Where to get good and cheap tripods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Jan 25, 2004
Just need it for leisure/self shots during holidays, something thats not too flimsy... anyone can recommend a good place to get? under $40??

:embrass: carrfour? $20++ to $30++

Good and cheap are seldom found together, what you are looking for is a value for money tripod, you first need to know the weight of your camera and if the tripod can hold that weight.

You need to know the weight of your camera, and the weight your new tripod can sustain. Usually to be safe, I'll not load my tripod with more than 80% of the allowed weight of my tripod.

If you camera is a point and shoot, any tripod will do, except those tiny foldable ones.

vil said:
Just need it for leisure/self shots during holidays, something thats not too flimsy... anyone can recommend a good place to get? under $40??

Dennis said:
This may translate to very expensive once your camera fall off.
that is very true but I've been using a carrefoure tripod for about 2 yrs and it hasn't fallen off or broken anything till now. It comes with a spirit level too, and it didn't cost me more than $30.

I don't see how the camera can fall off if it is secured properly.

vil: If you don't need to change the tripodhead for different purposes, the carrefoure tripods are quite good actually. It's lightweight too! The only downside to it is that the tallest tripod they have is not really tall enough for me. But for leisure walk around shoots, I still carry my cheapo tripod in case I need a stable platform.

Else, if I know I am going for a night shoot, I'll definitely bring my 30yr silk tripod :D (hand-me-down from my dad :bsmilie: )

Alternatively, you can try this mini store at the basement of SLS, next to the food court. They have a "not bad" tripod at "not bad" a price too.

yanyewkay said:
I don't see how the camera can fall off if it is secured properly.

Try mounting a 10D with 70-200 f/2.8LIU with 550EX flash on your carrefour tripod, secure it properly and see if it'll fall off.

Virgo said:
Try mounting a 10D with 70-200 f/2.8LIU with 550EX flash on your carrefour tripod, secure it properly and see if it'll fall off.

A good tripod also gives better locking, panning and adjustment a hell lot easier. In another word, it is smooth in operation. I had tried using a cheap tripod and when I started panning it, the whole tripod moved together with the motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.