One, Colorvision Spyder and X-rite-Monaco Optix.

X-Rite has given me the best results both for paper profiling and monitor profiling/calibration.

There is a reason why Epson and X-Rite has officially announced to work together on providing the best digital print profiles available.

And yes, I'm a Digital Imaging Consultant and I have color solutions for X-Rite if you are interested.

Cheers,
nic

Status
Not open for further replies.