Where to get filters for oly camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylelam77

Apr 7, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Thinking of protecting my investment and need advice from u guys. As i am a newbie, i dun know much abt all these but i think i need these few things for my oly 2040:

1) Oly CLA-1
2) Step up ring what size is best for the oly 2040?
3) A UV lens - Hoya?
4) A star filter - probably 6 star
5) A circular polariser - Hoya again?

Where shld i get all these? Cos i am a newbie. i dun even know wat sizes are there. if go and buy sure kenna cai tow one. Would AP be fine? Can someone also give me an estimate of the costs of these eqpt? Thanks!!!

erm, btw i am concerned abt the flash shadowing effect. what does it mean? Also, which lens adapter wouldnt have this effect on my oly 2040. Tried to search the forums for this but explanation was difficult to understand.....

Originally posted by kylelam77
erm, btw i am concerned abt the flash shadowing effect. what does it mean? Also, which lens adapter wouldnt have this effect on my oly 2040. Tried to search the forums for this but explanation was difficult to understand.....

The Flash Shadowing effect happens when the lens adapter blocks out part of the flash, causing the part of the image to be under-exposed.

As for where to but the accessories and waht to buy, maybe you can chk with the C-2040z Old Birdies like Blitz or Kevin, I'm sure they'll be more than glad to help u out. ;)

jayan,
how you know Blitz or Kevin has got old birds :bsmilie:

Originally posted by looteer
jayan,
how you know Blitz or Kevin has got old birds :bsmilie:

Hello Bro, don't twist my words ok???

They THEMSELVES are the Old Birds!!!!!

LOL :bsmilie:

are there 43mm star filters, polarizer cos i may get the cla-1 and a step up ring to 43mm? Or would it be better to get the 41-37mm adapter and get these 2 accessories in 37mm? Help!

are there 43mm star filters, polarizer cos i may get the cla-1 and a step up ring to 43mm? Or would it be better to get the 41-37mm adapter and get these 2 accessories in 37mm? Help!

Em....I thought the CLA-1 is threaded for 43mm attachments??? How come still need to step-up to 43mm???

Anyway, the extended lens of the C-2040z is still a wee bit longer than the CLA-1, so using a 43mm thin filter may cause the lens to "langah" the filter......the Old Birds in ClubSNAP recommeded using a step-up ring to add a few more mm.

As for which step-up ring to get for the CLA-1, some good, common size filters are threaded in 49mm, 52mm, 55mm and 58mm. But the problem is the bigger the filter, the chance of blocking out the flash and the optical viewfinder is greater.

Some Lao Jiaos prefer the OEM lens adapter cos it eliminates the need for a step-up ring and don't block the flash or viewfinder that much.

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2942

My armour for my 2040 is as follows:

1) CLA-1 ($30)
2) 43-52mm step up ($8)
3) Tokina 52mm UV filter ($8)
4) Oly C-210 1.9x Teleconvertor ($70)

Yet to buy a Cir Polariser

All bought from CP during one of the SEED

If you dont want to step up which will block the view finder and flash, you can buy the vitacon 43-37 adaptor.

Kevin and Blitz are using that.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll go with the oem lens adapter cos i only want to attach some lenses on it and not aux lenses. So i gather the best place to buy would be at CP?

I haf another question. Is it difficult to find filters for 37mm threads if i were to get the 43-37mm adapter?

I haf another question. Is it difficult to find filters for 37mm threads if i were to get the 43-37mm adapter?

Welcome. Not too sure about 37mm filters. Can ask Kevin or Blitz.

Hi, been busy, so didn't read this thread until now. CP sells only CLA-1. John and AP sells the 43-37mm lens tube. JOhn3:16 only sell the 37mm Hoya UV Filter and Vitacon TC and WC lens. No polarise Filter. Yes, 37mm filter is difficult to find and more ex than common size like 52mm, 55mm and 58mm etc. So I end up getting a CLA-1 as lens tube for outdoor purpose to use with PL and other outdoor filter. I use the 43-37mm for indoor flash shots. Hope this help. :)

ok, so it seems that i haf no choice but to get 2 adapters. There isnt a one adapter fits all filter rite? Sigh, so much for my 37mm polariser, star filter and uv.....

Wouldn't stepping down cause vignetting at wide angle?

well, my sky filter at 37mm doesnt produce any vignetting but my 37mm polariser does tho at wide angle.

yeah..very common with polariser b'cos of its dual ring -> extra thickness.

hmm, i was suspecting that the thickness of the polariser was causing it.....

no need to suspect liao..u're rite! ;) But the step down only worsen it. Well, use it as a sort of framing/border lor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.