where to learn more on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlpk007

Sep 24, 2002
Singapore.
Visit site
Hi all,

very interested to upgrade to DSLR from pro consumer..but i dont quite understand those lens like 18-55mm what does it mean?
i like to take scenary pics

Where can i learn more on those wording's meaning?

Thank You

Hi all,

very interested to upgrade to DSLR from pro consumer..but i dont quite understand those lens like 18-55mm what does it mean?
i like to take scenary pics

Where can i learn more on those wording's meaning?

Thank You

that is FOCAL LENGTH

take note of this thing called CROP FACTOR

and search those terms in wikipedia. wikipedia is your best friend.

if you want more detail, find a basic digital photography book, michael freeman has a dslr handbook, read it. it is available in the national library.

that is FOCAL LENGTH

take note of this thing called CROP FACTOR

and search those terms in wikipedia. wikipedia is your best friend.

if you want more detail, find a basic digital photography book, michael freeman has a dslr handbook, read it. it is available in the national library.
thank you

PENTAX DA 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM
what does the above lens mean??focal len of only 200mm (cannot zoom is it)/....

200mm means i must be further away from the object??sorry for asking such stupid question

thank you

200mm means i must be further away from the object??sorry for asking such stupid question

thank you
yes its fixed.. cannot zoom.. yes you must be far away from object unless that lens is a macro and can shoot tiny bugs..

PENTAX DA 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM .. [...] .. 200mm means i must be further away from the object??

From the specs I'd say that you MUST pay a lot of money for it .. but you CAN get nice pictures of objects being further away even in low light conditions ;)

thank you

DA ED IF SDM are abbreviations used by different lens maker to mark the capability, lens build, control motors etc of that particular piece of glass. IF - internal focusing, ED refers to glass type and treatment / coating that adds to the final quality of the image, color reproduction and maybe flare control. Equivalent of image stabilising we have OS or VR. Silent AF motor with USM from Canon and HSM from Sigma for example.

Fixed focal lens = prime lens (inevitably better image quality with less lens elements)
Big aperture that can be forced to remain fixed throughout the entire zoom range (if this number appears in a zoom/ prime lens) = fast lens. Not because it has a big aperture but due to the big constant aperture thus alowing any desired shutter speed or the fastest shutter speed to freeze motion within having to sacrifice brightness or sharpness of a photo.

Last edited:
thanks...i want to choose my lens before i choose the body i want...:)...

Dun forget the other parts of the system. Flash, accessories, etc...

Dun forget the other parts of the system. Flash, accessories, etc...

went to tried canon eos 1000d...first time using dslr(only use slr before...a very very old model)....and was quite impress with it.....but is only from LCD...at least the pics turn out to be what i expected after i change the setting(shutter speed,aperture,iso....playing around)....

very gian....:)....

very gian....:)....

My friend, you have taken the first step on a very long and slippery slope. My deepest condolence and welcome to our misery :bsmilie:

Borrow a couple of books from the library while you're at it - there are numerous threads here on book recommendations.

My friend, you have taken the first step on a very long and slippery slope. My deepest condolence and welcome to our misery :bsmilie:

Borrow a couple of books from the library while you're at it - there are numerous threads here on book recommendations.

I am also very scare that i will spend money on lens which i dont need....(trap alert...haha)...

I am also very scare that i will spend money on lens which i dont need....(trap alert...haha)...

Common problem... :bsmilie:

Do test out the other systems including the flashes, etc if you can get your hands on them...

If you're unsure about a lens, and you can't borrow it from a friend (or they seem unwilling to lend it to you), try renting one for a weekend.

It is quite a skill to know what you need; it is obvious from the number of threads asking "which of these lenses should buy", that a lot of people have not yet acquired the skill. :bsmilie:

May I know if there is any website to rent lens? And what is the cost like?

Status
Not open for further replies.