Where to learn how to use flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are shooting wedding halfway, you want to make your couple's faces turn green, just take out the camera/ flash manual and read infront of them.

smallaperture said:
Hahaha, never tried that before leh. After that, the flash stinks and suffers from constipation....... :bigeyes: :bsmilie: and then, got to wash hands with the errrh.... golden tap/faucet or whatever you wish to call it la.
The most valuable, private time that u spend with urself is on the toilet bowl.

I had got hell lot of inspiration & poses for photos whilst sitting on the toilet bowl, my friend. Don't look down on the stink time.

catchlights said:
If you are shooting wedding halfway, you want to make your couple's faces turn green, just take out the camera/ flash manual and read infront of them.
I'd think shooting, shooting & reshooting the same scene, pose & photo 10 times would be a better way. :think:

jsbn said:
I'd think shooting, shooting & reshooting the same scene, pose & photo 10 times would be a better way. :think:
My method is effortless, don't need to say a word, don't have to waste your shutter counts.:bsmilie:

YWP said:
Thanks you guys for all your comments. Special thanks to people who understand what it means by new age learning. I strongly believe in hardwork. I am also not a text book bookworm. For those who understands and have contributed to this thread, million thanks and hope the newbies will gain from here like me. For people who are just in here to critise me, thank you too for your unwanted comments too. Bottom line, I am here to learn and all constructive comments are welcome. Moving forward, if there is anyone who can still contribute to this thread, please continue to keep it alive. I bet there are more out there that are newbies but are not as outspoken as some to try and learn their new toys fast.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Very likely OP will think I have no constructive comments abd will brush my suggestions aside for being too old fashion and not "new age" enough.

However OP's attitude for hard work and his embrace for "new age" learning is just too tempting for me to throw in my 2 cents.

I have no question that OP wants to be a good photograper, and I have no doubt that he is willing to work hard the "new age" way - ask other for short cut tips so that he wont have to make mistake.

The truth to the matter is, there is no new age way to be good in anything. Learning thru mistakes, trials and errors, and hard work is the only way. The manual is there as a guide along the way. If OP does not want to read it, then we may have a problem, serious problem in his quest to be a good photographer, and waste all his efforts in working hard at it.

Actualy, I think OP is afraid to make mistakes, hence he wants tips.

Sorry to say, making mistake is the best way to learn. Reading the manal is the guide to correct the mistake, especially regarding the technical stuffs. Too bad, OP's new age hard work will never bear fruits.

I tink he's been misunderstood... Pity.

It's just the way he phrased his original post. I tink what he meant is, he wants to be up and about with the flash past the Auto mode but without having to plough thru the manual. Of cos, if u choose to view his question as "taking the easy way out", then the opinion u form of him will be negative. (Btw, I dunno who he is n I'm not related to him.)

I know what he means by "new age learning". There may be other terms for it. I've been thru the edu system over here and it's frustrating when u get lousy textbooks and teachers. Mentors and guidance are very important in one's learning. If u can get a good mentor who teaches u the task in a very precise and systematic manner, u save A LOT of time fumbling thru the books or manuals. This applies to all forms of learning, be it photography, passing your exams with flying colors or whatever.

Who here dare say Canon manuals are fantastic? And even if u look at the tons of books available in the libraries and bookshops on techinques, only a selected few of the authors reveal how they actually took the shots and in precise manner what they did. Others just gave very general views/comments.

Problem is, in such a forum, it is human nature for us to quickly put down others whenever an opportunity comes. This post creates that environment. For eg, "How to use a flash?" and the poster shot himself in the foot by adding that he has no time. It's like asking How do I drive a car? But I have no time to read the manuals! What is meant is that "I want you to show me the essentials and I dun want to waste time reading the driving notes (remember the kind your driving instructor gave u?)

Problem also is that a skill like photography takes years of mistakes and trial and error to perfect, be it the technical aspects of it or the creative part. Would you be willing to impart all your skills to an unknown poster? I doubt so.

But seriously, I still believe if one is willing to learn, and I am willing to teach, I can impart what I know to the person in 2 weeks what I've learnt in 2 years. But to be better, of cos he or she needs practical skills. But at least the person can save that much amount of time. I wish I had someone to guide me in all these when I was a newbie to photography. But it is often hard work, lots of reading, try and error with films (back then). Frankly the trouble ain't worth it if u ask me. The time could have been used to explore more creative stuffs. But then, the knowledge I have is mine to keep forever.

Now who is willing to impart their years of knowledge to another for free? ;p

Well granted he may have been "misunderstood" due to a hasty post. But some may wonder why he drew so much flak.

Well, everyone who's owned a canon flash knows how thin the manual is. I finished it in 45 mins. It gives you an overview of the features and the how to manipulate the contols. Its aim is to show you how to operate the flash. Doesn't teach you much on flash techniques. But how are you going to learn more advanced uses if all you know is how to do is switch it on?

No use discussing bounce tecnhiques if you can't find to button to tilt the head up, or manual flash if you can't set it. Thats what's the manual for. No matter how new age or old fashioned you are you still need to read the manual to learn basic functions. And anyone who's done research on EOS flash knows the manual is the tip of the ice berg. If you can't last through that, how do you progress further? You won't have a foundation to build upon.

Practical know how must be supported by a theoretical understanding of the concepts. Eg. If you understand the theory behind bounce flash, you'll know instantly that it won't work outdoors where there's nothing to bounce the flash off without anyone having to point it out.

After reading all the posts, i agree with some of the points made and I also disagree with some of them.

Firstly, there are no shortcuts in photography and one learns how to use flash through years of trial and error. But one can pick up pointers from learning and trading pointers and experiences from other photographers.

I would strongly suggest that you at least pick up the manual and browset through it to at least know what the flash is capable of and to also know how to work the flash. I kind of understand the feelings of some of the people who have posted, that you can't expect people to spoon feed you and hold your hand to how to use your flash. But on the other hand if you want to learn how to effectively use your flash then that is another matter.

I could go on but I don't really want to bore or offend anyone here. I would suggest maybe going down to Cathay or Ruby and speak to someone around who knows anything and maybe they can give you a 5 min lesson. because it would take too much time to try to explain it to you here and without being able to show you on your camera what to do would be even more difficult.

That's just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.