Where to go in France?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptm

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hi All

Will be going there for 10 days (Dec) with my wife, any cities or towns to recommend beside Paris (she insists on it as 1 of the stop)?
Is the east or west side more eye catching and memorable?

Of course everyone will insist on Paris! But but beside Paris, there are other towns you can visit, and they are more french than Paris. For example:

From Paris, you can take a train to Versailles, about 1 hour, to see the very famous palace.

Also can take a longer train from Paris to Tours, about 4-5 hours, around this region are many nice and pretty french castles and catherals, famous river scenary along the river. You have to find a place to stay in/near Tours.

Hm....

It's autum, supposingly would be better to go to the south few more weeks ago. i think it's still a good time to goto the South though i had never been there around this period last time when i was visiting my gf in Vibeuf.

Oh ya, the street, the bridges, street lamp posts, you must shoot.

I would say Paris is a must visit.

Here are some pictures to better show the places that you might consider visiting.

Here are a few pics of the Eiffel Tower:
02eiffel.jpg
03eiffel.jpg

There's of course the Arc de Triomphe:
04arc.jpg

The climb to the top is truly tiring.

The Louvre Museum is so huge you'd probably loose your way. You can see the Mona Lisa there.
05louvre.jpg

The Notre Dame is very beautiful and the prayer sessions are really nice.
07notre.jpg
08notre.jpg

I recommend taking a river cruise in the night - you can see the Statue of Liberty (smaller version)

Montmartre is great too.
10matre.jpg
11matre.jpg

The Rodin Museum has some very nice sculptures.
12rodin.jpg
13rodin.jpg

There is also the Euro Disneyland.
14disney.jpg

Off Paris, I strongly recommend the Loire Valley. You can take a day tour to visit all the chateaus.
15loire.jpg
16loire.jpg

17loire.jpg

Versailles is another not to be missed.
18ver.jpg
19ver.jpg

20ver.jpg
21ver.jpg

I regret not having done so, but if you can stay a night in Mont Saint Michel, its gonna be unforgetable. Rushing tides and candlelight walks in the church at night.
22michel.jpg
23michel.jpg

I hope this helps and hopefully you'll have a great vacation - minus the strikes!

Hi Pit, Versailles and Lorie Valley are just outside Paris, am I rite?

Hi Shorty, have ready hit the French Riveria (Nice, Cannes and Monaco) on a previous visit. ;)
May try Lyon instead.

Hi Astin, will read up on Tours. Thanks.

So generally there are more things to see on the east side as compared to the west (coast)?

ptm said:
Hi Pit, Versailles and Lorie Valley are just outside Paris, am I rite?

Hi Shorty, have ready hit the French Riveria (Nice, Cannes and Monaco) on a previous visit. ;)
May try Lyon instead.

Hi Astin, will read up on Tours. Thanks.

So generally there are more things to see on the east side as compared to the west (coast)?

Actually Tours is 1 of the major town in the Lorie Valley lah. You take a train from Paris to Tours, and then stay in Tours, then you either rent a bicycle (very romantic) or rent a car (not romantic but comfortable) to travel around the Lorie Valley region.

Versailles is just outside Paris, you can stay in Paris and take a day trip to Versailles and then back to Paris for dinner and hotel.

Refer here for a simple map of France. Note the distance between Paris, Versailles, Tours etc.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-191501733-france_vacations-i

If you like skiing, you can also go the Alps region, find out the city of Grenoble on the map, south-east, thats the major hub for french ski holidays, very very romantic Alpine scenic towns around.

Hi Pit

What time of the year was those pictures taken? I am planning a trip in April. Was wondering if it still too cold and gloomy.

regards

Minority said:
Hi Pit

What time of the year was those pictures taken? I am planning a trip in April. Was wondering if it still too cold and gloomy.

regards

in my personal opinion, late april is the best time to go Europe, since it's the time when flowers bloom. By May, most of the flowers are beginning to wilt. It was a joke when I went to a rose garden somewhere in switzerland and saw only leaves.

The weather is cool (could be a bit cold if you are near the north) and there are no crowds. But some places like Resorts in the Alps are only open during the Summer holidays.

Minority said:
Hi Pit

regards

Those were taken in Late March/Early April. We were very lucky as the weather was not as gloomy as expected. However it was very cold in France.

pit said:
Those were taken in Late March/Early April. We were very lucky as the weather was not as gloomy as expected. However it was very cold in France.

Interesting. Btw do you drive there or you cab to all the site of interest?

pray hard the French dun go on strike. Their No. 1 pastime, not Sex, not Soccer but Strikes. :bsmilie:

Minority said:
Interesting. Btw do you drive there or you cab to all the site of interest?

I am a self-confessed slightly reckless driver in Singapore. But when I see the traffic in France, I prefer not to drive :).

When I was at the Loire Valley, we took an english speaking day tour which was very convenient and the time they gave you for each place you visit is rather generous - comparing to some Singapore tours I joined.

In Paris, we mainly used the metro and the bus which was rather convenient - provided there was no strike. (I had to carry my full luggage and walked for about 50 mins to catch the Eurostar to London when I met a strike. Si beh sway).

For towns further out, we took the TGV (accordingly, the fastest train in the world - does feel faster than the shin kan sen).

If you like to rollerblade, I think it should be all right. There are quite a number of locals on these. :) Just an unorthodox alternative.

I don't think the cabs will come cheap. What the heck, everything there don't come cheap.

Hi Pit, nice interesting photos there!

Hi Laugh, Aussies have the same national pastime too (always threatening to go on strikes)... hiakz!

Status
Not open for further replies.