Where to get hands on for Pentax DSLR?

nightson

Nov 23, 2008
Hi,

I am getting a DSLR and I am considering Pentax. I have read good reviews about Pentax. The challenge is where can I get a hands on to try out the weight and feel of the camera on my hands and try out the dial and buttons. I can easily get a hands on for Canon, Nikon and Sony in stores like Courts, Harvey Norman and in the showroom, but Pentax is somewhat non-existence. I understand that SLRR and maybe TK Photo carries Pentax but not sure if they have a display set.

Ultimately, no matter how good a DSLR is, it has to feel good on my hand and I have to be comfortable with the dial and buttons.

yes, I feel the same, I always like to go to the stores to play with the latest compact camera,

any shop or mall I go, there are always display set to play with, Nikon D7000, D3200, D90 with 18-105 and Canon 60d,650d with 18-135 and Sony A57, A37 with the kit lens,

I find all of them quite bulky comparing to my Pentax Kx, especially the Sony A57 is like a big brick in my hand (although it is quite light);

D3200 and A37 is quite small and compact in average, but I still feel my Pentax kx easier to hold;

the only thing I notice is D90 and D7000 and 60D have huge viewfinder, and their hypersonic motor stablized kit lens are fast and silent comparing to the pentax kit lens, as most pentax lens is screw motor driving.

I guess another easy way is to join the pentax Oct outing, you can get more hands on and experience sharing,

although most pentax outing is in quite far area, the Oct outing may be in city area.

The K5 viewfinder is pretty big too... Though the 7D is bigger. And so is the D7000 if I am not wrong. But very minimal difference. Go FF for big viewfinders. Absolutely no comparison there.

Back to topic, so far I haven't really seen any shop where you can feel and shoot a Pentax DSLR. I ever felt a Kx at SLR Revo before but they didn't allow me to turn it on. Not sure if OP will be satisfied with that.

Hi there, I bought my K5 from Orient Photo and they did allow me to turn on and fiddle around with the camera. I think the service there is decent. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

Hi there, I bought my K5 from Orient Photo and they did allow me to turn on and fiddle around with the camera. I think the service there is decent. Hope this helps.

They allow you to do this because you are confirmed buying it. If you just want to try then they will not load in the battery for you to fire the shutter.

They allow you to do this because you are confirmed buying it. If you just want to try then they will not load in the battery for you to fire the shutter.

I suggest that the new distributor, none other than APDS set up a "Feel and Touch" booth/station at every Pentax Outing and another one at their office lobby.
They could limit the number of people by having a online registration via Clubsnap.

i think PhilipKr35 is right. APDS should have demo sets.its not possible for them not to have any

I suggest that the new distributor, none other than APDS set up a "Feel and Touch" booth/station at every Pentax Outing and another one at their office lobby.
They could limit the number of people by having a online registration via Clubsnap.

I agree. For now, it seems more like a leap of faith to choose Pentax since I can't handle the camera before buying. I have tried Nikon D7000 with the 18-300mm lens at their showroom... my hands tired after 15mins of holding it :bsmilie: At least I get to feel the weight before buying and know that the combo is not for me.

I agree. For now, it seems more like a leap of faith to choose Pentax since I can't handle the camera before buying. I have tried Nikon D7000 with the 18-300mm lens at their showroom... my hands tired after 15mins of holding it :bsmilie: At least I get to feel the weight before buying and know that the combo is not for me.

The best way is to join the outings.
You get more knowledgable info and get to try out all the cameras and quite a few lenses.

nightson said:

The weight of Kr body is about ~430g, D7000 body is ~730g; the grip of Kr is better than D7000 with one hand. Usually it is recommended to shoot w both hands w DSLR. So when u test with one hand, it's not so representative. But when put on kit lens, it's heavy even with two hands for d7000+18-105VR, but Kr +18-135 kit lens is lesser, with a better grip, feels better. K30 grip is even better, K5 grip I tried once when I sold a manual lens to someone , it's very good also.K5 body weighs more.~700g. Personally I prefer K5 weight, as Kr with a prime lens, can become too light.

Yes, I always shudder when I hear people praising a shop for allowing them to play liberally with camera.. It is fine if you have a dedicated display unit which you then sell off at a cheaper price at the end of the day when it becomes too crummy-looking. It is another thing to let people touch, feel, play, even drop or knock, and then sell off the unit as a brand new one later on. Which I understand one particular friendly shop used to do (not sure if they still do it). :bsmilie:

sigh... u guys got me worried now... maybe I bought a display unit! :eek:

sigh... u guys got me worried now... maybe I bought a display unit! :eek:

It's not *that* big a thing really. I won't worry too much about it since the shop I mentioned usually charges a high price for Pentax. :bsmilie:

If everyone was more responsible and practised a philosophy of "do unto others what they would do unto you", there won't be any demand to test out cameras by snapping and operating it incessantly in my view. After all, you can feel that it's ok in the shop for that 5-10 minutes you play with it... Then you buy it and go home and it isn't what you thought. That's life. I'm all for people trying out the feel, but my definition of feel has to do with weight, fit with size of hands, etc. People will have their own preferences as to how buttons are laid out and how the camera is operated, and sometimes getting to know your preferences does take time. For example, I've mentioned countless times that I don't like the K5/K-r's operation of holding "ok" to switch between AF selection and ISO/flash/drive mode/etc. But I live with it.

Actually I do homework and scour it like an eagle before I preyed on my KR. I didn't even touch it let alone join the outing. Now I am a happy user while not too fussy on things afterall it is just a tool same as cns can take photo and change lens can already.

edutilos- said:
It's not *that* big a thing really. I won't worry too much about it since the shop I mentioned usually charges a high price for Pentax. :bsmilie:

If everyone was more responsible and practised a philosophy of "do unto others what they would do unto you", there won't be any demand to test out cameras by snapping and operating it incessantly in my view. After all, you can feel that it's ok in the shop for that 5-10 minutes you play with it... Then you buy it and go home and it isn't what you thought. That's life. I'm all for people trying out the feel, but my definition of feel has to do with weight, fit with size of hands, etc. People will have their own preferences as to how buttons are laid out and how the camera is operated, and sometimes getting to know your preferences does take time. For example, I've mentioned countless times that I don't like the K5/K-r's operation of holding "ok" to switch between AF selection and ISO/flash/drive mode/etc. But I live with it.

Its always been a practice to "hands on" before buying for lots of things. E.g. Consumer electronics, cars, laptops.

Pns was always available for hands on cos no worries over shutter actuation so pple kinda expect it and are a bit surprised when dslrs follow different rules.

I see no harm with having display sets but the cost of the set WILL be factored into the per unit cost. There's no free lunch in this world.

Do i want to pay more just to hands on? Maybe not...

Back then while looking for my first DSLR, I scoured the net like nutz before I came across Pentax.

The moment I held it, I loved it... Don't have the plasticky-crap feeling like the other camps.

I think you should go IMM, not sure Harvey Norman or Best Denki. I see they have a pink Kr, K-01 and K30 on display with some lenses. Not sure about K5 though coz I didn't see it..

Go check it out...

my first dslr is my current dslr - K-x

i found pentax via internet forums 3 years ago

ive never looked back

Back then while looking for my first DSLR, I scoured the net like nutz before I came across Pentax.

The moment I held it, I loved it... Don't have the plasticky-crap feeling like the other camps.

I think you should go IMM, not sure Harvey Norman or Best Denki. I see they have a pink Kr, K-01 and K30 on display with some lenses. Not sure about K5 though coz I didn't see it..

Go check it out...

Cool! I think should be Best Denki as Harvery Norman don't carry Pentax. Thanks mate!