Where to go to contemplate life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

altern8tif

Jan 17, 2009
Singapore
Thought I should post this question here to see if I could get some ideas from everyone...

I'm thinking of doing a 2-mth trip so that I could get away from Singapore and spend some time thinking about the future and about life in general. Anyone has any ideas or previous experiences about places where one can contemplate and reflect?

Somewhere with beautiful scenery/people/culture would definitely help much since I'll be bringing my Canon along...

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

erm, you can contemplate life anywhere, really.

every person is different. i like quiet places devoid of humanity.

Hmm.... May I suggest?
Go up north-west and up-altitude to the Land of Snow. Guarantee beautiful scenery, cool (cold) weather, relatively sparsely-populated, quite, spiritual.
Contemplate as long as you would like to...

Floating around on a private boat in a star lit Halong Bay helps to clear the head;)

Thought I should post this question here to see if I could get some ideas from everyone...

I'm thinking of doing a 2-mth trip so that I could get away from Singapore and spend some time thinking about the future and about life in general. Anyone has any ideas or previous experiences about places where one can contemplate and reflect?

Somewhere with beautiful scenery/people/culture would definitely help much since I'll be bringing my Canon along...

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!
Hey,

I would recommend India... Just finished reading an interesting book called "The monk who sold his Ferrari" (R. Sharma). It's about a very successful lawyer who decides to change his life one day and goes for a trip to India to find a meaning of his life. He meets some people in Himalayas who will change his life forever... It's a book about happiness and the power of human's mind. (You can always read it at Sentosa though ;)

Another place is Africa - it's such an amazing continent, with beautiful landscapes, interesting culture and easy-going, friendly people. I've been to South Africa, Mozambique, Swaziland and Morocco and that were the trips of the lifetime. It's gonna be so different for you (because of the culture, language, people's mentality, traditional african food, music etc.) and you can find both things that you are looking for: places where you can just contemplate and be on your own or places full of people, busy markets, big cities etc - but everything so different then in Asia!

Enjoy your trip!

You should go to a place without any distractions. A monastery perhaps.

You should go to a place without any distractions. A monastery perhaps.

出家做和尚???!?!?!

Haha... TS, no need to go to the extreme as to be a 出家和尚 (night86mare being naughty to you here lah...).
But precisely like what TheChef said- go to a monastery :bsmilie:. No one will ga-jiao you there. You can wake up 5am every day to sweep the floor, have porridge for breakfast and lunch with some tow gay and tofu. And if you get sick of sitting on the floor, you can sleep early at 8pm every evening. Life is simple, but good!
That is why you noticed I suggested that you go up north-west and 5000m above sea level to the Land of Snow.
No one will come looking for you there... hehe hehe :bsmilie:

China
Yunnan, Qing Hai, etc
Cheaper and the scenery is good. You can help someone as well.

go and try to live in balinese kampong life....
can contemplate... cheap somemore...

check out myanmar.. but 2-3 weeks should be more than enough..

Wow thanks all for the suggestions...

I'm kind of going through some sort of a personal/professional crisis and just need some time off to really think about and consider my life purpose.

I actually did a trip to Nepal last June for trekking and I'm considering if I should go back there... Simply loved taking in the vast expanse and marvelling at the majestic power of nature.

Maybe I should go get the "100 places to see before you die" to see what other places they suggest too...:think:

@limwhow: What Land of Snow are u referring to? North-west? Meaning Europe?

@Eva F: Morocco was on my list as well. I suppose it would be affordable too right? Yea, never really thought abt India, though I may consider it now. Which part of India would you recommend?

Ladakh, India
South Africa
Kenya
Tanzania
Morocco
Mexico

@limwhow: What Land of Snow are u referring to? North-west? Meaning Europe?

@Eva F: Morocco was on my list as well. I suppose it would be affordable too right? Yea, never really thought abt India, though I may consider it now. Which part of India would you recommend?

He's probably referring to the Himalayas. Or i'm just presuming.

India - I'd go to Uttaranchal, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh

New Zealand
Switzerland (Alps)
Tibet

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

To contemplate and reflect about your life is not
by taking a two months trip to remote places with
your camera in the aim of capturing beautiful scenery,
people and their activities.

To find out who you are, the first thing is to find
out how you can live right. The current pursue of
pleasure, entertainment, sightseeing etc can jolt
you from achieving what you intend to achieve.

You must adjust your thinking right now in the
aim of finding out who made you so that you start
to reinforce your mind with excellent perspective
of your life.

Somehow you may have certain people who had came
into your life at various time but they didn't help
made or break your perspective.

Certainly everyone at one time or another encounters
dark clouds and storms in his life which threaten to
wreck his emotions and attitude. To start changing
there are three robbers you have to put in jail. Their
names are Mr. Pride, Mr. Anger and Mr. Hatred.

Another perspective to look into is to forget yourself
unto greatness. Man must lose himself to find himself.
So if you have decided to take a break by getting away
let the time and the journey be not in the state of
anxiousness and picture taking expectations. Instead
have your goal on human connections. Sincere and
real connections starts with the heart. To me this is
one real purpose of life. ;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.