Where to get good consumer Walkie Talkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picard

May 27, 2004
Clementi, Singapore
I am interested in getting those small consumer walkie talkies for personal use. I am wondering WHERE in Singapore is a good place to get and WHICH is a good brand (3 to 5 km is suffice) and HOW much.

Your views please.

Thanks

Anyone?

Thought of getting one and using it for a corporate function this weekend.

thanks

wrong place to ask...

anyway, if u just wanna get cheap ones, i think the Shiro ones are ok? (never use them b4)

the dedicated ones are very expensive.

3-5KM? Got consumer walkie-talkies that can go this far?

i was at Funan yesterday and found that some of the shop do sell walkie talkie from Motorola, price ranges from 80+ to 100+++ depending on features and range.....

i suspect SLS will be selling at a lower rate.......try your luck there...........

Picard said:
I am interested in getting those small consumer walkie talkies for personal use. I am wondering WHERE in Singapore is a good place to get and WHICH is a good brand (3 to 5 km is suffice) and HOW much.

Your views please.

Thanks

plinius said:
i was at Funan yesterday and found that some of the shop do sell walkie talkie from Motorola, price ranges from 80+ to 100+++ depending on features and range.....

i suspect SLS will be selling at a lower rate.......try your luck there...........

per pc or per pair?

ermm...according to the specs printed on the packaging yes...IIRC it states 3miles...but of course i think those are ideal condition like in the open w/o talling buildings etc etc.......

espn said:
3-5KM? Got consumer walkie-talkies that can go this far?

per pair....packaging are in pairs..... quite tempted to get one pair to play around with wifey... heh..........

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
per pc or per pair?

Get those seriously good ones like motorola, around $100 a pair. There is a good shop somewhere on the 2nd floor of Sim Lim Square, next to the small coffeeshop. They won't kotok you like some other shops do.

Shiro walkie are approved by IDA for use locally but then it is lousy. I bought 6 pairs last year June and by now 7unit already spoil..send 2 twice to replace but still spoil not soon after. NO Good IMO. Unless you are looking to pay something for short term use!

As for motorola I got 2 pair, well it is good, hardy to drop and can tahan abit of rain outdoor. Goes along with earpiece or throat mic as well. I use it often when going on long distance biking trip beyond singapore.
Rain or Shine...it's hands-free!
But then those "buy and use" without subscription motorola walkie are not approved for use by IDA singapore...when using locally do becareful as you will interfere with other frequency....(guess who frequency most likely???)
To buy go to SLT..2nd or 3rd level can get a decent 5miles/8km range for $80. A throat mic cost about $25.

my 2c to share..

Get those millitary use one, shiok, very good distance :)

dominator said:
Shiro walkie are approved by IDA for use locally but then it is lousy. I bought 6 pairs last year June and by now 7unit already spoil..send 2 twice to replace but still spoil not soon after. NO Good IMO. Unless you are looking to pay something for short term use!

Don't buy this item .... Shiro Model: SA1100 (Made IN CHina) walkie talkies.... I think cost $60 ... better donate the $$$ to NKF better than to buy this! My set lasted for only 2 months!

...and keep the opinions coming.

Appreciate the sharing. Thinking of buying one personally for travels to M'sia - shopping lah (you, when wifey dissapears into the lingerie section, I dissapear into the 'DVD /VCD' corner) and have to stay in touch. Erm! ;p

Cheers

better to buy motorola ones. nicer and more features...

We used 2 pairs of the Motorola T4500 for a recent trip to Tokyo. I think I bought them for about S$55 (grey set, no warranty) in Sim Lim Square. If I remembered right, Funan was selling them for about S$75.

It is really small and handy. However, the clip is awful. We must have dropped each set at least half a dozen times. Better to chain it around your neck. At least they are all still working.

It uses 3AAA batteries. When fully charged, rechargable AAA batteries (not provided) lasts about 2 days. The effective range is about 1/2-2/3 the width of Tokyo Disneyland. In Tokyo, the maximum range was about 3 blocks. It will cover a small shopping center easily. We used 3G phones for backup when the walkie talkies were out of range.

The more powerful models that cover 5 miles are much bigger and more expensive but comes with rechargable batteries and gives you the option of adding an earpiece. Which model to get depends on how far you intend to stray from your partner, I guess.

Picard said:
...and keep the opinions coming.

Appreciate the sharing. Thinking of buying one personally for travels to M'sia - shopping lah (you, when wifey dissapears into the lingerie section, I dissapear into the 'DVD /VCD' corner) and have to stay in touch. Erm! ;p

Cheers

no good no good...(if you location is where i am thinking)all people, at least 100+++ of them working in "DVD/VCD" area carry a motorola walkie talkie! can't imagine how many people will reply to your call for wife!

Status
Not open for further replies.