Where to get locally a spy lens?

azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Wanting to shoot portraits but don't want to annoy people if they don't like to be photographed.

I have tried searching the local MO but none seems to carry this, any shops here that sells it? trying to avoid eBay if possible.

Looking for a 52mm thread version.

Sim Lim Square or the upcoming IT Fair if you are looking for those small all in one types.

edit: camera lens for spy purposes, just about anything also can just that have to figure out how to hide the camera.

Last edited:
For the spy purpose, should go to this lens:

Canon EF 135mm f/2.8

Closest Focusing Distance : 1.3m / 4.3 ft.
Filter Size : 52mm
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight : 2.7" x 3.9", 13.8 oz. / 69.2 x 98.4mm, 390g

Nikon 135mm f/2.8 Nikkor AI-S

Closest Focusing Distance : 54 in
Filter Size : 52 mm
Diameter x Length : 2.5 in x 3.3 in
Weight : 15.3 oz

Where to get ? For the Canon version, Cathay Photo should have, I think.
For Nikon one, can try to search on the 2nd hand market ...

No need to use spy lens; just setup your camera on a tripod and trigger it with a wireless remote.

Or sit in one spot, turn on live view, tilt your LCD up and shoot that way.

Or learn to do what all street photographers have done: Just do it.

No lah, I plan to use 77mm lens shoot head and shoulder shots in an unfamiliar country, must use those spy right angle lens else wait kenna hantam. Local store have arh.. ok lah...

No lah, I plan to use 77mm lens shoot head and shoulder shots in an unfamiliar country, must use those spy right angle lens else wait kenna hantam. Local store have arh.. ok lah...
just dont get mistaken as a CIA operative. A lot of places very sensitive to "big camera" photos nowadays. Helps if you speak the language or in a group with a guide.

Sim lim tower 2 floor, GG electronic if I am not wrong.

SLS level 2 choicecycle might have

Erh,

I thought that logically, during daylight when you are using a certain short focal length, and you want to try portrait shots? I am sure the person would have noticed the opening on your lens. If you are discovered by them, you would get a worst thrashing/bashing from them.

Why not just get a proper tele-zoom and take them from a distance?

u should get a tele lens instead.

Not sure what brand of camera u use, but Sony has the world's smallest and lightest autofocus 500mm lens, weighing just 600g (which is very very light for a 500mm autofocus lens).

On a APS-C DSLR, u'll hv a 750mm equivalent FOV, that will allow u to take pictures from a VERY VERY FAR distance.

Erh,

I thought that logically, during daylight when you are using a certain short focal length, and you want to try portrait shots? I am sure the person would have noticed the opening on your lens. If you are discovered by them, you would get a worst thrashing/bashing from them.

Why not just get a proper tele-zoom and take them from a distance?
Tele won't be possible for this purpose, was planning to use it in a market/bazaar... but your point is valid, maybe better if I just ask permission, you know like simple nod signaling can I shoot?

Last edited:
For the spy purpose, should go to this lens:

Canon EF 135mm f/2.8

Closest Focusing Distance : 1.3m / 4.3 ft.
Filter Size : 52mm
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight : 2.7" x 3.9", 13.8 oz. / 69.2 x 98.4mm, 390g

Nikon 135mm f/2.8 Nikkor AI-S

Closest Focusing Distance : 54 in
Filter Size : 52 mm
Diameter x Length : 2.5 in x 3.3 in
Weight : 15.3 oz

Where to get ? For the Canon version, Cathay Photo should have, I think.
For Nikon one, can try to search on the 2nd hand market ...
Was not planning to bring my Nikon, but now that you mention it maybe I should, but don't have this lens closest I got is the 85mm (with larger diameter) a little further than my intended 77mm (Pentax).

Hmmm.. manual focusing might give me away that I am shooting at them secretly, having second thoughts about shooting secretly.. maybe I will shoot a bit further away half body shots auto-focus shoot and walk away.

Last edited:
Found my Nikkors tuck away back in the dry cabinet 105mm Macro f2.8 AIS and 200mm F4 AIS both 52mm threads like most Nikkor manual lens. Was going to shoot in the day anyway.. thanks for triggering this option, but heavy is not to my liking. Appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice.

Got a PM form CSer here going to get the spy lens from him but not yet decided if I will use.

Try Photojojo. If you are getting let me know. We get together. Shipping very expensive.