Where to get more information on camera filters?

Soulblade88

Deregistered
Apr 6, 2014
Singapore
I read about 49mm and 52mm filters and i understand some are used for magnifying objects so that one can take pictures of tiny insects for example. Is there some sort of list/chart somewhere where you can get info on what one filter does to a picture for example.

I read about 49mm and 52mm filters and i understand some are used for magnifying objects so that one can take pictures of tiny insects for example. Is there some sort of list/chart somewhere where you can get info on what one filter does to a picture for example.
Use the sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029
In short:
The filter diameter does not say anything about the function. It is relevant to mount the filter on the lens. The lens thread diameter is printed on the front of the lens.
The different functions of the filter (your comment goes towards a close up filter) are explained in the sticky thread. Happy reading.

Last edited:
Do filters increase quality of pictures?

I know some filters are used for taking small objects like let's say clear images of insects but the filter is another barrier in front of the lens won't it cause the image to degrade in quality?

I know some filters are used for taking small objects like let's say clear images of insects but the filter is another barrier in front of the lens won't it cause the image to degrade in quality?

do you read? honestly do you read?

maybe start reading, then you get answers

I asked the question before reading.

Btw i heard you can make your own filters but that is probably not a good thing. Will ruin the picture.

Why dont you try googling for some answers? You can get answers more quickly, and probably learn even more than intended originally.

You are somewhat inviting some criticism by asking to be spoonfed.

Filters will always, YES,ALWAYS, degrade the image, causing -
1. Flares and glares
2. Distortions
3. Prolonged exposures. prolong shutter time and raise ISO
4. Colour cast
5. etc

But, if you understand the features of the particular filter in use, it can help to create a wonderful image.

Some answers are found in the links attached to this thread. And still ask those questions while the answere are there. :eek: :sweat:

Last edited:
I asked the question before reading.

Btw i heard you can make your own filters but that is probably not a good thing. Will ruin the picture.

You should read before you ask questions. People are kind enough to even provide specific links to your questions. All you need to do is click on those links and read. I mean... come on! Are you primary school kids?

Last edited:
Take a thoroughly washed sock and a metal ring and you have a filter .. a coffee filter. if not clean enough it will only ruin your coffee, not your picture.
Read the links provided and you will see that your question is too generic to be answered. With the huge variety of filters available you would need to ask for a specific filter, having a specific purpose in mind. Some filters even have a purposely degrading effect on the image.
There are filters that have been made in DIY way by photographers. Examples are ND filters (using wielding glass) and soft filters (using stock material).

OP / TS, CSers are generally a bunch of really helpful bunch. But please make an effort to help yourself first.

Last edited: