Where to learn how to use flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading manual works for some and doesn't work for some.

Just like some people can score great results mugging textbooks while others score as well just by doing 10 year series from day to night. End of the day, both also perform well so what's the problem? Moral of the story is hard work is still needed but there is more than 1 way to do it.

Not advocating short cuts and I am sure there is none. ;p

Thanks you guys for all your comments. Special thanks to people who understand what it means by new age learning. I strongly believe in hardwork. I am also not a text book bookworm. For those who understands and have contributed to this thread, million thanks and hope the newbies will gain from here like me. For people who are just in here to critise me, thank you too for your unwanted comments too. Bottom line, I am here to learn and all constructive comments are welcome. Moving forward, if there is anyone who can still contribute to this thread, please continue to keep it alive. I bet there are more out there that are newbies but are not as outspoken as some to try and learn their new toys fast.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Waow.... such a heated debate!

I'm sorry this happened to you YWP... But I see both sides of the argument. Maybe it's bcos u're a newbie (or maybe created a new log in name?) and the way u phrased yr original question. It gave some people here the impression u want the easy way out with little effort.

Personally, I think the question is too general. How to use the flash... It can be as quick as: fit it to your camera hotshoe, set to auto and press the shutter. Long gone are the calculations you need to do like in the old days.

Another reason is that it's not always that people are willing to share what they have learnt over the years. For me, I started out like you asking basic questions. Some are really very helpful to guide but from the replies of others, u can tell they know lotsa stuffs but are just not willing to teach. Some are just not bothered cos they dun know you.

So I learnt flash the hard way since the days of Canon film cameras. I've burnt countless rolls of slides to understand how my Canon flash works. Read books and articles. Then, I was getting used to the change when I moved to Canon DSLR. I still maintain here that they underexpose!!! (Pls argue here if u disagree and I'd gladly bring down my gear to show u and we can compare and discuss.) But it's something u live by and learn to work around it.

I appreciate fully what u mean by "new age learning". I'm into all these stuffs. I believe if someone is willing to teach u and u are willing to learn, u can compress 2-5 yrs work in just a week. Question is, who would be willing to do that here for free?

For now, maybe you can be more specific on which aspect of using the flash u want to know.

Cool Kiwi, thanks for all the comments. Appreciate it.

post a couple of pics and ask for help on their exposure and start from there.

Asking for help and tips without giving the rest a direction to work with is like asking them to summarize a whole book into point forms. That is also worthless without actual hands on.
You have to pardon the behavior, coz there are too many people who jumped into photography clueless and yet buying a dslr as their first camera, then they expect the lao jiaos to spoonfeed them. Eg. Ask about exposure but got no idea what is shutter and aperture. :complain: thus they are justified in their behavior in their own right.

Another way of leaning it...

MissDi said:
Hi all.............

FLASHLIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY COURSE

Come and master the art of Flashlight Photography from a professional photographer. The course shall equip students with sufficient skills in handling various situations with flashlight as well as the creative use of it. Students shall have ample hands-on sessions with the guidance from the instructor to practice what they have learnt.
Duration : 4 weeks, 2 hours per session
Course Fee : S$160 (member), S$260 (non-member)
Language : English
Pre-requisite : Basic Photography Course
Instructor : Goh Kim Hui

LESSON 1
Guide number
Effect of aperture and ASA on flashlight usage
Sync speed
Internal flash versus external flash
flash accessories
the external battery pack
Exposure with flash (P,A,S,M, which one to use?)

LESSON 2
Flash techniques:
(1) bounce flash
(2) reflected
(3) flash with filters
(4) slow sync flash
(5) rear curtain flash
(6) multi-strobe flash
(7) high speed flash
Controlling shadows

LESSON 3
Night session with flash

LESSON 4
day outdoor session with flash (model session)

Assessment
Students are required to submit six images following the criteria:
(1) flash used indoor on portrait
(2) Fill flash outdoor on model
(3) Slow sync flash at night
(4) Flash with filters
(5) High speed flash
(6) Group photo with flash

Certificates will be given to successful submissions.

For registration, do drop us an e-mail to pss1950@singnet.com. sg with your name and cell phone no.

Cheers

Hi YWP,

Hope that you do not get too heat-up with all these comments.
I am equally new in clubsnap and forum though I have started serious DSLR photography as hobby about 2 years ago and still learning. I have also flumbled many times trying to post many threads where many ended up in wrong thread and being:sticktong at.

I understand that you would like to know some quick tips on how to use flash, but first of all we need some details, like what DSLR you use, flash you own and so forth. Personally, I always ask myself a question, how can I not to use flash as I find using flash make to pics look harsh unless where necessary, I will use bounce flash or lower a few stops down etc.

We are here with a common interest and have a never give up spirit to learn. Do take some shots with your DSLR + flash (only if it is needed only!), and post again with your question in more direct question like how to compensate +/-, syn, or bounce etc....., I believe there are many willing to give their tips.
Hope to hear from u.

:)

catchlights said:
Another way of leaning it...

Hey... I can teach all that too! :)

Anyway, good coverage of flash usage...

There are some sites that gives you tips and tutorial on many aspects of photography in the net. For newbies and amateurs, Ken Rockwell gives loads of valuable advices for example. Another one is Luminous Landscape which is rather pro-Canon, but still very good just the same.

Just one simple tip - start off by setting everything to the default setting of the camera and flash and everything to auto and let the cam decide the setting for you. Until you're in a position or level to outdo the "brain" of the cam, then, you start to mess around with all those confusing buttons.

For example, after almost 2 years on a dSLR, I am still almost always on Auto WB. Maybe, the AWB of my cam is so good that it makes me lazy to explore the manual WB.:cool: :bsmilie:

to sum up, gain basic understanding of the various modes ur speedlite has by reading the manual, so that generally u'll know when to use which. then fine tune ur technique with practise.

read this short article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/flash.htm though written for nikon speedlites, the application of most techniques is abt the same as canon

YWP said:
Hi people, can anyone tell me which website can teach us how to use the flash fast. Got no time to read manuel.
Since u got no time to RTFM or got no time to learn, DON'T USE. Enuff said.

smallaperture said:
There are some sites that gives you tips and tutorial on many aspects of photography in the net. For newbies and amateurs, Ken Rockwell gives loads of valuable advices for example. Another one is Luminous Landscape which is rather pro-Canon, but still very good just the same.
:

you just recomended 2 worst websites for camera infomation, the sites are brand bias and tests are of sub standards, thanks!

Belle&Sebastain said:
you just recomended 2 worst websites for camera infomation, the sites are brand bias and tests are of sub standards, thanks!

Brand bias - one is pro-Nikon and the other pro-Canon and they don't hide anything from it. But, those are not camera info or equipment info only, but quite a bit of photography in general. I would anytime recommend it for newbies. And like most info obtain from the net, got to be taken with a big pinch of salt, just like from this forum too.

One big thing about Ken Rockwell is that he doesn't tell you to go Buy, Buy and Buy, but recommend what is sensible for the amateur. If you do a Search in this forum on Buy, Buy and Buy, I am very sure you'll find tonnes of matches.

cameracamera said:
I think YWP has a point here. Not everyone is best at learning through via reading the manuel. Some just learn it fast through working on it. Hence, i think you guys are pretty hash on YWP.

There are no short cuts. He absolutely has no point. Got time to post, got time to buy camera, got time to go shoot pictures. BUT no time to learn fundamentals.

denniskee said:
while i encourage people to read the manual, but there are some who cant really understand what they are reading.

eg is me
while taking my advance diploma, read the book on micro-controller 3 times, still cant pass the exam.

His point is that HE HAS NO TIME. Nothing to do with the learning and the pedagogy of flash.

denniskee said:
while i encourage people to read the manual, but there are some who cant really understand what they are reading.

eg is me
while taking my advance diploma, read the book on micro-controller 3 times, still cant pass the exam.

u quoted a totally irrelevant example.
cannot-understand & no-time-to-read are 2 totally different things altogether.
at least u have the TIME to read your book 3 times, but his problem is that he has NO TIME to read, not that he cannot understand the manual.

EiRiK said:
u quoted a totally irrelevant example.
cannot-understand & no-time-to-read are 2 totally different things altogether.
at least u have the TIME to read your book 3 times, but his problem is that he has NO TIME to read, not that he cannot understand the manual.
No time to read....
interesting..... not "don't want to read",
maybe he is in the rush for something..
like tomorrow have a event shoot? or bring camera and flash for holiday?

catchlights said:
No time to read....
interesting..... not "don't want to read",
maybe he is in the rush for something..
like tomorrow have a event shoot? or bring camera and flash for holiday?

Lots of time when going on holidays - can read and meddle with the flash and cam while waiting to board the plane, on the plane itself. Even during an hour flight, inuf time to run thru the entire manual liao......

smallaperture said:
Lots of time when going on holidays - can read and meddle with the flash and cam while waiting to board the plane, on the plane itself. Even during an hour flight, inuf time to run thru the entire manual liao......

He can read while doing his poo poo, sitting on the golden throne....:think:

Hacker said:
He can read while doing his poo poo, sitting on the golden throne....:think:

Hahaha, never tried that before leh. After that, the flash stinks and suffers from constipation....... :bigeyes: :bsmilie: and then, got to wash hands with the errrh.... golden tap/faucet or whatever you wish to call it la.

Status
Not open for further replies.