Where to rent lenses in S'pore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
As above. How and where can I rent a lens like the 600 f4L lens for my upcoming safari to Africa? Anybody can help? Thanks!

Cheers!

Wah, so envy. going to Safari. Must post some pictures to show us when you are back.

try digital body + 100-400mmL (1.6x400=640) :think: ...cheaper than a 600/f4 straight?

400mm f2.8 anyone? coupled with a 2x or 1.4x, it should be enough. PM me.

you wouldn't want to be lugging that 600mm around with you.

try a 500mm instead.

read luminous landscape, the dude chose a 500 over a 600 coz of the weight. (and the 500's already what.. 8 kg or something.)

ok sure, thanks, but fact is, i don't want to own the lens, its so bulky and i'm sure i won't need it for a very long time after this safari. I have a 300mm f4L with me with my dslr so it gives me 480mm reach already. I had heard of some obscure and rare wild birds and I'd really want to not miss that. I'm planning of getting a 1.4x TC to give me a total effective reach with my 300 and dslr, 672mm, which is quite substantial. The only annoyance is that even though with this much power with me i won't be able to stalk and get a shot as in some safari (Still dunno how its like) they allow u in the vehicle only due to safety reasons...

Please note: I don't have the money or the will to own a 500 or 600mm lens. (At least not yet!) hehe...

can try a sigma 50-500...

but there're bad copies out there..

sequitur said:
can try a sigma 50-500...

but there're bad copies out there..
I've heard rumours of that... Oh yea.. u were the one asking about the lens... Have u got it? if u have could u share some of your thoughts about the lens?

What Noir posted is TOTALLY NOT OT.

I find it to be very helpful and useful if I were in a similiar position as nickmak. But if I could rent the lens from Singapore, I wouldn't want to because I would most likely be robbed in Africa.

I would rather go there and rent lenses if there are places for me, otherwise I will just stick to whatever I have with me. Worse case scenario would be to go and buy one of those long things and pray that I will not be robbed.

Obviously, I would only do this only if I had the money to do so.

When is the safari and how long is it for? You can check out my 500/4 if u like, got both 1.4x and 2x TC also. Can email me to discuss.

I have plans to go during my summer holidays, around the July to errr... August (It comes after July rite? Sorry, blur rite now due to exams... hehe) period and before that im coming back to s'pore. The safari is either an 8 day one or if my dad allows and i'm persistent enough to beg him, a 16 day journey.

If I can confirm my trip Terence, would u mind if I rented the 500 lens from u? I'm getting a 1.4x TC soon....

Cheers! Thanks for the website Noir! Helped me lots! Cheers!

Along with a lens like the 500/4, u need a tripod (with a gimbal head) or at least a sturdy monopod. You can hand hold if u like, but I give you not more than 1 minute before your shaking hands becomes too much for the IS to handle.

Drop me a mail when you're ready to talk about it.

Thanks for the info Terence. Will take that in mind. I'll mail u at a later date when the trip is really confirmed. Right now the trip's off the discussion board and put into the 'Hey maybe that's a good trip' section of their heads so keeping fingers crossed here...

out of curiosity, who did u approach to book this safari trip? is it a self planned trip or are there agencies specializing in such photo trips? I'm looking into doing one soon.

Eh... so can anyone shed light on where we can rent such lenses for use in Sin?

Cheers!

szekiat said:
out of curiosity, who did u approach to book this safari trip? is it a self planned trip or are there agencies specializing in such photo trips? I'm looking into doing one soon.
Hi, actually we haven't booked the trip yet but we are highly interested and my parents may be confirming when they get to s'pore next week. My dad uses a travel agent (IBS Travel, 1st flr Lucky Plaza) to do his bookings because his friend works there and can give him good bookings and stuff... I'll give u an update with this... My dad does the booking, my mum does the writing and I do the photography! :)

Iceman27 said:
Eh... so can anyone shed light on where we can rent such lenses for use in Sin?

Cheers!
Probably for me when I go I'll contact terence as he gave me good advice about the lenses and Noir for extra info. I'll try to contact Terence and if possible rent his 500 f4L for the trip. As for renting I think there's nobody in s'pore or no company in s'pore who can rent. Unless u are in the CPS (Canon Pro Services) then they'll let u borrow... But still, how many can get this?

Actually, to shed some light, CPS will only lend u the equivalent of what u sent in for servicing. Hence, u need to already own one to borrow one from them. I run a small rental service here and u can view my listings in the Marketplace section of the forum. Call me at 90698948 for urgent matters. For money, I work 24hrs.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.