where to get started out in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idconfirm

Mar 16, 2005
Hi (i'm not sure if here's the place to place this.. but just some budding thoughts ;p)

Im new to photography and am very interested in cameras, cinematography and photos.. (something along this line).

But i have no formal education in this area, even though i have a dip in other area, that is. =( The best things i can show is some photos that i've developed using a digi cam point-and-shoot kind.

I wish to start working at some production house/photography house to get some experience but where on earth can I start to have such a job? Every production house seem to need people with at least some experience/education in this area.

if anybody know of any production house who don't mind.. taking in newbies but hardworking and v. v. v. interested applicants, pls let me know!

any advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Everyone got to start somewhere somehow. Perhaps what u can do at the meantime is to practice a lot in what u r interested in. Make every effort to join photoshoot outings in the forum. It is one of the ways u can pick up your skills fast by learning from others. And as u practice, post your photos here, in time it will demonstrate what u r capable of. From here, build up your portfolio. If u r really keen in photography, wait no further...let action do the talking. :thumbsup:

My opinion:

Do not bother about going out with people to shoot or whatever as the main thing to start off. You can look for a temp/perm job in the photography field, that is to serve as an assistant where you will see all the real stuff, although hard way, but the fastest way to learn many stuff on the job. Of course you will get paid too (do not work for free, but I guess those that you work for free are not worth your time). But to warn you first, it is not easy and patient, alertness and willingness to sacrifice your time is some things you will need.

Other than that, you should go take some courses to learn more about photography while trying out the new skills you obtain in both courses and in your job.

You might be thinking of getting a camera, learn the basic, shoot with people then try to shoot events and weddings. I would say do not do that, too slow I would say. Besides that, there are also lower expectations in this way. As an assistant your photographer will be expecting a lot from you so you will learn many things faster this way, and you get the experience and you will know more links.

theITguy said:
You might be thinking of getting a camera, learn the basic, shoot with people then try to shoot events and weddings. I would say do not do that, too slow I would say. Besides that, there are also lower expectations in this way.

That was exactly what I did. Though still quite a long way to go, I picked up my photography skills and PS techniques via intense consistent practice -- all within 6 - 8 months (via observation & experimentation). Bear in mind that I had like zero knowledge prior to this. As compared to most people, I don't think I'm learning that slow, or am I? :dunno:

Just some simple words here. No matter learning what, it is the passion and desire to learn that drive you. The old Chinese saying "tian xia wu nan shi, zhi pa you xin ren" applies to whatever things you want to go after in life.

JUST DO IT!~!~ Ads by NIKE....haha :bsmilie:

snowspeeder said:
That was exactly what I did. Though still quite a long way to go, I picked up my photography skills and PS techniques via intense consistent practice -- all within 6 - 8 months (via observation & experimentation). Bear in mind that I had like zero knowledge prior to this. As compared to most people, I don't think I'm learning that slow, or am I? :dunno:

Learning slow?? I have been shooting for 5 years liao, and my photos are nowhere near your standard leh...5 years - now thats slow! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

icarus said:
Learning slow?? I have been shooting for 5 years liao, and my photos are nowhere near your standard leh...5 years - now thats slow! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

No worries, different ppl hv different progress curves. Just accept it la... :bsmilie: Just kidding.

icarus said:

Come...and let me learn and absorb your skills and experience. :devil:

icarus said:

I was about to say I started 4 years ago and is no where near, darn... you beat me to it...
:bsmilie:

theITguy said:
My opinion:

Do not bother about going out with people to shoot or whatever as the main thing to start off. You can look for a temp/perm job in the photography field, that is to serve as an assistant where you will see all the real stuff, although hard way, but the fastest way to learn many stuff on the job. Of course you will get paid too (do not work for free, but I guess those that you work for free are not worth your time). But to warn you first, it is not easy and patient, alertness and willingness to sacrifice your time is some things you will need.

Other than that, you should go take some courses to learn more about photography while trying out the new skills you obtain in both courses and in your job.

You might be thinking of getting a camera, learn the basic, shoot with people then try to shoot events and weddings. I would say do not do that, too slow I would say. Besides that, there are also lower expectations in this way. As an assistant your photographer will be expecting a lot from you so you will learn many things faster this way, and you get the experience and you will know more links.

thank you all for your advice. greatly appreciated! but do anybody got any lobangs.. or ways that i can work as a temp assistant in the photography field?

Status
Not open for further replies.